Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats for Long Haired Ladies?

Mme Dariaux

New in Town
What kinds of hats are best suited to long-haired women? I have rather thick hair to the waist, but the hat styles I most adore seem to be designed for shorter hair. I am loath to cut my hair just to be able to indulge in slouch hats and cloches, but am tired of only wearing minimal millinery on the top of the head when hair is tied in a low chignon. Dear ladies, please share your best hat advice and point me to pictures of Golden era ladies with long hair and elegant hat!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
My hair was mid back and I cut my hair specifically to accommodate my slouch hats and cloches. I have seen pictures of women with longer than average hair that was finger waved and the excess hair was pinned up at the nape. 1940s tilt hats that sit perched atop the head would be your best bet in addition to the pinning at the nape technique.

Mme Dariaux

New in Town
It was a brave choice between long hair and chic hats! They are extremely tempting, although I'll focus on the tilt hats for now. I suppose I should also learn to pin my hair evenly and as flat as possible, nowadays I usually twist my hair into a chignon which prohibits close-fitting hats. Thanks for your insight!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Not as brave as you think, lol. Long hair does nothing for me. I look much better and feel much more confident in myself with short chin to shoulder length hair. That it goes well with the vintage hats is a bonus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points