Heavy wool pants recommendation

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by mtrlr, Jan 14, 2019.

1. mtrlr

mtrlr One of the Regulars

Hi,

Not a jacket thread, but I'd appreciate if anyone could recommend some heavy wool pants a la Filson Mackinaw fields pants, but less expensive, preferably available in black or grey. There are options in plaid or more or less bright green, but that's not my style.

Thanks

2. breezer

breezer Practically Family

underwear does not belong in the outerwear sub forum! ( and wool pants sound horrid, I get mine, 100% cotton from M&S )

3. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  4. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

^^^^Guppy’s right and then some.
    Bullet proof and will out live you.
    B

5. Stlawrence

Stlawrence New in Town

LL Bean. Can't beat them for the price.

6. mtrlr

mtrlr One of the Regulars

@Guppy, thanks, I'll take a look.

7. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

I noticed after commenting that you're looking for black or gray. These are a green color, but it's fairly muted, but not grey.

I think the Swedish military made some grey wool winter uniforms that you might prefer for the color. But I quite like the German pants, for their cut and cargo pockets.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  8. Ernest P Shackleton

Ernest P Shackleton One Too Many

If you're open to greens, there are great options, like the aforementioned German pants (can't believe some of the prices, though) and then the M-1951 trousers. LL Bean and Woolrich are your next best bets. I think Cabelas used to have a couple pairs, but I think you might be right back in the green realm again. I can't remember if they offer a gray option. The thick variety was more for hunting and military winter use.

9. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Not sure if you were joking, but if not, I suspect this is one of those "two countries separated by a common language thing". In North America, "pants" mean "trousers". I gather in the UK pants has supplanted knickers as a name for under garments.

"Underpants" is a term sometimes used in NA, but mainly in respect of children's garments.