Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever broken dress code at work?

Tin Pan Sally

I got in trouble for dress code violation at work yesterday. I was wearing a fairly long black lace skirt with panel under, black lace cami top with black lace bra under, celtic black sandals that had a vintage look. My boss came up to my desk to tell me the outfit was too risque and I needed to cover up. Luckily I had my cashmere sweater with rhinestone buttons handy. I feel like such a wild one now ;)
I was a little insulted as I've never had a man tell me to put my clothes back on before.

Dress code amongst scientists is button down oxford shirt and blue jeans. So i break dress code every day ... Not that there is a dress code ... And neither should there be.

What, if you don't mind me asking, environment do you work in? Just trying to get a handle on why the way you're dressed could be "wrong" according to a dress code ...

bk

Tin Pan Sally

mysterygal said:
that would be embarrassing...the outfit doesn't sound bad unless the cami was a little too much on the sheer side
No, it was well lined. There is a some policy against bare shoulders. Just as well, I was giving off a glare with my blindingly pale moon tan.

KAT

A-List Customer
whats your job?
i dont think its too much at all!
you should see the german woman working in a bank ;)
it never happend to me before..when i started with my job they just told me i cant wear heels, that was fine because of security reasons, i was young and still in school and didnt know. I work as a pre school// kindergarten teacher and of course in case of an accident i cant run fast enough to help! I understand that reason
but why for you? thats why i asked what your job is?
KAT

KAT

A-List Customer
I was a little insulted as I've never had a man tell me to put my clothes back on before.
lol

then i dont understand his reaction!

maybe he was irritated because he liked it and just wanted to go back to work?[huh]

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
well, if he liked it he would have had her wear her outfit for the rest of the day..dress code is dress code...for the most part, it seems most employers are pretty slack about what's ok and what's not...this guy has a line and is sticking to it

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
KAT said:
Maybe he was irritated because he liked it and just wanted to go back to work?[huh]
Naah, that's not it. It was done so that no one at the office could accuse him of sexual harassment if he happened to glance your way.

Companies are so fearful of lawsuits, they've gone to the other extreme with this sexual harassment-at-work issue. Hope we find a "happy medium" one day.

Tin Pan Sally

Yeah yeah, that's it, I was a distraction...
Our dress code is business casual, which means no jeans, no sneakers, no flip flops, no potentially offensive logos, no exposed underarms, abs, chest, buttocks, and only a reasonable amount of cleavage. Skirts can't be more than 3" above the knee. Undergarments must be worn but not visible.

I wonder if they needed dress codes back in the golden era before the scanty pop divas?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm suit and tie everyday, except business casual on Fridays. Though, for me, vintage casual is jacket and tie!

I am always overdressed.

I also work for a bank, not in a branch, but in a commercial lending office. :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Nope, I haven't! I work in an office environment and our dress code is pretty much business/business casual. No jeans, t-shirts, must wear stockings, etc. Usually I wear slacks and a sweater twinset or blouse, or a dress or skirt/blouse combo. I strive to be a model employee. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112