1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Help dating a vintage A-2 style Schott Bros(?) jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Kubatu, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Kubatu

Kubatu New in Town

Hello guys. Recently I bought this vintage A-2 style jacket off of Ebay. I'm not super familiar with vintage stuff, but some quick research on the internet has given me some info. First, here's some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the details I see currently:

Size 38.
    Civilian issue A-2 style, not mil-spec. ( Not a one piece leather back, pockets have convenient side "entrances" that were not present in original A-2s. )
    Wool-like cuffs and hem.
    Quilted-style lining.
    Talon Zipper. I used this thread to try to zero in on the date, but I'm not really sure of what I'm seeing. My thought is it looks most like the late 1940s-modern example of the slider body shape, but I couldn't find a matching pull tab image in that collection. It has that half circle shape inside, but a rectangular shape outside.
    Schott Brothers labeling. I've never seen a Schott label like this before, so I'm a little confused. Will probably post on the Schott forums if no one here has any idea.

My main goal is just to figure out a general time of when this jacket was produced. It would be cool to figure out a price for what it's worth, but that's not my primary focus since I'm not planning to sell it anytime soon. If more pictures / different angles would help, please let me know.

Any ideas? Any thoughts are appreciated!

2. lucky23

lucky23 One of the Regulars

Nice find! Perfectly worn in and great color.

Kubatu likes this.
  3. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Pattern looks just like a 1970's Schott civilian flying or 'bomber' jacket. I think they based this on a 1950's style originally. There were many thousands of these.

Here's another mid 70's one. Partial knit replacement.

Schott 1970's.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Kubatu likes this.
  4. Kubatu

Kubatu New in Town

Thank you! A lot of it was just luck. I noticed the talon zipper which made me think it was an actual vintage piece, but there wasn't a brand given when I bought it. Definitely would have had more competitive bidding if it was listed as a Schott for sure.

Yeah, that looks almost identical to what I have, down to the lining, zipper, and other details. Thanks for the help!

5. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

Schott 674(? not sure of the number), I had one like it in the 80s. As others have said, it was a popular model for years, until it was replaced by the 184 "four-way" model in the 90s. The back construction changed at that point from this horizontal seam at the shoulder blades to a G-1 style bi-swing.

When I got it circa 1984 - on sale for $99! - the store had two variations, both in black or brown naked cowhide. The version you have had a plain collar and quilted lining. The version I had had a faux-fur collar like a G-1, and white acrylic pile lining in the body, quilted lining in the sleeves.

These were GREAT "bombers"! Here's a pic of mine from 2001 (when image files were small!) just before I donated it to goodwill.

OLDSCHOTT.JPG

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Kubatu likes this.
  6. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I just happened to blunder onto the name of this jacket. It had a tag inside which read

I-S-674-M-S Flight Jacket

Yep, probably 1980's.

Kubatu likes this.