Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavier coat/jacket that you have

Rus839

New in Town
Only for curiosity, what's the heavier coat/jacket that you have ? Personally I have an old russian army coat that weight 5.6 Kg, I want to know if exist a coat more heavier than mine.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
5,6 kg, what the heck. What size is it? There is a number of 10 pound old Aero real deal heavy steerhide jackets out there, but I'm not sure whether any of these can beat your coat. None of my jackets can.

It's probably fur coat. Russian army fur coats are 5-8 kg easily. I've seen a few.

Aero Steerhide Barnstormer. It was 13 lbs. I know I had to pay extra for the shipping 'cause it was over 5 kilograms.

My JL in 4.25oz CXL with heavy flannel lining, nylon quilt in the sleeves and mouton fur snap on collar is pushing 11 lbs. it's an absolute fortress.
IMG_2153.JPG

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
By far the heaviest "leather" was my Brown Vest De Rally .... I can't remember the exact weight ( it's posted on here somewhere) but it was easily over 10 lbs) .... the toughest, heaviest and most unwieldy horsehide I have ever owned. My shearling lined LHB comes in at just under 10lbs ( but then it is a MWHH LHB lined with a D1 :) My Filson heavy wool lined Tin-cloth Packer comes in at 9lbs and my LW ANJ-4 is 9lbs.

The shearlings feel the lightest on but none of them felt overly uncomfortable to be honest ( except the VDR perhaps which felt like carrying another person after a few hours) :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have a full length wool overcoat from the good old days that pushes 10 lds easy. Maybe I will weigh it someday but it's spring now so it stays in the wardrobe ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hal

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My Teamster is the heaviest, although my Filson Mackinaw Cruiser is probably the warmest. Not too many cold days in N Texas, especially this past winter. My Teamster is just now developing patina and is very flexible with a nice drape.

2016-02-14 12.46.42.jpg 2016-02-14 12.47.19.jpg

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'm a big guy, takes a heavy jacket to make me notice... My heaviest jackets/coats would probably be my Aero Thunder Bay, my two Barnstormers and my LHB, all are horse of course.

Worf

Doctor Wholittle

New in Town
I have a wool Russian greatcoat that weighs like an anchor, but shields me from everything from the nose to the wrists, and the wrists to the ankles. For less severe weather, I have an M. Julian leather jacket that weighs close to 10 lbs and is my go-to/knockaround jacket.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've tried on one of those Russian greatcoats before. Weighed a ton. Loved it, but the Soviet star bottons would probably draw some attention. I'd have gotten it but California isn't Leningrad.

BobJ

Practically Family
My Teamster is the heaviest, although my Filson Mackinaw Cruiser is probably the warmest. Not too many cold days in N Texas, especially this past winter. My Teamster is just now developing patina and is very flexible with a nice drape.

View attachment 73537 View attachment 73538

Holy cow! Those two pictures show why you can't trust photos on the internet to represent true color - one makes it look brown and the other makes it look cordovan! I would swear they were two different jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ