Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy wool pants recommendation

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
Hi,

Not a jacket thread, but I'd appreciate if anyone could recommend some heavy wool pants a la Filson Mackinaw fields pants, but less expensive, preferably available in black or grey. There are options in plaid or more or less bright green, but that's not my style.

Thanks

breezer

Practically Family
underwear does not belong in the outerwear sub forum! ( and wool pants sound horrid, I get mine, 100% cotton from M&S )

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
@Guppy, thanks, I'll take a look.
I noticed after commenting that you're looking for black or gray. These are a green color, but it's fairly muted, but not grey.

I think the Swedish military made some grey wool winter uniforms that you might prefer for the color. But I quite like the German pants, for their cut and cargo pockets.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
If you're open to greens, there are great options, like the aforementioned German pants (can't believe some of the prices, though) and then the M-1951 trousers. LL Bean and Woolrich are your next best bets. I think Cabelas used to have a couple pairs, but I think you might be right back in the green realm again. I can't remember if they offer a gray option. The thick variety was more for hunting and military winter use.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
underwear does not belong in the outerwear sub forum! ( and wool pants sound horrid, I get mine, 100% cotton from M&S )

Not sure if you were joking, but if not, I suspect this is one of those "two countries separated by a common language thing". In North America, "pants" mean "trousers". I gather in the UK pants has supplanted knickers as a name for under garments.

"Underpants" is a term sometimes used in NA, but mainly in respect of children's garments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ