Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have You Ever Met A Movie/TV Star or Celebrity?

DNO

One Too Many
John Candy. I taught at his old high school and he used to visit quite often. (Actually, I went to the same high school, as well. I was in the same year as Candy but in a different 'stream' so we never really knew each other). An absolutely delightful person.

djd

Practically Family
Brian May - Queen guitarist - a couple of times. Lovely bloke.

Tom Baker - former Dr Who. Highlight of my childhood meeting him in 1978!

Stephen Fry- charming, as you'd expect

Lots of other folks at conventions and such. Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion were as cool and funny as you'd expect

Last edited:

Kurt Bergeron

New in Town
Yeah,...a lot actually. But I work in film and video and I've been going to fan/film conventions for years and years and years. So there's been a lot and I collect autographs,...which if you go to conventions is becoming more and more expensive to do :( Amongst my favorites is probably Christopher Lloyd who I met in November and I just finished working on a film where I got to spend time with Henry Winkler. Paid to hang with the Fonz? I'll take it. He's amazing.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Several connected with Dark Shadows the original series.
Pamela Barnes from 3's Company, she's still a looker if you ask me (I know, nobody did).
Don Knotts, Jim Nabors, and a few from TAGS/Gomer Pyle USMC.
Every one was a delight to meet, but nobody was more at home with everyone than George "Goober" Lindsey.
We mentioned we'd seen him in a MASH episode, and also in a Western, and he looked at his wife and said "see there, these people know I've been acting all these years, they've seen me!" LOL Nice guy....

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
John Candy. I taught at his old high school and he used to visit quite often. (Actually, I went to the same high school, as well. I was in the same year as Candy but in a different 'stream' so we never really knew each other). An absolutely delightful person.

Being from Toronto, I have met John Candy too as well as all of the other comedians he was associated with, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, Marty Short, Catherine O'Hara and Dave Thomas. Aside from Levy, they all used to go to mass at St. Basil's on the University of Toronto campus and they were all the nicest people you ever met. My guess is the SCTV studio was close to there and they hung out together after.

Take a visit to Candy's high school. It is like a shrine to him, haha.

I have also met Dan Akroyd, another local Canadian, and he is as funny in person as you would expect and really nice.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I had the pleasure of spending time with Andrew "Manuel" Sachs from Fawlty Towers in his dressing room after he'd performed (as Manuel, naturally) in a Christmas pantomime at Hamilton Place, Hamilton, Ontario, in about 1986 or 87. My father was cheeky, he simply phoned the theatre and asked to speak to the stage manager and asked if she'd see if Mr. Sachs would be willing to meet. He said he'd be delighted. I know we were! He autographed a Fawlty Towers record album, and we took a few pics. Will try to post for other fans of FT....

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Tenuous, I knw but....
Terry Jones from the Pythons used to live not far from my old job and used to buy his shoes from me, as did lots of small screen British actors and their kids. Terry's a really lovely man.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I live in SoCal. You kind of have to go out of your way not to in this part of the world. But to be specific, Crystal Gale was in my sporting clays squad one day. Boy, you don't want to be a bird in the same field with that woman! She can shoot . . .

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Separately I have met Mick Jones and Paul Simonon of The Clash, the latter is very much a fedora guy. Have also met Billy Bragg and a few other musicians y'all may or may not have heard of.

Michael J. Fox came into my family's flower shop one night, but I had already left for the day. My dad said he was quite nice.

My wife works in films, and I in the music industry. Funny thing about meeting celeb's. Most are really cool, but all it takes is one childhood hero (Sting comes to mind, as in The Police) and when they turn out to be a *****-bag, you never like them again. I've met so many that I don't recall them all, but I have lots of pix and great memories with most of those encounters. A big shot that doesn't act like one is a charm!

DNO

One Too Many
Being from Toronto, I have met John Candy too as well as all of the other comedians he was associated with, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, Marty Short, Catherine O'Hara and Dave Thomas. Aside from Levy, they all used to go to mass at St. Basil's on the University of Toronto campus and they were all the nicest people you ever met. My guess is the SCTV studio was close to there and they hung out together after.

Take a visit to Candy's high school. It is like a shrine to him, haha.

I have also met Dan Akroyd, another local Canadian, and he is as funny in person as you would expect and really nice.

I've met Rick Moranis, Catherine O'Hara and Joe Flaherty as well. You're right...nice people.

You're right about Neil McNeil. Candy always had fond memories of the place and would visit once a year, or so. He'd wander around the school, dropping in on classes, visiting former teachers. The last time he was there he was involved with the Toronto Argos and wanted to finance a resurrected football team for Neil. (He had played football in his high school years.) Unfortunately, he passed away shortly afterward. A very nice man...the students loved him.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Into the waaayy back machine... Tom Smothers

Back when I was in college, I had a part-time job in a great tobacco shop in the Georgetown section of Washington, DC. One evening I was working alone, and Tom Smothers walks in (If you are nearing 60, you will no doubt remember that Tom and his brother Dick were a huge hit on CBS with "The Smothers Brothers Show" in the late 1960's).

So I'm standing there smirking, not wanting to blow my cool by saying "O.M.G.! You're Tom Smothers!!!!", and he starts smirking at my smirking, and we complete the transaction (some Don Diego cigars, as I recall), both of us smirking our asses off!

That was a great memory, thanks for prompting it.

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I met James Drury a couple or so years ago, and visited with him for a few minutes. I always liked him as the Virginian, as he looked a lot like and sometimes reminded me of my dad, back in the day when it was a primetime TV show.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Funny thing about meeting celeb's. Most are really cool, but all it takes is one childhood hero (Sting comes to mind, as in The Police) and when they turn out to be a *****-bag, you never like them again.

I don't know about that, I met the late Evel Knievel back in the mid 60s, when he was still jumping Triumphs, first class jerk, in love with him self, but I still like him!

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I met Elijah Wood at a ComicCon after-party. A friend of mine was rather inebriated and kept talking to him in inappropriate ways. He was extremely patient. After, I thanked him for his kindness, I apologized for her behaviour, we chatted briefly and I told him that while all she said was accurate (about her plans for that night), she doesn't know if he's into that sort of thing.

He smiled big and grabbed me and gave me a huge hug. As if to say thanks, really, for not assuming who he might be.

Elijah Wood is a total sweetheart.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well,
since I live in "theatrical center" of my LITTLE country.. it's no wonder I've been able to meet great number of celebrities.
But, here.. it's not a big deal.
At least not for me: I see them on the street.. AND?! Nothing. I saw them, they've seen me... lol ..and that's it.

(that's because I'm not keen on "idols")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana