Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavyweight Denim Shirts

Sonero

Practically Family
Can someone lead me in the direction of a vendor that sells heavyweight denim shirts ? I am looking for Shirt Jacket/Welder type thickness. Maybe 12oz or higher.

Pike Brothers has a few but not in my size. Wrangler has great denim but the cowboy designs are not for me.

Prison Blues make a great hickory work shirt but I'd like denim or a plain blue chambray shirt but thick.

Any ideas ?

Sonero

Practically Family
Gustin does their work shirt in a heavy denim fairly often.

What happens if you join a crowdfunding sale that doesn't complete 100% ? I see one shirt only 40% funded with 5 days left. So after 5 days if it isn't funded no shirt is made and people get their money back ?

Pandemic

One Too Many
They don’t actually take money from your card until it funds, so if it doesn’t fund then you don’t pay.

That said, I’m not sure I have ever seen something not fund - they seem to manipulate the numbers to maximize sales and make everything go to production.

Sonero

Practically Family
They don’t actually take money from your card until it funds, so if it doesn’t fund then you don’t pay.

That said, I’m not sure I have ever seen something not fund - they seem to manipulate the numbers to maximize sales and make everything go to production.

OK. I guess its just one of these BESPOKE things. They have exactly what I am looking for. I am surprised that Bravestar Selvedge doesn't make denim shirts.

Pandemic

One Too Many
It's an annoying marketing gimmick to drive up demand through perceived scarcity and also get payment months up-front of production.

That said, their jeans, work shirts (but not regular shirts) and leather jackets really are excellent.

They offer a few dozen different fabrics for the workshirts. If it isn't funding now, it will be soon enough. I had a really nice one on khaki twill. I think I have an olive denim and black on 'notify me when it lists again'.

Sonero

Practically Family
It's an annoying marketing gimmick to drive up demand through perceived scarcity and also get payment months up-front of production.

That said, their jeans, work shirts (but not regular shirts) and leather jackets really are excellent.

They offer a few dozen different fabrics for the workshirts. If it isn't funding now, it will be soon enough. I had a really nice one on khaki twill. I think I have an olive denim and black on 'notify me when it lists again'.

I wonder how much shrinkage I should account for with the shirts ? I assume the size chart relates to unwashed denim/rigid ?

Pandemic

One Too Many
I wonder how much shrinkage I should account for with the shirts ? I assume the size chart relates to unwashed denim/rigid ?

Which one are you looking at? Denim is usually around 3%, but maybe less as it gets heavier. Wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email, though.

Sonero

Practically Family
Which one are you looking at? Denim is usually around 3%, but maybe less as it gets heavier. Wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email, though.

I did send them an email. Thank You.

I have my eye on the selvedge denim shirts. They advertise 3 different styles. Going by the chart the Small coincides with the measurement of another work shirt I own. Although a medium SLIM could possibly shrink down to fit. Will have to see what they respond to.

In either case I do appreciate the information. This looks exactly what I had wanted......I did one custom order awhile ago with Ciano Farmer which DID NOT go well due to sizing issues which I was partly to blame for. Hoping this works better for me.

Thanks Again

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
If you're open to buying 2nd hand, check ebay for Levi Diamond Collection. It was a higher end collection made in the 80s and/or 90s. I'm not sure who it was geared towards, but you weren't going to find it in your standard Levi vendor racks.

Sonero

Practically Family
If you're open to buying 2nd hand, check ebay for Levi Diamond Collection. It was a higher end collection made in the 80s and/or 90s. I'm not sure who it was geared towards, but you weren't going to find it in your standard Levi vendor racks.

Thanks. I am surprised that Wrangler hasn't figured out that making a non western looking denim shirt would be super advantageous. Not the thin RIGGS workwear model they make but perhaps a Cowboy Cut without the Western seams and pearl snap buttons. They definitely still have access to decent denim.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Thanks. I am surprised that Wrangler hasn't figured out that making a non western looking denim shirt would be super advantageous. Not the thin RIGGS workwear model they make but perhaps a Cowboy Cut without the Western seams and pearl snap buttons. They definitely still have access to decent denim.
I don't know if this is the case with Wranger, but some of these companies are scared to death of offending their customer base to the point it is paralyzing. A small company doesn't have to worry about it because they're niche and have a customer base that has probably sought them out and/or sunk their teeth into the investment of the label. A mid-sized company has a little more to lose, but they want more market share, so they have a reason to be progressive. And then you have large companies that are complacent and can be fearful of losing their base. I think of Filson in clothing and Viberg in boots. People base their identities on these brands. If you offend them, they'll walk away to another identity. Filson changing their fit to meet modern desires, and Viberg branching out and away from just work boots. Wrangler, sort of like Walmart, has less of an identity aspect, though we likely all know people who claim identity in not having identity like that. I kind of respect Wrangler for just sticking to what they know. Even if falsely, I think of it as not being greedy and not having to reach their mitts into every market to feed their stockholders. There's something cool about knowing what you do well and just doing that. It's almost anti-corporate in a way. What, you're happy with what you have? What are you, some kind of communist?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
You might find some options here: https://www.wrangler.com/shop/men-shirts-denim-shirts

I just have to admit my suprise at your intrest in denim shirts and NOT in a Western style. Truth be told, these are at the heart of the Western style spectrum. While possible to find some without those details, they will be much harder to find. Our local farm supply store only had 2 of the Wrangler models - one had western elements and the other did not. Both were very light wash. I personally prefer the darker Indigo wash or un-washed versions myself.

I ordered the Rigid Work Denim shirt in "Large Long" - 16.5 x 37 today direct from Wrangler, and will do a review of it once it arrives. With shipping that was $42. Those Iron Heart shirts, starting around $200 (on sale) better last a very long time and be off the charts for style for those prices! I have a green Wrangler rigid work shirt presently, along with a Levi's Western-style denim shirt that has pearl snaps on it. Both came from resale shops. Good luck with your search...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21