Help Dating Dad's Florsheims

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by MondoFW, Apr 28, 2018.

1. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

I found these loafers that belonged to my father. He has no recollection of when they came, and they look hardly worn. I honestly find these shoes incredibly boring and low-quality (and it seems like he feels the same way :rolleyes:). Insole is lackluster and the leather feels cheap. Perhaps they were used for a costume. Anyways... 19dd32ac-adff-41ea-a610-97f744f61a69.jpg bb344697-0491-4807-98be-a5830e8a1620.jpg 3122319b-5e3e-468a-be69-de6f04e96a18.jpg 181896d8-da80-4a5d-b077-c9f34e5edb90.jpg

I 4b9b7c1d-3a57-417d-b4fd-088089e228b4.jpg i looked up a florsheim dating guide, and the date ID (KB) supposedly indicates that they're post-1960. Other than that, i can say nothing other than that this wasn't pop's best purchase in his lifetime.

2. Retro Spectator

Retro Spectator Practically Family

I'm guessing they're probably from the 70s. I could be wrong though, as I'm not the most familiar at dating shoes.

MondoFW likes this.
  3. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I thought the same thing. I have no skills or special knowledge as some here clearly do, but I remember shoes like that popping up in the '70s during that all-ugly-clothes period and, then, for the most part, being gone by the '80s. Before I read the initial post, just looking at the pics, I thought they must be from the '70s.

MondoFW likes this.
  4. MondoFW

I suspect both of you may be correct. The style definitely looks 70s, the material feels so as well. Thanks for the confirmation, gentlemen.

Fading Fast likes this.
  5. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

We had at one time a "cataloged" numbering system from Florsheim that explained how to figure out information as to model date and manufacturing information but lost it when we purchased our new computer and failed to save that file. Not sure if you can contact Florsheim and see if they kept that information and would forward it to you or not? I seem to recall the CEO of Florsheim as being a female and have no clue who is in charge now? I would hope that it could still be available from Florsheim as they had been actually a proud company that had an understanding if the role they play in the "footware" industry. There is one lounger that would perhaps know all this, perhaps if he is reading this he will chime in?

6. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

I would have to agree, although in some models of Florsheim shoes, the heel pattern was used for a long time period that may well have started in the 1960's for some of their midrange shoe line.

7. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

LuvMyMan likes this.
  8. MondoFW

I should have specified that I used this already. Combined with input from loungers, my best guess is these date back to 71.

The best part is these abominations were special order. He specified this style. Pops never had the best sense of style. He looked sharp in the 50's, but it looked like he was just following the crowd, even then.

9. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I remember these shoes being sold in the early 1980's.