Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

The Shoe

One Too Many
Sunday night under a Tatton Baird with some Balvenie 15 Single Barrel Sherry Cask Finish. Part of the 2013-2014 Rare Craft Series bottling which is pretty much sold out now & hard to find.

View attachment 454025

View attachment 454024
We just ordered a bottle of the 12 Doublewood.
I would’ve liked to go for the 15, but it’s close to $400 over here. Even the 12 is more than we usually pay, but it sounded appealing in the reviews we read.

We just ordered a bottle of the 12 Doublewood.
Nothing wrong with that! It scored very high as a newbie just a few yrs ago. I haven’t bought much of it lately due to price increases but you can’t go wrong with 12 DoubleWood.

BDCFDDE5-AD92-4D4D-B101-83B38BA64A71.jpeg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Sunday night under a Tatton Baird with some Balvenie 15 Single Barrel Sherry Cask Finish. Part of the 2013-2014 Rare Craft Series bottling which is pretty much sold out now & hard to find.

View attachment 454025

View attachment 454024

Jack; Superb Whiskey this evening. I have asked Ace Liquors to RSVP me if they source a rare cask bottling. I will take it. It is on my short list of, "if you can get a bottle" list.

Tonight no whiskey, but started with a Surley Supreme and then sampled the first of a four pack of beer - the Founders KBS Maple Mackinaw Fudge.

i-3KC9HvD-M.jpg

I picked the four pack of Founders up to sample this, to my experience a unique beer, KBS stout. I like Founders KBS Stout (barrel aged imperial stout). It is a big 12% ABV bourbon barrel aged stout with all the fixings. Coffee, chocolate, vanilla, cocoa and of course oak are the flavorings of the KBS.

BTW: I opened the bottle while grilling a couple of buffalo burgers with raw onion, homemade pickles and some horseradish and mayo suase. Paired better than I imagined. I can eat this again!

The KBS Maple Mackinaw Fudge may be my fav variant of KBS and might challenge the original, IMO. First out it is not sweet. Thank goodness. Coffee, chocolate and maple are what I taste in order. Full and creamy with lots of mouth feel. A sipper beer for me. Oddly the beer is thinner than the thick head that is the result of the pour. Desert beer - I would have to say a reluctant yes. Sweeter than the KBS, but not cloyingly or sickly sweet. Summary - It is a stellar variant of KBS.

i-QGb4VKN-M.jpg

I will work on picking up another 4 pack to keep on hand for the cool winter season that is forecasted.

Cheers to all, Eric -

Caol Ila. I must say, I was impressed. Wikipedia informs me that 90% of all their whisky goes into blends, including Jonnie Walker black label. It packed a real punch, especially on the nose, but also on the palate.

Signatory offers some independent bottlings from time to time from casks they buy from Caol Ila.
All that’s left of a 16 yr old bottling of Caol Ila by Signatory Vintage in 2007 is this tin full of fond memories. I’ve also had a 12 yr old bottling that was pretty astringent. In ~2002 Signatory bought the Edradour distillery in the eastern Highlands. The smallest distillery in operation today, most of Edradour‘s volume is bought up for blends just like Caol Ila is. The bottling plant is used for Signatory’s independent bottlings.

1606825E-F94F-48AD-9930-B15BD0C4B2EF.jpeg

E675B6D1-2D99-4D96-B0A1-63E6BCADDC39.jpeg

And a Stetson One-hundred.

The Shoe

One Too Many
We managed to sneak another couple of bottles in before the price rises. I hadn’t tried either before.
The Wee Beastie will remain unopened for some time…
9E3F3265-8F42-4A41-B140-4C30566E2AB4.jpeg

…but we decided to try the Elijah Craig.
A1069E90-8F56-40A6-8F76-0B0349279406.jpeg

Very enjoyable, it was.
My hat? Drinking in the living room at home, I don’t usually wear one. Please forgive me for (once again) posting without one.

HH starts with a few Imports on Taco Tuesday, under my Knox American Royal Arminto clone.

View attachment 455478

View attachment 455477

View attachment 455476

View attachment 455474

View attachment 455475

Then home for some Colkegan Single Malt Mesquite Smoked Single Malt with some Peter Stokkebye’s Old Whiskey pipe tobacco. A great combo!

View attachment 455482

View attachment 455481

View attachment 455479
Knocked back a couple of those Modelos at h.h. myself earlier. Always a good choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobby pin