Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having some trouble with my Indy Magnoli suit

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Any advice?

Picture84.jpg

Picture85.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Firstly, congrats!

Secondly, a skilled tailor should be able to take your slacks in from the rear seam, but also at the front pleats as well so as not to interrupt the lines of your trousers.

Tony in Tarzana

Thing is, I really like that suit, it's still in great shape after nearly six years. The trousers would need to be taken in by about 11 inches and I suppose it's possible, but where would the back pockets end up? Would it be a fashion faux pas to eliminate the back pockets entirely? I never use 'em.

Edward

Bartender
A competent alternations person should be able to tell you how much can be taken in without distorting the trouser pattern. I suspect 11 inches would be pushing it, but if six or seven inches were possible, I've worn trousers four inches over my waist size before now with no problem - providing they were designed to be worn with braces, not a belt.

Nonetheless, I wish I had your "problem"! Saw this in facebook - well done, it's an inspiration. I need to lose a fair bit of weight myself....

filfoster

One Too Many
More than three or four inches and you pretty much have to recut the trousers. I know because I wear a 42L jacket-suits come with 37" trousers- and have a 33" waist and the tailor at BB just shrugs-he won't recut them and so I have 'pinched' waistbands beneath my belt.

Anyway, congrats on losing the inches. Get a new suit.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I agree. That is too much to take in. Even if you did the front, it would make them too baggy. The pants could be completely rebuilt, but that would be the price of a new pair almost. Isn't the jacket too big now too?

If the jacket still fits okay, maybe Magnoli could match the fabric and do a new pair of pants.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Thing is, I really like that suit, it's still in great shape after nearly six years. The trousers would need to be taken in by about 11 inches and I suppose it's possible, but where would the back pockets end up? Would it be a fashion faux pas to eliminate the back pockets entirely? I never use 'em.

Firstly as someone who has made the same decision = Congrats! Six good years out of suit is amazing and I dips me lid to Magnoli. But time for a new treat!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I can only join in with the others - eleven inches won't work. In my experience four inches are the absolut maximum. In my early days I once bought a pair of pants in a thrift shop that had to be taken in almost six inches. The tailor did the job but the pack pockets were almost touching each other while the side pockets had moved back so far that they had almost become a second set of back pockets. Made for a funny look when I put both hands in them.

All that said: congrats! :eusa_clap

Tony in Tarzana

Oh, yeah, the jacket. I could have some more buttons sewn on and turn it into a DB. lol Thanks folks for the compliments and the advice. I feel like a new man, so a new suit is definitely in order. It's just that that ol' suit and I have had some good times together, it'll be sad to retire it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider