Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Weigh-in

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From trying many hats over time I've found that the weight of a hat is important in how it feels when worn. I'll be posting the weight of different hats as I wear them along with their size information.
The format will be photo of hat, weight to 1 decimal place and size of hat.

I'll start with a hat made by Cane Rod Maker that I found very light for a felt hat. It's made from a 100% beaver sand colored Winchester felt and has been heavily pounced to make it light. It is lined.
IMG_4854.JPG

IMG_4858.JPG

Weight: 5.0 oz. Size: In between 7 5/8 and 7 3/4 with a 2 3/4" brim.

Miller Milan Homburg - Unlined
IMG_5501.JPG

Weight: 4.6 oz. Size: 7 3/4 with a 2 5/8" brim (when uncurled).

If anyone else would like to join in just list the hat with details (and a photo if available).

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Wow nice looking hats! How are you doing the "weight"? (what sort of a scale)????? I know what you mean about a heavy hat compared to something that feels like it is merely "floating" on your head. The same is true about the way a hat fits! A too tight hat, makes me feel like I have been "scalped" (and by a very dull knife, too)!

casechopper

VS Camilla (Arts Hitchhiker Model made with a Nutria blend felt). Lined.
IMG_5524.JPG

Weight: 5.2 oz. Size ~7 3/4. Brim Width: 2 7/8"

Rogera

This looks like fun Casechopper! Here is my Penman Beaver at 5.6 ounces Size 22 3/8 and 2.5 X 2.75 Dimensional Brim

And as a contrast weight-wise my Open Road 7 1/8 2.75 weighing in at 4.3 ounces

casechopper

Thanks for the addition Roger.

Resistol San Antonio - Liner removed
IMG_5536.JPG

Weight: 4.6 oz. Size 7 3/4, Brim width: 2 5/8" - 2 3/4".

casechopper

I was actually surprised at how light this weighed out to be. Possibly the thinner sweatband as compared to other hats means the weight of the hat is supported by a smaller area of ones head causing it to be felt more? It's not uncomfortable but it feels heavier than the first hat I listed even though it weighs 0.4 oz. less.
All that ribbon must be weighing it down Sam.....:O

casechopper

Hi Roger,
There's more pictures in the post new hats thread. It's a campdraft that was modified by Indycop (a past forum member who isn't around much anymore from whom I purchased it). I like it quite a bit myself.

Rogera

Hi Roger,
There's more pictures in the post new hats thread. It's a campdraft that was modified by Indycop (a past forum member who isn't around much anymore from whom I purchased it). I like it quite a bit myself.

It looks great. Indycop always pulled the wide brim off really well as do you.

Last edited:
This German Negretti Melone (early 1900s) weighs about 4 ounces which is super light for a stiff felt. Vintage soft felt Borsalino Featherweights weigh in around 2 ounces.

4796482610_67424523dc_b.jpg

4795852433_682868b672_b.jpg

Last edited:

Rogera

Wow Alan thats pretty light. You just about have to anchor that one down! And two once Borsalinos? Probably easy to forget you were wearing those!

I've heard the lightweights referred to as two-ounce bodies, though with sweatbands and liners, most of mine are in the 2.5 - 3.0 ounce range. I have many hats in the 3.0 - 4.0 ounce range. The more expensive dress hats from the 1950s with their dense felt (Knox 20, Knox 40, etc.) and stiff hats (as Steve mentions) tend to be heavier. Topping the scale are my large westerns, though they still seem light in comparison to modern hats, perhaps because they are supple and flexible.

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
This is a fun thread. I went out and got a kitchen scale at walmart for 20 bucks. I don't have pictures but my Akubra Campdraft with liner removed size 60 is 4.5oz. My heaviest hat is my custom Mackey with 4 1/4 brim size 59 weighing in at 8.7oz.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
This Adam Executive "Constellation" weighs in at 4.1oz...
xL8dwQnl.jpg

...while this Knox Homburg weighs 5.1oz...
gDHyqvzl.jpg

...and this Knox "Miracle Felt" Vagabond weighs only 2.7oz.
GEtAz2Fl.jpg

I also have a fuzzy western hat of unknown make that weighs a full 9.1 oz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points