Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in the news...a lot.

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Aaron!

Really informative articles, particularly the ones on Stratton and Bollman. I'm not as big a wool-hat fan as I am of fur felts, but I lived in Lancaster County myself and never new a major hat factory was a short drive away.

A houndstooth fedora? :eek:
This has to be the best quote of all:
"Men quit wearing hats in the 1960s and that’s when men’s fashion began going to hell. After they gave up hats, men gave up on suits. Some didn’t even own a suit, and if they did, it was worn only at weddings or funerals. Then, they quit wearing neckties, and I was aghast when dress-down Fridays made men look like they just got out from changing the oil under their cars.":eusa_clap

Regards,

J

The Wingnut

One Too Many
The Monitor article unwittingly points out why the fashionistas still can't get it right: According to them, it's all about making a statement...but at the same time being hip and trendy.

...to those of us truly in the know, it's less about making a statement or following the latest fashion-whore look and more about keeping the sun off of our face in hot weather, our head warm in cold weather, and wearing the hat instead of looking as if the hat is wearing us.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
The Wingnut said:
...to those of us truly in the know, it's less about making a statement or following the latest fashion-whore look and more about keeping the sun off of our face in hot weather, our head warm in cold weather, and wearing the hat instead of looking as if the hat is wearing us.

There are all kinds of reasons people wear hats including:

-it's hot fashion
-it's classic style
-medical reasons
-part of a uniform
-sun protection
-warmth
-team loyalty

The important thing is they're wearing a hat...and that's good.

Here's another story from New Zealand and wearing a hat for sun protection. The US isn't far behind NZ and Australia when it comes to skin cancer.

Aaron

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From the Quad Cities story : "A boy became a man when he gave up his cap and began wearing a felt hat."

There is some cultural significance of a fedora if I ever saw it!

dean

deanglen said:
From the Quad Cities story : "A boy became a man when he gave up his cap and began wearing a felt hat."

dean

Unfortunately, now we have boys (trendy men) wearing a man's hat. ;) They have no idea how to wear a hat because they didn't develop the habit over time nor do they have anyone around to give them advise---thus The Fedora Lounge. :D

Regards,

J

DocBob345

Familiar Face
Boys in hats

I believe that some of these "celebrities" are living proof that donning a hat doesn't make a man a gentleman. For them I think it looks like just another costume.

Best,
Robert

BigSho

Vendor
jamespowers said:
Unfortunately, now we have boys (trendy men) wearing a man's hat. ;) They have no idea how to wear a hat because they didn't develop the habit over time nor do they have anyone around to give them advise---thus The Fedora Lounge. :D

Regards,

J

Who is to say the way they wear a hat is right or worng. I have always been a firm believer in the ideology of; "Take the hat and make it your own!" As logn as people are wearing hats and making the effort to look good I give them kudos whether they are classic vintage or hip-hop in a purple suit.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
I believe that people should be able to make whatever they want to out of wearing a hat as well. Out of curiosity, I wonder which is worse, being associated with gangsters, or hip-hop artists. IMHO, I would rather it be the latter in many respects. Like the music or not, hip-hop does have a rich history with many talented and creative individuals. If my lid reminds someone of that, I wouldn't be terribly upset. And this is coming from a white Italian guy :) .

I keep an RSS feed from Google news on my homepage that scrapes any stories with the word "fedoras" in it. I read the story about Steve Stratton and the first piece from The Monitor, but was unaware of the other stories. Thanks Aaron!

Slicksuit said:
I believe that people should be able to make whatever they want to out of wearing a hat as well. Out of curiosity, I wonder which is worse, being associated with gangsters, or hip-hop artists. IMHO, I would rather it be the latter in many respects. Like the music or not, hip-hop does have a rich history with many talented and creative individuals. If my lid reminds someone of that, I wouldn't be terribly upset. And this is coming from a white Italian guy :)

Uh, let's see. Would I rather be a guy who tries to blend in and look like a well dressed legitimate businessman or a thug who definitely doesn't blend in, has pants that don't fit, shirts that are too long, shoes that are sometimes missing the laces entirely and doesn't know how to wear a hat straight on their heads. Hmmmm.....
Capone was creative enough for me with a vice grips and a blowtourch. :p

Regards,

J

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Noticed in the hospital waiting room

I saw the October 28, 2013, copy of The New Yorker today while sitting in the waiting room of the hospital.

The cover caught my attention, to say the least. Just wish I could have found some information on the artwork .
New Yorker.jpg

Greyryder

One of the Regulars

dean

Okay, I know this is from eight years ago, but since the thread has been bumped.... I have recently given up the cap for felt. But, the legion of tiny plastic men is staying.

CRH

Call Me a Cab

dean

It's like a reward for understanding how to deal with the burr on a soon to be an edge or a soon to be a song blues turn around.................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112