Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatbox Homage

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
They are often ignored and derided, sometimes treated as mere packaging and discarded, but the humble hatbox has a long history and is often a piece of social history, and a work of art in its own right.

Got a hatbox or two dozen? Then this is the place to show 'em off. Rare ones and common ones, colourful ones and plain ones - post 'em here and let's see what they tell us about the times they were created, the hats they once carried and the people who took them home from the hatshop.

Yes hat lovers, it's time we honoured the humble hatbox.

Let me make a start:

I recently bought this ancient - and according to Brad Bowers, quite rare - Dobbs top hat box. It contains an antique derby (of unknown origin) rather than its original occupant, but the raised lettering and thick card construction shows that this new (as Dobbs then was) hatmaker was out to make a statement.

AntiqueDerbyDobbsbox2.jpg
AntiqueDerbyDobbsbox1.jpg

At the other end of the spectrum is my newest hatbox - the current Akubra issue.

SDC10246.jpg

Righto. Your turn!

billyspew

One Too Many
I'm in.
60's British Stetson Box, almost suede in feel (with the bowler)
3987837643_20eb2dc19d.jpg

I'll have to dig the others out and photograph, have a few Adam ones (obviously) ;)

I find it interesting that some companies (Adam & Stetson) used lots of different designs, while others (Knox) seemed to stay pretty static, would be good to know if there were actually small differences throughout the years.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Stetson 100 leather suitcase

Here is the Stetson 100 leather case with red interior with plastic inserts for hat.

B

hundred_7.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
billyspew said:
I find it interesting that some companies (Adam & Stetson) used lots of different designs, while others (Knox) seemed to stay pretty static, would be good to know if there were actually small differences throughout the years.

You're right Billy. I have 3 different Stetson boxes and have seen lots more. Yet Dobbs and Knox maintained their famous octagonal boxes for ages. I wonder what the reason was for that.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Buler those are three magnificent boxes. Fantastic!
I remember drooling over those when you posted them in the other thread.

What do Rolls Royce boxes like that tell us about the company and its confidence in itself - and about the buyer?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Capper & Capper Chicago

Churchill box - 1960's.
It 'aint pretty - but it is dignified. Some boxes were produced by the manufacturer, others by the retailer. This is one of the latter - with a Churchill sticker.

SDC10190.jpg
SDC10191.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
A couple of common Stetsons

This is probably the most common Stetson box and was used by them in the later 50s and 60s. It was bound by a cotton strap that tied in a bow.

SDC10180.jpg

I'm not sure when they started using this rather drab grey hatbox below. Its made of very thin card and is vastly inferior to the above box. I have a hunch it is also late 50s into the 60s. This little number was strapless!

SDC10382.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Here's a fancy one. The hat sitting on it (the one which came in it when I made the purchase) is not the 'Privateer' but I was lucky enough to get that actual model later to complete the set. :)

5b88_1-1.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Shudde Bros

From the artful to the functional. This mail order box from Shudde Bros Texas containing my Open Road is postmarked June 9, 1961 - a very good year! It cost 0.58c to post.

I gotta tell ya this box is like the hat - solid as a rock.

SDC10383.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
Here's a fancy one. The hat sitting on it (the one which came in it when I made the purchase) is not the 'Privateer' but I was lucky enough to get that actual model later to complete the set. :)

5b88_1-1.jpg

I gotta say Gene, I do love those old boxes almost as much as the lids they contained. Look at the artwork on that beauty!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I love the scene on this box. Another one of my favorite Stetson hat boxes. This design was also used on a small Stetson gift box...

StetsonChristmasBox.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points