Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Store Images

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Thought I would start a thread on images of hat stores. Maybe we can document the stores that are still around, and images of them for our viewing pleasure. I accidentally ended up in St.Augustine this weekend, and finally snuck away long enough to visit the Panama Hat Company store on St George st. It was actually better than I thought it would be. There were a lot of people in the store and buying hats. I saw lots of fedoras on heads while wandering around. They had some really fine looking panama's on display. Now I better understand what that "linen" look of a Montecristi looks like. It was gorgeous.
First pic is outside the store.
panama-hats1.jpg

Inside the store
panama-hats2.jpg

Closeup of the panama$ on display
panama-hats3.jpg

Another wide shot with the more expensive hats on display behind the counter.
panama-hats4.jpg

IC...sorry I couldn't hook up with you...I was only there a short time, and had to spend time with the wife's family.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nice thread, Jack.

I visited the PHC 2 Summers ago. The proprietor was very friendly and was really interested when I told him that I'd mention his place on the Lounge. He acted as though I'd given him a 2 page ad in Esquire. The panamas there are great.

For anyone who hasn't seen my photos of Optimo in earlier threads, note that the prices on the board are outdated.

Edit: Bolt, add about $50 to the prices on the felt hats for current prices. I understand that the Optimo 1000 is just that - $1000.
The camera is a Nikon D80 with a really swell lens (which still does't help when I fail to properly focus.)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are other threads along these same lines already - I remember ones with pictures from Byrnie Utz here in Seattle; Optimo; one in (I believe) New Haven, CT; Village Hatters in Long Beach, CA - just to name a few. Maybe they could all be joined into one, rather than several separate posts.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
There are other threads along these same lines already - I remember ones with pictures from Byrnie Utz here in Seattle; Optimo; one in (I believe) New Haven, CT; Village Hatters in Long Beach, CA - just to name a few. Maybe they could all be joined into one, rather than several separate posts.
Excellent suggestion. There are many threads with photos of Hat Shops/Stores/Facilities. Joining them all together would be terrific.

Razzman

One Too Many
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Excellent idea. Great pictures. Thanks for posting. When I see the interior photos of the shops, I feel like I'm back in time.

univibe88

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:

I've been meening to get down to Del Monico Hatters in New Haven. Now I have more motivation to go.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
So, let's get to gettin' 'em all in one place.

fedoralover said:
Here's some pics of Bernie Utz hat shop in downtown Seattle. It's a nice place to visit just to see the variety of hats.

I had to get a pic of myself standing under this sign as I'm wearing a Borsalino
DSCN0297.jpg

DSCN0296.jpg

DSCN0299.jpg

Here's a pic of the Borsalino that cost $425. and the liner isn't even sewn in.

DSCN0300.jpg

fedoralover

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The old shops that put the new ones to shame, by the old poster who does the same.

Marc Chevalier said:

A Fedora Lounge exclusive – you won’t see these anywhere else (until now).

The photos below were taken from 1916 to 1921 by Clement Kieffer, Jr., a pioneer in the store window display field. Mr. Kieffer played a very active part in professionalizing a type of work that never been taken seriously in America. He was a co-founder and Executive Committee chairman of the “International Association of Display Men.”

Clement Kieffer designed the window displays for WEED, arguably the most prestigious men’s haberdasher in Buffalo, New York. Mr. Kieffer took photos of nearly every one of his displays from 1916 to 1921. He pasted these photos in a book, which is now in my hands.

Take a look at the incredible variety of hats. There are a surprisingly large number of fedoras for such an early date. Note the many, many types of “messy” dents and bashes. Some very light colors, and a lot of expensive velours. Great golf/driving caps. You’ll even see a few porkpies and a straw hat with a colorful paisley puggaree band. Who would have thought it?

For photos of suits and overcoats, click on these links:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=21549

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=365557

Letterstoson053.jpg

Letterstoson055.jpg

Letterstoson054.jpg

Letterstoson060.jpg

Letterstoson063.jpg

Letterstoson064.jpg

Letterstoson065.jpg

panama jack

One of the Regulars
univibe88 said:
I've been meaning to get down to Del Monico Hatters in New Haven. Now I have more motivation to go.

univibe88,

Have you been to DelMomico Hatters? It's a great place. There is a gentlemen in there that I have dealt with and is very helpful. His name is Barry.
I just won a vintage Mallory on e-bay that I want to take there and have cleaned. The hat is supposed to arrive tomorrow. If it does I plan on taking a trip down there. I should take my camera and see if they wouldn't mind me taking a few pictures that I can add to this thread. The place has been in business for over 100 years.

pj

univibe88

One Too Many
panama jack said:
univibe88,

Have you been to DelMomico Hatters? It's a great place. There is a gentlemen in there that I have dealt with and is very helpful. His name is Barry.
I just won a vintage Mallory on e-bay that I want to take there and have cleaned. The hat is supposed to arrive tomorrow. If it does I plan on taking a trip down there. I should take my camera and see if they wouldn't mind me taking a few pictures that I can add to this thread. The place has been in business for over 100 years.

pj

No I haven't. I live in Boston. I do spend a lot of time in CT for work, but it's always in Hartford or Stamford. I rarely get to New Haven. I need to make a trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk