Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat store review - Hats by Haber

Washington

New in Town
I've been lurking here for quite sometime, and I rarely have anything to contribute (I'm usually just soaking up the knowledge around here). So for my first thread and post I thought I would try to add to the pool of information as best I could.

I live in the Northern Virginia area just outside of Washington DC and have found there are limited stores in the area catering to decent hats. One exception (after the review, you can be the judge) exists in Maryland, Hats by Haber (www.hatalog.com).

As I've been trying to find my first fedora (I sold the only one I've had, a Mallory that just didn't look right, on eBay) I knew I needed to try on some to get a feel for what looked right before I committed to buying another vintage one or having one custom made and with few locations to put my hands on different styles I made the 45 min. jaunt to Silver Spring to give this store a go.....what an odd experience.

Gilda Haber runs the store out of her home in a residential neighborhood. There aren't normal business hours; she has drop in hours from 12-4 Sunday, Monday and Friday and short of the small hat hanging from the street address number you'd have a hard time finding it. I had hoped to find a reasonable selection of styles to try given the website full of Stetsons and Borsalinos. I was wrong.

Though somewhat friendly on the phone before my visit, I wasn't impressed with the service once I got there. The selection of hats really was pitiful. Perhaps she was in between order cycles, but by my estimate there couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 different fedoras styles on the shelf, and almost nothing in my size (7 3/8). I tried to wow her with my hat knowledge gained from reading this site for the last year but she was falling for it :). Gilda didn't seem to enthused for my business, perhaps since I made it clear from the outset that I wouldn't be buying anything on this visit, however I still would have expected some help in deciding on a style since I was the only one there at the time. I asked about brim widths and crown heights and she was unable to answer either for most of the models, and on more than one occasion she handed me hats that were at least two sizes too small.

Gilda said she does about 50% of her business on the web which I suppose is a good thing because I sure wouldn't do business there after visiting the shop.

Perhaps my experience was an isolated event and if others here have had better dealings with Hats by Haber or know of another store in the vicinity for me to get some "hands on" experience I would love to hear it.

Best,
Washington

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
I can't help you...

...in your search for a store in the DC area, but I can say that what you experienced -- lack of selection, lack of knowledge, lack of cooperation -- is not, unfortunately, a rare occurrence. When I first started getting into hats, I was going to Wormser Hats in Chattanooga, Tenn., which had been owned by the same knowledgeable gent for many years.

He later sold the store, and the know-nothings who replaced him lost themselves a repeat customer (that would be me) because they cared nothing about service, fit, or other essentials. All they cared about was the sale. I have encountered this several other places, as well.

There are, however, good retailers out there. Good luck with the search for one in the DC area.

Georgetown Tobacco does have some Montecristi panama hats, if you are interested in those.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
hat stores in DC

I 'm not sure of the name , but I remember meeting someone at the Borsalino office in New York that opened a hat store in one of the malls in DC .This was a year ago ,so I'm not sure if he is still open . A good hat store today is a hard thing to find !!
Come to Brooklyn !!!

Steven
Bencraft Hats;)

Washington

New in Town
I lived in Brooklyn...

Bayridge and Bensonhurst to be exact, about 10 years ago. Nice people, but I didn't fit in there. Me being a southern boy and all.

When I get back up that way, I'll have to stop and check you guys out.

Best,
Washington

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
I live practically a stone's throw from Haber Hats. When I moved back to the area, I did some basic research to find any decent hat stores in the area. I was initially happy to find Haber online and even happier when I found how close they were. I gave a call... and my excitement went downhill. I left a message for them to call me back (which they never did) and when I called again another day, there seemed to be a total lack of enthusiasm on the other end of the conversation. Needless to say I never went and haven't thought twice about looking back.

It's probably true that they do a lot of online business, but my guess is that they also cater heavily to the local orthodox Jewish community there. Haber's home/shop is smack in the middle of a big Jewish neighbourhood. If you drive through on any given Saturday, you'll see many Jews walking to Synagogue. I'm sure they get all the business they need via word of mouth and the local community. From their site, it looks like they have some decent hats, but I guess they're not hurting for my business.

There is a place (called the Hattery, I think) in Georgetown which has a decent selection of hats and Panamas. It's a nice looking shop, though like everything in Georgetown, it's pretty pricey.

If you want my opinion, either keep your eyes out for good vintage hats in antique stores, vintage clothing shops, thrift stores, etc., and you'll come across something nice for less than a newer and lower quality hat. That, or find a place like Hats In The Bellfry (in Alexandria or Inner Harbour in Baltimore) try on a bunch of styles to see what you like, and then contact Steve Delk/Fedora or Art Fawcet and have a custom hat made. You may find out it's actually cheaper in the long run and you'll get a better quality hat.

bink

Repeat please!

Burma Shave And the know-nothings who replaced him lost themselves a repeat customer (that would be me) because they cared nothing about service said:
Tis a strange thing, because anyone that knows about business, knows that without these essentials, sales are going to be further and fewer between all of the customer interactions. "Getting it right" for the customer and if there is a problem, "making it right" are keys to good business.

Any businessman should know that it is repeat business that makes the difference between success in the long term and sucess in the short term.

It's like saying there are 5 million people in my area, and if i can get everyone to buy my widgit just once, I'll have it made. With some items you can get more of them than others, but the view is short sighted if the item does not bring in people for repeat business. Should the item suck quality wise, you lose any hope of repeat business and your regular business drops as the word gets out. Even if it's an ok product, eventually you will exhaust the one time clientel base and you are gone. :eusa_doh:

Repeat business is key and when you give good service, match it with a fine product, and the price shows good value for the quality of the item, you get repeat business and growth from the word of mouth advertising your customers will do on your behalf. :eusa_clap

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
Repeat business is key and when you give good service, match it with a fine product, and the price shows good value for the quality of the item, you get repeat business and growth from the word of mouth advertising your customers will do on your behalf. :eusa_clap

Simple... and yet this is a concept that perhaps only one in ten business people grasp. Maybe that should be my entry on the thread about bringing back things from the "Golden age," common sense. All too un-common these days.

danofarlington

Haber is good

Washington said:
I live in the Northern Virginia area just outside of Washington DC and have found there are limited stores in the area catering to decent hats. One exception (after the review, you can be the judge) exists in Maryland, Hats by Haber (www.hatalog.com).

I live in Northern Virginia too. A few years ago I bought a hat from Haber Hats at the store location; came in just shopping, but putting on the gray Borsalino, it worked so I bought it. Still use it--good dress hat. Haber Hats is good, and at the time I went they had a better selection of Borsalinos than any other local hat shop I've seen.

But I gave up on getting a broad selection of good hats locally. What local stores sell is what's in demand, rather than offering interesting new things it seems to me. So I resolved to go to the Internet for hats, and since then have been happy. Lots of selection, price comparisons, no problems. So if you want to search out your own style I would do that too. Other threads in this Lounge talk about which are the good Internet hat stores. You can also get vintage hats on EBay, of course, and might as well buy as many of those as you want as you figure out your style. For me now, I mainly like buying new.

majormoore

Vendor
When I went to her web site, there was a nice photo, of a hat shop, at least inside one, showing alot of hats on the walls stacked up, is this the same when you went there? or is this really not, by looking at the site they seem to have alot of hats.

Major Moore

danofarlington

majormoore said:
When I went to her web site, there was a nice photo, of a hat shop, at least inside one, showing alot of hats on the walls stacked up, is this the same when you went there? or is this really not, by looking at the site they seem to have alot of hats.

Actually I couldn't see the inside-store photo on her website www.hatalog.com. I'm not very swift sometimes with websites. But yes, when I went there there were shelves of hats against the walls, because it's in a house or townhouse (been a while since I was there) converted to hat shop use, and she had a fairly large selection. Not as many as the retail stores, but better hats. I bought a fedora there (Borsalino naturally) and didn't buy a fedora at local retailers, which is my principal statement.

ghaber

New in Town
The first report on my store, in business for 28 years, was from an unhappy man who spent an hour asking questions, never bought anything and left in a huff. I think he was out to show how much he knew about hats which was minimal. 98% of men who come to my hat shop do buy. This gentleman was an exception. I have an email list of hundreds of satisfied regular customers including radio, T.V. and news reporters. I offer personal attention to each customer and make sure that a customer is satisfied with his purchase.

ghaber

New in Town
-Arch Campbell, Long time Hats by Haber customer, ABC7 News & WJLA host of The Arch Campbell Show
“People always ask me where I got my hat or cap and always state that no one wears a cap like me! I always tell them I got my hat or cap at Hats by Haber. If you want hats and caps I recommend Hats by Haber. There’s absolutely no better service!”
-Paul Austin, Long time customer, author of “Return of the Lost One”
"Borsalino hats and caps bought from Hats by Haber in Silver Spring, MD, are my signature hats.
As an attorney, these hats provide the distinguished appearance which as an international art dealer I need when presenting art to collectors.
Hats by Haber hats provide the stylish look that complements the museum milieu and the quality art which I sell to my investors world-wide.
I highly recommend Hats by Haber for quality and service."

Jerry Thomas, Jr., Long time Hats by Haber customer

tommyK

One Too Many
Fellow loungers I have friends near that area of Virginia and have been meaning to check it out next time I visit there. I"ll give it a go, let you know what happens. And yes, if service is good and there's something I want, I will buy.

I have little doubt there are people who, in a candid moment, might rightfully have less than glowing things to say about me and my work and my way of doing business. I regret that, but I accept it. And I do better, I hope.
And, like you, ghaber, I'm sure I would be irritated as you are if i discovered I had been publicly bad-mouthed, especially in a way I felt was unfair and inaccurate.
But I question the wisdom in dredging up a nearly 8-year-old thread, started by a member with all of 41 posts, and who hasn't been heard from around here since 2007. Perhaps some good may come of it -- if it prompts others to stop by and offer somewhat more favorable commentary, say. If you're confident that's a likely enough scenario, well, okay then.

Last edited:
Oh, and as for the customer testimonials ... I hear they can be effective. If that is indeed so, you're smart to use them.
But you tell us in your initial post that the person who made the unflattering commentary, a person about whom we know essentially nothing, doesn't know what he's talking about. And in your second post you ask us to take the word of people about whom we know essentially nothing.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Well said Indeed. I might add that The State Governor, Legislator, Mayor or local New's commentator , "if recognized" will always get and expect great service. After all anyone in private business knows it can open or close the many doors of opportunity. In contrast what about the "average Joe" who is looking and trying to feel his way through the hat buying learning experience?
The Soup Nazi says, "no soup for you" please leave!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn