Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have You Ever Met A Movie/TV Star or Celebrity?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Does this count?
In 1983, when I was only 15, I literally bumped into Fred Astaire on a stairway at the Beverly Hills Hotel. I was walking up, he was walking down (and quickly too). No elevators for Fred, thank you, even though he was in his 80s at the time!

Wow...it would have been amazing to meet Astaire!

As a journalist, I have had the good fortune to meet many famous people. Almost all of them were very nice to me (even if I wasn't "on duty").

Some of the nicest were: Tony Bennett, Chris Isaak (as cool in person as he is in public), Lewis Black, Howie Mandel, George Hamilton, Frank Sinatra Jr, Ray Romano, Harry Connick, Jr; and surprisingly - Elvis Costello.

One who wasn't - Spike Lee (though he did sign a copy of Malcolm X for me)

I met the Dalia Lama too but he's - as Duke Ellington would say - beyond category. He was the only person I met where you could feel the goodness radiating from him.

The funny this is some of the B or D list stars I have met have been the biggest jerks or too important (in their own minds) to spare any time.

Warden

One Too Many
Does this count?

I met a celeb, none other than Hildebrande "Tuppy" Glossop. You know from Jeeves & Wooster TV series and all that. Well OK it was Robert Daws the chap who played Tuppy in the TV series.

jw0249.jpg

It was in a motorway service station close to Doncaster and yes he was buying food (you see, he is still in Tuppy character). His daughter played with young Maisie, my daughter in the children’s play area. We engaged in chit chat, but I was too shy to ask about those Jeeves and Wooster days.

This is quite a moment for me, I never usually spot celebs. After all I am the chap who while Christmas shopping in Harrods 20 years ago asked Princess Anne about which pair of gloves I should buy my mother.

Well you don't expect to see Royalty shopping do you?

Pip pip

Warden

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Brian Sheridan said:
I met the Dalia Lama too but he's - as Duke Ellington would say - beyond category. He was the only person I met where you could feel the goodness radiating from him.

I had a chance to see the Dahli Lama speak, but didn't go. I still regret it to this day.

This may sound silly, but when I meet Mr. Rogers it was the same way. Such a quiet, unassuming man but you could feel the goodness coming from him.

Hondo

One Too Many
I'll update this in a week or so as I look forward to meeting Mr. Henry Silva, I've met my share of celebrities, from Kevin McCarthy, Traci Lords, Richard Kiel, Sybil Danning and a few others, all were really personal, very nice, Mr. Silva is a living legendary bad guy, The Manchurian Candidate, Ghost Dog are just a few of his films, at 84 its a credit to him to last this long, the guy really scared me on the screen as a kid lol I stay away from A lists, as I favor the B list actors, they are all really fun :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Warden said:
This is quite a moment for me, I never usually spot celebs. After all I am the chap who while Christmas shopping in Harrods 20 years ago asked Princess Anne about which pair of gloves I should buy my mother.

Well you don't expect to see Royalty shopping do you?

Warden

Ah, but here's the question......
Did she give you good advice?
And did you take it? :)

Rafter

Suspended
I recently had the good fortune of sharing an elevator with Barbara Eden.
This dame never ages. She's still quite the cutie, even at 72!

Rafter

Suspended
Marc Chevalier said:
Did you uncork her genie bottle?

Hey Marc,

The Rafter's got too much style and class to do that!!
Anyway, a lady like that deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.

If only she were 40 years younger
...that would be a whole other ballgame.

Rafter

Suspended
Marc Chevalier said:
Hey! I was just talking about bottles! Oh, wait: you thought that I ... lol

I wouldn't mind uncorking the bottle,
.......and getting the "three" wishes!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I delivered a bookcase to Johnny Bench, once.

Delivered flooring to Louis Anderson.

Met Jay Leno twice, both times at car shows. He and my brother helped another guy get his car started.

Dom DeLouise at a cooking demonstration. Bought one of his autographed cookbooks. A very nice man.

Lee

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
My dad was a musician and frequently played with a blind piano player, his daughter & I are the same age and got into a lot of mischief together at gigs. A few years later I saw her on TV in some new show called "The Facts Of Life" .. it was Molly Ringwald. I bumped into her at the Sacto Jazz fest a few years after that. Completely stunned that she remembered me!

I grew up in the mountains of California, Sequioa-Kings Canyon area .. seems a lot of folks from Southern Cal would hideaway up there:

I came home from school one afternoon and David Soul was sitting in the front yard playing guitar with my dad ..

My first summer job was cleaning William Shatner's cabin in our tiny town, I took his daughters to our local swimming hole quite often. Of course I had to do some snooping and was tickled to find that Captn. Kirk had a lifetime supply of dehydrated "emergency" food in a few of the kitchen cabinets ..

Met James Garner while horseback riding up the road, he pulled up in a completely beat up Chevy Truck and asked directions :)

My uncle tended Angelica Huston's horses and ranch.

And finally, I met Baretta (Robert Blake) with his kids at the river once. Not long after that he was on Court TV .. heh ..

I bought a Gin & T for the Rev. Horton Heat in Hollywood, Florida :eusa_clap

Oh and I forgot, I have a photo of my dad and Satchmo playing together ..

Hondo

One Too Many
Hondo said:
I'll update this in a week or so as I look forward to meeting Mr. Henry Silva, I've met my share of celebrities, from Kevin McCarthy, Traci Lords, Richard Kiel, Sybil Danning and a few others, all were really personal, very nice, Mr. Silva is a living legendary bad guy, The Manchurian Candidate, Ghost Dog are just a few of his films, at 84 its a credit to him to last this long, the guy really scared me on the screen as a kid lol I stay away from A lists, as I favor the B list actors, they are all really fun :)

I had the pleasure of meeting Henry Silva over the weekend in Burbank, CA while not one of my best photos compared with Henry Silva so bear with me, for guy who is 84 he looked trim, fit and about as tall as I at 6 ft 2" looked a heck of a lot younger, had many female admirers, #1 bad guy in films, but a great and funny guy in person :)

henrysilva01.jpg

Picture001.jpg

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Charlie Brill is one of the funniest people I’ve ever met. Phyllis Diller is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met, celebrity or otherwise. Likewise author Anne Lamott. Dodie Goodman was one of the nastiest people I ever met, celebrity or otherwise.

I met Walt Disney on Main Street USA; he gave me the honor of shaking my hand. (I keep a sign at my desk that says “WWWD?“ to help me through creative challenges.) Further down Main Street but at a different time, I met Roy Williams of the Mickey Mouse Club; he drew a picture of Pluto for me, (not the planet, although he was a star at the time.) Much later in time, I ran into Leonard Maltin outside Disneyland Town Hall and chatted with him briefly. He’s a very charming fellow.

Jimmy Dean was one of the first celebrities I ever met. I was very young at the time. I remember walking up to him and standing about eye-level with his cowboy boots. I scanned upward to see his face waaaaay up in the sky. I thought he must be the tallest man in the world.

I met Timothy Leary, who gave me some very useful advice which I think about often and follow as best as I can. (I didn’t find him to be the drug-dealing caricature the media have rendered.) I enjoyed a lengthy chat with Chet Helms about philosophy and religion, as well as his friendship with Janis Joplin.

I stopped at Stuft Pizza in Del Mar Highlands on the way home from work one evening. While I was waiting, Ken Caminiti came in to order a pizza. I might not have recognized him were it not for the fact that my daughter is a baseball fan. We exchanged pleasantries and I might have asked him for an autograph for my daughter. Unfortunately, one of the servers (literally) knelt and bowed to him and kissed his rings. Ken looked embarrassed, we shrugged, I picked up my food and left. That evening I found out the Padres had lost badly that afternoon. No wonder he was embarrassed.

Finally, my Star Trek sightings. I met James Doohan at a sci-fi convention. I asked him about his accent; he asked, ”Which one?” George Takei walked into an art exhibit at the same convention, surrounded by adoring fans. I could swear the room lit up as he entered. Years later I passed by Walter Koenig at Universal City Walk. He was with someone else and I hate to intrude, so I simply smiled and waved, and he kindly returned my greeting. Sometimes, a little eye contact is all you need to meet the nicest people.

lindylady

A-List Customer
I met celebrity chef Giada de Laurentis at the National Book Festival a few years ago. I asked her a question about how to set up a kitchen if you're just starting out. She was very friendly and engaging.

I also saw the author Tom Wolfe at the same event, but I didn't get a chance to talk to him personally.

Elaina

One Too Many
The ones I cared enough to drop names.

I had a fan boy meltdown in 1999 right after they released Ian McKellen as Gandalf to the fan boys of the world. I don't recall how I met the man, just that I was as big as a house (I was REALLY pregnant) and flipped. He and his partner were VERY nice about it, and that's what changed my mind on him being Gandalf (I was sort of upset, but then you know, if you're a fan boy he is like the Holy Grail of LotR fandom.)

The Pope John Paul blessed my son when he was a few months old. I went to Mass, and it was standing room only, and was trying to juggle a baby, my purse (I had just driven about 10 hours to be here) and a bottle. He came in, paused, dipped his hand in holy water rubbed my son's head and patted me on the shoulder and told me he was happy to see us. I always thought that was cool he could pause and be that welcoming and be the POPE.

Star Trek...has anyone one NOT met some cast member? My grandma lived in a cul-de-sac with a family that had an actor years later whom I still remember as one of the nicest people I've ever met. The other cul-de-sac where their best friends had Deforest Kelley living there, and I spent the summer bouncing back from my best friend's house (who was and still is an actor) to his because it was Bones. There was nothing cooler. (The first motion picture was just released the year before this and I was a fan). I also got to meet the entire cast when they released the second movie, where I charmed William Shatner into letting me meet everyone and have a poster autographed by everyone (I think I hurt Shatner's feelings because when I saw Deforest Kelley, it was all over. I just spent a lot of time with the man not too far back, and was still sending letters to him and his wife). Years later I met Nichelle Nichols at space camp , and Nimoy at a comic book convention with Stan Lee (and no, neither one of them like kids.) I've met a bunch because I used to go to conventions, just rarely say anything outside of ToS. I did meet Shatner when I was a waitress, and he's got to be one of the funniest people.

I also met Marlon Brando at a wax museum when Superman was the main attraction there. Christopher Reeves was also making an appearance, and my sister was really keen on meeting Brando, and I didn't care. We got up there and he asked me something stupid, and then "Well, you'll remember meeting me, young lady. I am a great actor." I replied (I was 5) "Oh. I'm only here to see Superman!" Then turned and asked my sister if we could go...Supes was waiting. Apparently you're not supposed to want to go see Superman. [huh]

J.B.

Practically Family
lindylady said:
I met celebrity chef Giada de Laurentis at the National Book Festival a few years ago. I asked her a question about how to set up a kitchen if you're just starting out. She was very friendly and engaging...

(I always wanted to sample the E.I. farfalle-bowtie pasta and Italian sausage dish!)

giada2un4.jpg

Yup. Giada's quite the cook, but even if I was a guest in Little Big Head's own kitchen -- there is NO WAY I'm eatin' zukkinni!!! Nupe.
emogrinnoge5.gif

She seems to be a "genuine" nice person?!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Joan Collins, several times
Bill Bryson, author
Sean Connery
Billy Connelly
George Lucas
Liam Neeson
Ewan McGregor
Michael Chiklis
Ben Browder
Omar Sharif