Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Birkenstocks

new2hats

A-List Customer
I love hats. But I also love birkenstocks. Birkenstocks help me prevent foot fungus, and theyre the only footwear that do, besides flip flops. If I had to choose between the two, I'd wear the birkenstocks for that reason. I own 12 pairs of birkenstocks, about 4 are active pairs that I rotate by season, indoor only, etc.

For hats I wear panama hats mainly (I own about 30 with varying quality), a fur felt fedora during the colder seasons (I wear the Bostons with it), and lately been trying out cowboy hats.

Anyone wear hats and birkenstocks, or are they mutual exclusive? What is acceptable for the hardcore hat wearer? So far I have been breaking convention and wearing both, but I do notice that when people see my hat, they automatically look down to my feet!

Thoughts?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I would consider Birkenstocks a sandal, therefore perfectly acceptable with a straw hat.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Normally I would point and laugh at the hipster but hey, medical reasons are medical reasons. I have a friend who cannot wear shoes almost at all or her feet have serious issues.

Do what you gotta do and do it with dignity. As long as you're neat and clean, you're fine. And, no, I wouldn't be caught dead in sandals, but that's just me.

Tom

There are Birkenstocks and then there are Birkenstocks. Some would work better with a fur-felt "dress" hat than others, but to my eye many would work just fine.

I wear felt hats with closed-toed sandals -- a pair of huaraches and some thrift-shop Skechers which have served me well for a couple three or four years now -- and it doesn't concern me one little bit that the sartorial police might find some violation in it. Me, I would rather see rule breakers than people who obviously try just too darned hard to be "properly" turned out (by whichever standards). You know, the sort of person whose attire says "I'm so concerned about every little detail of my attire -- 'look at ME' -- that it's hard for other people to notice anything about me beyond that, because that, after all, is the vibe I'm projecting."

This is not to say that a person should disregard standards of dress in particular contexts (shorts and a tank top at a church funeral might not win a guy many friends), but we're talking about your everyday attire, right? About the worst that might be said is that it's mildly eccentric. But these days, you can say that about hats themselves, and that doesn't stop any of us.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I wear sandals in the summer with a casual felt fedora, and I am very comfortable as such. If you like the way you look in something, then, as stated above, if you're neat and clean, then it's all good.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I don't do sandals, but I do enjoy "crocs" especially in warmer weather, with and without socks, depending on weather.
I wear them with jeans, casual slacks and shorts.
I match my hat ... "dressyness," color, shape ... with the pants and shirt and the shoes end up fine ... at least in my opinion.

Sartorially Slendid Sam

Anyone wear hats and birkenstocks, or are they mutual exclusive? What is acceptable for the hardcore hat wearer? So far I have been breaking convention and wearing both, but I do notice that when people see my hat, they automatically look down to my feet! Thoughts?

I have a pretty serious case of mild eccentricity, but I say go for it. Just be sure to wear your black birks with a top hat and tails. And remember that life is short and convention is meant to be broken.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Well, I don't wear Berkies, but sometimes wear Crocs with hats.:cool: Now that will get a few second looks here in cowboy country - hat or no hat! Same with wearing tenney runners with a cowboy hat.......:D That said, I am too old to care what folks think about my outfit. One of the luxuries of getting older.;)

mdove

Familiar Face
I am new to this fedora stuff and was concerned about a fedora, shorts, aloha shirts and crocs. Know what....from what I am reading from you folks, I will be right in style. A bit eccentric, but WTF, I am retired and have earned the right. The only leather shoes I own are combat boots....30 years in boots and you really do not need civilian shoes. Maybe this summer we should have some pic posts of us in our fancy outfits. I bet we would be stunning.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
I am new to this fedora stuff and was concerned about a fedora, shorts, aloha shirts and crocs. Know what....from what I am reading from you folks, I will be right in style. A bit eccentric, but WTF, I am retired and have earned the right. The only leather shoes I own are combat boots....30 years in boots and you really do not need civilian shoes. Maybe this summer we should have some pic posts of us in our fancy outfits. I bet we would be stunning.

That's the spirit!:eusa_clap

frussell

One Too Many
I'm with Tonyb. I wear whatever hat with whatever I damn well please. I've found that most of the people who are the sharpest critics of others are not as vocal with their criticism in the real world, but feel like they are ten feet tall when they are online and there's no possibility of someone smacking their little round computer-chair-imprinted bottoms. Be comfortable. If I could wear a three-piece with my fedoras every day where I live and work, I'd do it. Unfortunately, this would mean death by heatstroke, so many months of the year I'm stuck with shorts and some kind of casual shoes. I cry myself to sleep sometimes imagining what fashion bloggers must think of me, but other than that, I'm okay. Frank

new2hats

A-List Customer
Thanks for your responses. Will keep doing what I've been doing, with wearing both hat and birks. Didn't want to be 'that guy' who embarasses the hat wearer, as it is a rare thing these days!

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
If you are really worried about it, take a look at Tilley hats. They have a modern, outdoor adventure look that goes well with open toed Birkenstock sandals. I have been known to wear Birks with my Tilley TH4 hemp in the summer months.

MaricopaKid

New in Town
My wife would complain about the female attention I received from my summer attire.

I'm an old dude with a shaved head and a handlebar mustache. Biltmore straw fedora, cargo shorts, aloha shirt, and Bork sandals for me in the summer. Got rid of the wife; no more complaints!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points