Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help a gal out - how can I "Vintage-ify" this dress?

dearmrrabbit

New in Town
Hello! This is my very first post here after lurking the boards for some time and finding it all extremely informative and helpful!

So today I am reaching out to you ladies for a little personal help.

My work is throwing an "Old School Hollywood" themed formal party next month, and due to budget restrictions I am unable to buy or make something entirely new (or old, as it were).
I have here a dress that I thrifted for a few dollars some time ago. It is fitted (or will be once I take it in a little), has a bit of cross-over action happening at the front of the bodice and is red. Oh, and SO sparkly!

For some reason I couldn't upload my photos, so here are links to them instead (please tell me if this doesn't work either):

Front:
http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w664/dear_mr_rabbit/IMG_5053_zps402e1d7e.jpg

Close up of the front, you can see the cross over bit and the sparkles better:
http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w664/dear_mr_rabbit/IMG_5057_zpsc999d1ce.jpg

Back (with a nice little hole I didn't know was there..)
http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w664/dear_mr_rabbit/IMG_5062_zps2587634f.jpg

Sorry to make you do that.. :(

I feel like it maybe gives off a little bit of a 50's vibe, but I'd like to take it further. You see, there is a best-dressed competition at said party, and because I tend to dress in a vintage style at work quite a bit, people (including myself) have rather high expectations of me and my outfit for this event [huh]

So what I would love to hear from you is any suggestions to perhaps jazz this little ol' number up a bit. I'm thinking of going for an Elizabeth Taylor/Marilyn Monroe esque glam vibe, my hair sets usually end out pretty much the same as Elizabeth Taylor's short style so I figured I'd just roll with what I know being that I'm not really all that experienced in these things.

My initial thought is to get some red sheer fabric and created a gathered/pleated overlay for the bust part, and a matching skinny belt to define the waist. I also am considering creating a sort of cape-back effect by sewing the same sheer to just the shoulders and leaving it to flow down the back, or perhaps chopping that in two so I can tie it up in a knot/bow at the back.. if that makes any sense at all?

Anyway, have at it and let me know - I'm fairly handy with a sewing machine so alterations are fine :)

Also, if anyone has any recommendations as to shoes and accessories to match I would be so, so grateful! I have both black and white opera-length gloves but I'm having the hardest time figuring out if I should match the shoes and to which colour anyway.

Thank you in advance!!

wahine

Practically Family
Welcome to the board! :welcome:
I think you can upload photos after your tenth posting or something like that.

It's a cute dress and very becoming on you - good pick. My first idea was the same that you had: do some sort of draping. The pick of fabric would be crucial. If you don't manage to find one that's exactly the same color, maybe you wanna go for a contrasting color. To make an "almost" matching color look nice would be quite a challenge (it's not impossible though).

Another idea: Since it's a bit short for a fifties look, you could maybe unsew the bust part from the bottom part and put a bit of new different fabric in between, maybe even see-thru. And you could use the same fabric for some shoulder draping or a scarf..?

Nothing too inspired, but maybe fit for a topic starter.:rolleyes2:

dearmrrabbit

New in Town
Welcome to the board! :welcome:
I think you can upload photos after your tenth posting or something like that.

It's a cute dress and very becoming on you - good pick. My first idea was the same that you had: do some sort of draping. The pick of fabric would be crucial. If you don't manage to find one that's exactly the same color, maybe you wanna go for a contrasting color. To make an "almost" matching color look nice would be quite a challenge (it's not impossible though).

Another idea: Since it's a bit short for a fifties look, you could maybe unsew the bust part from the bottom part and put a bit of new different fabric in between, maybe even see-thru. And you could use the same fabric for some shoulder draping or a scarf..?

Nothing too inspired, but maybe fit for a topic starter.:rolleyes2:

Wow Wahine, thank you so much!
Those photos are a great reference. I do love that dress Marilyn is wearing, so that's a fantastic idea too.

I'm definitely feeling something sheer, but a contrasting colour could look quite nice, maybe black or grey.. I'm a bit afraid of going too over the top and making it look too full on, it really is incredibly sparkly haha

Thanks for your help! :)

wahine

Practically Family
You mean, you don't wanna end up like this?

:biggrin:

I see what you mean, you wanna be a looker, but not a Las Vegas showgirl ;)
To use grey seems a nice idea to me, it's not such a hard contrast as black would be. Maybe do some layering - a non see-thru red that's as close as possible to the dress fabric and as a top layer a nice very sheer grey see-thru fabric?

dearmrrabbit

New in Town
You mean, you don't wanna end up like this?
:biggrin:

I see what you mean, you wanna be a looker, but not a Las Vegas showgirl ;)
To use grey seems a nice idea to me, it's not such a hard contrast as black would be. Maybe do some layering - a non see-thru red that's as close as possible to the dress fabric and as a top layer a nice very sheer grey see-thru fabric?

Haha yes, exactly!

That's what I am thinking.. I think I'd best pay a trip to the fabric store with my sparkly dress to see what looks best!

Thank you again, you've been so helpful x

dearmrrabbit

New in Town
Do you know, I was going to make basically that dress from scratch initially! I'm not sure why I didn't think of that when I decided to alter this one :eusa_doh:Thanks for the reminder, I'll make sure to post up whatever it is I go with!

dearmrrabbit

New in Town
Wahine - aahh I love a good cape back!!

HadleyH - those are really nice too, so lovely and simple!

tuppence - hehe thank you!! It's one of my favourites! And thank you for reading my blog :)

Thank you SO much for your fabulous ideas ladies, I have a confession to make now though - I've decided to go the DIY-from-scratch route.. eep!

I went to some fabric stores and just could not find ANYTHING I was after for my red dress:mad:

So in a huff I went home, found some blue lace, drew up a design and now I'm half way through. Cutting it a little fine though, the event is next Friday :eusa_doh: :D

I'll make sure to post photos once I'm done, I've gone in the total opposite directions with lace and pouffy skirts!

Thank you all again xx

dearmrrabbit

New in Town
So the party was last night, and my dress was a hit! I came 3rd in a best dressed competition after two guys who wore costumes.. it was "cheer" based and I don't really know that many people at my workplace haha.

Here's what I ended up with, like I said it is totally different to what I started out with!
IMG_5610_zps7ee234a1.jpg

Top skirt attaches with hook-and-eyes

IMG_5613_zpsa09c10a4.jpg

IMG_5614_zps127e75f7.jpg

lace-covered straps (which were a total pain to do) and flap things (totally the technical word)..
IMG_5623_zpsfc16e535.jpg

I ended up wearing different shoes, these ones make me look a bit stumpy.

Thanks to all of you who posted photos and ideas, if I could have found the darn fabric I wanted it would have been awesome.. stupid fabric store. But I am really happy with how this turned out in the end and I got a lot of compliments on the night! :)

wahine

Practically Family
Drmrrabbit, it came out wonderful! The color is very becoming on you and I love the double skirt! In combination with your hair and the white gloves, it looks very classy.
I was thinking about making a double skirt dress for quite a while now but always wondered if it really looks good. Now I know it can look just grand - at least on you ;)

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
that dress looks wonderful on you, both with and without the overskirt! You're hair looks amazing as well - definitely deserved 1st place in my opinion :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112