Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HBO's Carnivale

LetterJ

New in Town
The DVD commentary is proving very interesting, including mention of apparently inconsequential things that are really containing more authentic detail than they need. For instance, when Brother Justin messes with his hair, they had him actually open a 70 year old bottle of Vitalis just to have him put it in his hair. No attention drawn to it, just a detail that you'd miss unless they pointed it out.

However, it adds to the overall feel.

STHill

One of the Regulars
My wife and I are big fans of Carnivale. We were a little disappointed that it never seemed to go anywhere in the first season. But most of the enjoyment is in the ride, anyway. HBO series tend to meander, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just not what most of us are used to with tv shows.

Carnivale does a great job invoking the period, or at least my perception of the period. The main, character (I don't know the actor's name), the young guy, looks like he was pulled straight out of the 30's. Highly recommended!

Corey

New in Town
I've seen a few episodes ...

I watched a few episodes at a friend's place. While I don't claim to be an expert on the clothing of the depicted period, all of it looked pretty good to me. Plus I seem to remember that it's shot in a bit of a sepia tone to make it look more "vintage." The story line was definitely intriguing (I shall say no more ... no spoilers here)!

Vanessa

One Too Many
I'm still hoping (futilely I think) that they will bring it back for another season. From what I recall, watching the documentaries on the dvd's, everything was done very accurately, paying close attention to detail in costuming, design, etc., which contributed to their huge budget.

shamus

Suspended
I saw many episodes. I went mostly for the story. No real suits, as it was set during the depression in california and everyone was poor or dirt poor.

It will not be back, as HBO thought they'd finished the story and had no more. So what you see is all there is.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I wasn't too crazy about the show's writing, but if you are into 1930's workwear, and I am in spades, then you will dig the look of it.

swinggal

One Too Many
I loved it. A well known dancer and vintage buff I know from LA (Lisa Fergusson) was one of the camera people on it. There is second series coming here soon, I have heard that it is already on in the US. Set in 1934 by the way.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
one little nit to pick

The show looks very authentic. The hair styles and body types even look right, which is rare.
One thing threw me off, in two episodes so far a five dollar bill is called a sawbuck. Now that is one of my favorite slang terms. An actual sawbuck has "x" shapes for the side pieces, which is the Roman numeral for ten and a buck is slang for a dollar, hence, a sawbuck is a ten dollar bill. It's quite evocative.
With how much effort was put into the show I was suprised they missed that.

The Wolf

Big Joe

Familiar Face
Sawbuck

$5 is a fin or finnif from finf, yiddish for five.

a sawbuck is $10, from the crossed legs of a sawhorse, an x, the roman numberal 10.

a double sawbuck is $20.

a sawbuck is sometimes abbreviated as a saw but never as a buck, because that is a $1.

Big Joe

Feraud

Bartender
I just started watching this series on HBO on Demand. I like what I see so far. I like the time period, the outfits look good and the storyline is interesting.
CARNIVALE follows a traveling carnival as it wends its way across the Dust Bowl, focusing on Ben Hawkins, a mysterious 18-year-old fugitive with hidden talents who is taken in by the carnival, and Brother Justin, the charismatic, shadowy evangelist who will ultimately cross his path. The series takes place at a time of worldwide unrest, with evil on the rise around the globe and the Great Depression wreaking economic and social havoc here at home.
For more info see..

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I liked the first season. I liked the carnival setting, the darkness, the depression-era-dust look of everything, and I liked the cast - especially that blind dude. It was getting a little portentious, and a little mystical and comic-booky for my taste by the end of the first season though. How did the second season pan out - for those with cable who do not have to wait patiently for DVDs to be released. Did it all come together, or did HBO leave it dangling?

Big Joe

Familiar Face
The first season was the better of the two. Having said that I'd still be glued to my set if there were a season three or four. Perhaps we should be writing letters to HBO. I understand the show had a very loyal following.

Big Joe

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
This is what I'm saying

Big Joe said:
$5 is a fin or finnif from finf, yiddish for five.

a sawbuck is $10, from the crossed legs of a sawhorse, an x, the roman numberal 10.

a double sawbuck is $20.

a sawbuck is sometimes abbreviated as a saw but never as a buck, because that is a $1.

Big Joe

Thanks, Joe. That is it exactly. I gave a co-worker the same spiel a couple of days ago. Although a ten being called a saw is new to me. I'll have to try it on for size.

The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana