Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Choosing a Whippet?

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I don't have a Whippet but I do have fedoras in Caribou and Tawny. I find the tawny to be a bit more versatile though I tend to like the Caribou better if I'm wearing black but don't feel like wearing a black hat. The tawny pretty much goes with everything.

Get one of each and you'll be covered!

indycop said:
I like the Tawney too...
tawny_kitaen_teen5.jpg

Pompidou

One Too Many
I bought the tawny whippet from Del Monico Hatter. This is the hat in action. I love it, and I'll be honest, so does everyone else in the world. My black porkpie? It's hit or miss. My tawny whippet - haven't had a heckler yet. I have to recommend it. I like my porkpie the best, but I can't argue with the entirety of the civilized world.

24243_1249585089155_1515318688_30556725_715961_n.jpg

jbucklin

Practically Family
Pompidou, I concur. Along with the entirety of the civilized world I add my voice, "That hat looks good on you!" :eusa_clap

Pompidou

One Too Many
Oh, I have to add -

I started fedoras because my dad wanted one for his camera collection - he's really into classic press imagery as a photographer, and wanted a very particular hat to put a press card into. He found one on eBay, a vintage JC Penny I think, Only sure about the vintage part, to display, but it was a size seven, and didn't fit. I got inspired to get myself a hat when I was looking for one for him before he found that one. I'd gotten an Indy commemorative first. Then a black pork pie that I liked. Then I got the whippet and gave the Indy away. The whippet was the one he always wanted, so, I got him one too. Loves it. Loves it so much he won't wear it except to barbecue or go to restaurants. I wear mine all the time. I don't care if it gets ruined. I don't hide my socks away in the dresser because they might get a hole in them. I use everything I buy. But yeah - dad loves his whippet too. Exact same one. Funny sometimes going out together in identical hats.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I believe the 2009 and 2010 Whippets are the same. In my book, both colors are nice and choosing between them comes down to personal preference. That said, I think caribou is more versatile than tawny.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
It's a tough call, but I like the Tawny. Not just for the felt color, but also for the ribbon choice. I've been eyeing it for some time, and one of the few Stetson felts I'd sink money into.

Still, Caribou is nice. But I love gray hats, and I still prefer the Tawny.

The best thing to do is look in your closet. What dominates your wardrobe? Gray and black? Or Tan and brown? Green is kind of neutral, and so is blue. Failing that, what color do you need?

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
It's a tough call, but I like the Tawny. Not just for the felt color, but also for the ribbon choice. I've been eyeing it for some time, and one of the few Stetson felts I'd sink money into.

Still, Caribou is nice. But I love gray hats, and I still prefer the Tawny.

The best thing to do is look in your closet. What dominates your wardrobe? Gray and black? Or Tan and brown? Green is kind of neutral, and so is blue. Failing that, what color do you need?
I personaly like the 2009 style better, but I love caribou.
My closet is full of neutrals, so it is a hard pick for me :mad:

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
I'm still not clear on the 2009/2010 business. I don't think there's a difference. Illuminate us, if you know.
The 2009 one is a bit more lighter tawney with a dark brown ribbon. and the 2010 is a darker tawney with a more lighter brown ribbon then the 2009 one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points