Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help choosing a bedroom set.

zaika

One Too Many
So. I'm going to get a waterfall style bedroom set. There are two on craigslist that I'm looking at. One looks really lovely, but is nearly $500. The other looks less lovely (but nice enough, in my eyes) and it's for $275.

Here's the spendy one. It doesn't come with a stool for the vanity.:

01010401151201041220080608bb0d8f1d3.jpg

010110011604010409200806083bba4e442.jpg

And here's the cheaper one that doesn't come with a nightstand:

01020601040601160120080607f5653c976.jpg

011501010411011608200806077c11fef4e.jpg

Help me choose!!

ETA: I can afford the spendy one...but I'm hoping for your eyes to spot a better deal. Sometimes the spendy ones ARE the better deal. Thanks!

zaika

One Too Many
Nevermind. Fate chose for me. lol

I'm getting the not so shiny set. But hey...if it doesn't work out, I can always find a different set later.

Maybe.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I actually think the not so shiny set....is more a victim of really bad photography then anything else...

Bet its way prettier in person.....their technique did not lend any warmth to the wood...which i am -sure- is there...

zaika

One Too Many
ooh. i hope you're right.

a few months ago i saw a vanity that was similar to the one i'm getting, but the "inlay" was just screen printed particle board. so, i'm really hoping that it's not like that...and that the wood is slightly warmer.

bottom line...i hope you're right. :) we shall see at 7 pm this very eve. hehe.

the other one got sold before i could even take a look!

zaika

One Too Many
So, I got the set!! After I shine it up, it should look great. The only thing I don't like about it is that the wood detailing (look at the dresser...the top strip of wood that looks like inlay?), is actually a screen print.

I don't know if they did that in the 30's or if that's a sign that this is a later set or what. It doesn't detract from the set at first glance...but if you look long enough at the wood screen print on the detailing...meh.

Anyone know about these sorts of things? I think I'm going to sell it later in the year and buy a more expensive set with real wood inlays and such. For now, however, it's marvelous. lol

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
A lot of 30s sets have those decals on them. My waterfall bedroom set has urns and swags on it that look hand-painted, but upon closer inspection they are decals. It doesn't bother me too much.

A friend has a waterfall dining room set that looks like it has the same decal inlays that yours does. On spot rubbed off and they just painted the spot to look like the rest of the decal and you can't even tell its there anymore.

zaika

One Too Many
rmrdaddy - thanks! i like the idea of using liquid gold... lol

Miss N - yeah, i figured it must have been the kind of set that the lower middle class working folks probably purchased. but i will mostly likely upgrade in the future. i'm just glad i have a vanity now! it might inspire me to start curling my hair again.

bebopbaby - see...i didn't know that was common. thanks!! that makes me feel better that i didn't get ripped off. there are some spots on the decals that are rubbed off. i'll do the same as your friend and just paint them back on.

shirt - thanks for the link!! i'll definately do it. there are some scratches and scuffs that i'd like to see gone.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
The Shirt said:
http://www.howardproducts.com/restora.htm

I just used this on my waterfall set, my kitchen cabinets and a teak 50's table. I cannot rave enough about it. It nearly made a horrible watermark completely disappear on one and restored a good deal of sun fading on the other. Almost looks brand new.

Cool set anywho!

Plenty of folks on this board can sing the praises on Howard's Restore A Finish. After reading the recommendations of people on this board, I bought some myself and can't speak highly enough about it. My waterfall set was a little scratched and dinged up and had lost it's luster. I used Restore A Finish and followed it with Howard's Feed And Wax. I couldn't believe how it brought out the luster in the wood. In the sun the wood almost looks irridescent now. These are the best products I have ever used.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:
Plenty of folks on this board can sing the praises on Howard's Restore A Finish. After reading the recommendations of people on this board, I bought some myself and can't speak highly enough about it. My waterfall set was a little scratched and dinged up and had lost it's luster. I used Restore A Finish and followed it with Howard's Feed And Wax. I couldn't believe how it brought out the luster in the wood. In the sun the wood almost looks irridescent now. These are the best products I have ever used.

Indeed....for anyone left unbelieving....here is a thread with before and after pictures..

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23885

zaika

One Too Many
oh miss n! your set was SO beautiful! that's the kind of quality i'm ultimately going to go for down the road. lovely lovely.

i'll post piccies of mine soon. you can see how modest it is. lol :p

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, congrats. Did the set you got come with a headboard like the other one? The frustrating thing about all those sets is that our slimmer ancestors were quite comfortable in what used to be called a double bed, Now it's called a "full" sized, whatever that means. Some older headboards can be adapted to queen size frames, but one way or another you have to do some chopping, which I hate to do to even a mediocre antique.
Anyhow, I'm sure you'll spend many happy hours in your elegant new boudoir.

zaika

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Very nice, congrats. Did the set you got come with a headboard like the other one? The frustrating thing about all those sets is that our slimmer ancestors were quite comfortable in what used to be called a double bed, Now it's called a "full" sized, whatever that means. Some older headboards can be adapted to queen size frames, but one way or another you have to do some chopping, which I hate to do to even a mediocre antique.
Anyhow, I'm sure you'll spend many happy hours in your elegant new boudoir.

thanks!! yes, fortunately, it did. i do have a full bed, so it's the right size. but when i was hauling it up to my apartment, the frame seemed kind of light and flimsy. i'm really hoping that once the bed is set up, it'll be sturdier. otherwise the victorian behemoth i have now ( i think it's victorian...it's old and ornate) will overtake the waterfall. [huh] oh well.
lol i've already spent a ton of time in front of the mirror!! lol i've never ever had a mirror in my bedroom...so it was sort of like waking up in a fun house this morning... lol lol

zaika

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Now you need all those little glass perfume bottles and powder puffs and other girly stuff on your vanity. And a negligee! Woowoo!

oh, believe you me!!! all of that is on the list!! (except the negligee...not even my cats would like to see me prancing around in something like that lol lol!!) i even have a glass container that i got from target that looks so vintage and it's just perfect. this will be a really fun project.

zaika

One Too Many
here are some pics of the vanity and dresser. not very good...and not shined up yet. the hardware is weird too...lol all in all, i really love it. no pics of the bed, for some reason...

DSC06442.jpg

DSC06443.jpg

DSC06446.jpg

DSC06435.jpg

DSC06438.jpg

DSC06439.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto