Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and hair color

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
I have been reading through the threads in the hat forum and have a question that I hope someone can help me with. Do some hat colors work better with specific hair colors. For instance, do brown hats look better with brown or black hair than they do grey or white hair? Does grey or white hair look better with a grey hat? How about the guys with red hair, what color of hat works best for them? I'm just curious if there are any guidelines that are generally followed. Thanks!!

fatwoul

Practically Family
I stick to brown hats for the same reason most of my wardrobe is various browns - I have brown eyes. My hair is brown, but there isn't much left of it, even when it isn't cut down to 1mm.

Unless you have longer hair, I personally don't think hair colour makes as much difference as eye colour, since when you're wearing a hat, your hair is mostly covered anyway.

Russ

One of the Regulars
If you are planning for the long run, you'd best buy hats that go well with gray hair. :)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
The only real way to know what looks good on you is to stick it on your head and look in a mirror. Check it out from every angle, and from near and far. If it looks good to you, wear it boldly; knowing that the lady in your life will probably say, "That hat doesn't really make you look very good." (Tip: When she says that, you are probably not wearing a brown fedora with the brim turned down in front and back!)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hair colour may have a influence. But your wardrobe has a bit more of an influence. If your closet is full of blacks, blues, and whites, you may be better to look at gray, blue, and black hats. But if your closet looks like a beautiful fall day. Brown, beige, and reds, a brown, fawn, hat will suit you better.
Johnny
Remember Mulch is a colour and a positive fashion statement.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the tips and I really do appreciate the help. I think maybe the solution is to have multiple colors for whatever need may arise!

John the Swede

Familiar Face
We have a lot of threads on hat color and suits, jackets, belts, etc. Aside from these sartorial matchings, can anyone offer their personal experience and/or advice with hat color and the body? What colors go best with gray hair? What colors go well with olive skin? How about paler tones? And what about beards? If someone has a red beard, what looks good? What about salt and pepper--hair OR beards? What have you heard; what have you learned; what philosophy do you live by regarding colors of the body and hats?

Last edited:
We have a lot of threads on hat color and suits, jackets, belts, etc. Aside from these sartorial matchings, can anyone offer their personal experience and/or advice with hat color and the body? What colors go best with gray hair? What colors go well with olive skin? How about paler tones? And what about beards? If someone has a red beard, what looks good? What about salt and pepper--hair OR beards? What have you heard; what have you learned; what philosophy do you live by regarding colors of the body and hats?

I’ve found the best option is to own every felt and ribbon combination.

Actually, my goal is to reduce my hat collection to the 30-50 range and then only buy a new one if I’m willing to sell one of the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I have enough trouble trying to color match my hat with whatever I'm wearing. If I started taking my pale complexion, dark hair, and salt-and-pepper beard into consideration as well I'd never get any sleep.

Plus, hey, if there are no mirrors around, we don't have to look at ourselves. Whether I "match" then becomes the observers problem, right? [emoji1]

As I've said before, just make certain your hat coordinates with your socks and underwear, and you'll be OK!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Interestingly, the "Hat Life" manual of 1944 said this about hair color, completion, and clothes regarding the matching of hat colors.......
But, like everyone has said, wear what YOU feel comfortable in.
M;)
20180725_123605.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112