Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy Canvas Cotton Duck Work Pants Where do I buy them?

Looking for something like the traditional Carhartt work pant but I want something closer to what IH offers without the $300 price tag, hammer loop and extraneous pockets. Any suggestions? I'd like them to be in the 12 to 17oz range, straight cut, brown and navy blue would be great. Is it out there or do I have to eat it and order from IH...who doesn't appear to have stock in my size ATM. Help me out sage loungers!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Tony, I feel your pain here. I've tried on a pair of the Iron-hearts at Fontenelle Supply Co in Des Moines. Which reminds me that if you do go for a pair, consider sizing up the waist one notch as they are T I G H T. Once on, they were wonderful and felt like they might last 10 straight years of wearing. The pair I tried were olive green. The $295 price also kept me from proceeding...Check out what these guys have on thier shelves: https://www.fontenellesupplyco.com/

I really like LC King as the post above mentioned, however unless I am missing something, they really do not have a waxed canvas pant. I have a pair of White Oak Cone Denim jeans by LC King and they are fantastic.

Filson is another option, however some of their models are Heavily waxed - the Tin Cloth pants like ones on this pagehttps://www.filson.com/men/pants.html
There again, they are not exactly what I am looking for.

These are not waxed, but this might be a bit closer: https://www.carhartt.com/category/carhartt-men-pants-canvas
And especially this pair: https://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-pants/Double-Front-Work-Dungaree-Washed-Duck-B136
(I have these in Black, they take FQHH style break-in to get comfortable, at $50, that's tolerable)

So -- Hope this helps but I'll look forward to what others might offer in this area...

Last edited:

Psant25

One Too Many
Oh I did not know they needed to be waxed. Throw some otter wax on em. A lot of guys do that to their chore coats by lc king it looks pretty good.

Raven2k360

New in Town
I second the Duluth pants - you're not going to find much of anything that's tougher than those. Even their regular denim pants are stout as hell and last forever.

I’d actually prefer straight heavy canvas. Not waxed. That seems to hot to me. Thanks for the suggestions!

Dav

One Too Many
Carhartt duck next to IH duck, I prefer the heavier IH version, so I say eat it. ;)
You may want to watch the sizing with Carhartt, I'm usually a 34 waist, the 34 Carhartt's had a 37.5 waist so I had to drop two sizes and they're still looser then the IH ones.
P_20190208_120731-1305x979.jpg

Carhartt duck next to IH duck, I prefer the heavier IH version, so I say eat it. ;)
You may want to watch the sizing with Carhartt, I'm usually a 34 waist, the 34 Carhartt's had a 37.5 waist so I had to drop two sizes and they're still looser then the IH ones.
View attachment 155421
I figured yours were IH Dav...I really like the look of those and they are about twice the weight of the carhartt's and the cut is also far better...

My IH's are the 666 cut btw, not the work pant cut.
Got it...probably have to bite the bullet and pony up...I looked at the duluth pants but I don't care for the strange diamond shaped gusset they put at the crotch...

Psant25

One Too Many
I have a hard time paying a lot for a pair of jeans or pants for some reason (thank god). I don't have that problem for jackets, boots, knives, guns, watches, etc …

I, for example, buy my favorite levi 501s for 40 bucks and have the legs tapered at the local dry clean place to my specs for about 20 bucks. the seat and waist on those are already great. I've thought about doing that on a pair of brown duck work pants, but often they have a weird seat and crotch fit.

good luck I hope you find something that works out

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
Some other MIUSA brands you might consider are Left Field NYC, Railcar, Freenote Cloth, and Ciano Farmer. Ciano offers up some heavier fabrics, i think up to 30 oz.

Some other MIUSA brands you might consider are Left Field NYC, Railcar, Freenote Cloth, and Ciano Farmer. Ciano offers up some heavier fabrics, i think up to 30 oz.
Thanks man! Yeah I like the Ciano farmer stuff! Nice price too!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many

gmcd

One of the Regulars
I've got some from Iron & Resin and also Edgevale that are both good quality and fit well. Both are a little pricey for work pants at $150 but the Edgevale occasionally go on sale. Topo designs also make similar style pants but I've never owned a pair.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
By the way, in relation to my Patagonia recommendations above, I used to own their Stand Up pants, which is from what both links I provided are modeled. They were tough as nails. I love how they make their back pockets. Some of my all-time favorite pants. I got lucky and bought them on closeout from Sierra Trading Post for a few dollars. By the time I realized how much I liked them, Patagonia had stopped making them. They became somewhat collectible. Now that they brought the style back, people like myself don't have to watch ebay for used pairs. Patagonia might be a little pricier than some, but their materials and construction are top quality. That's not to mention their ethics and whatnot. The costumer service and replacement stories you often hear are crazy. A company that really stands behind their product and that has more than profit in mind. It's too bad they're maligned with being yuppiewear. Then again, when you're looking at $300 price tags, $80 becomes quite a bargain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff