Heat resistant fabric?

Discussion in 'Skills and Smarts' started by Emilis, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Emilis

Emilis Familiar Face

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a fabric that could withstand heat at around 100 C / 210 F , but wouldn't be a harsh material. As pliable and soft to the touch as possible. Thoughts..??

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I think almost any fabric meets your criteria. What temp do you iron your cotton shirts? Linen can take the highest temp setting on your iron. I am heat transferring decals to a polyester fabric at 300deg F and cotton can handle temps higher than that. Will the fabrics be kept at that heat for a lengthy period or in and out? My default position is always....try it and see....if it works keep doing it....if it don't....then stop.....try something else.

3. Emilis

Emilis Familiar Face

You're very right sir, I forgot to mention that the fabric WILL be kept at that heat for a lengthy period of time.

4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Is it a direct heat source or ambient? If you do a deeper dive into Google you can likely find academic/technical papers on the heat resistance of natural fibres.

Emilis likes this.
  5. Emilis

Emilis Familiar Face

Its ambient. This is in regards to the topic we were talking about putting a sandbag in a oven for the sand to heat up for flanging.

6. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

You've just summed up my philosophy of life.

Emilis likes this.
  7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Therma-Flec, cotton material heat resistant to 350 degrees and it is under $20 a yard.

Emilis likes this.