Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help finding a fedora with small dimensions

lauro13

One of the Regulars
I'm only 5'2" and skinny and the standard fedoras I come across seem a bit oversized on me so I always end up with Stingy brimmed hats. I saw someone post a Stetson Molton that seemed to have more of a regular fedora look but the dimmesions all around seemed smaller (shorter crown smaller brim thought not too stingy. I have a Pannizza kanguroo (pic below) that seems to fit me well but haven't come across many other hats that share these proportions. If anyone can point me towards some (preferably vintage) models like this I would appreciate it.

hat2.jpg

A471D595-E168-4942-B958-5B97CA92D6C3-4966-000002518856199B.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Between a 6 7/8 and a 7.

Ebay my friend. I've gotten several good deals on eBay (most between $15-$60) for vintage lids. 6 7/8 and size 7 hats go for dirt cheap since it's a smaller head size and less common, and to boot, the stingy brims from the 60's seem to have survived en masse. A win win for you!

lauro13

One of the Regulars
That's what I've been keeping tabs on, just looking for particular model names that might make the search more fruitful.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
That's what I've been keeping tabs on, just looking for particular model names that might make the search more fruitful.

Aside from the more iconic models, like the Open Road, or Stratoliner, San Antonio, etc, most of the model names have been lost to history. More to the point, most eBay sellers don't know enough about hats to correctly identify them anyway.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
lauro13, as Randall and Jared have said, you've got it made on ebay. Try searching using "vintage fedora". Of course on ebay all fedoras are vintage but your bound to find dozens to chose from with your size. Take the front to back and side to side measurement of the inside of the sweatband of your Pannizza and use that as your guide to fit. Don't trust the hat size listed, ask the seller to provide that measurement (and hope they do it correctly) to use as a size guide. I always ask if there is moth damage or stains too. Good Luck!

JonnyO

A-List Customer
I picked this practically brand new 6 7/8 Cavanagh Thirty up for dirt on eBay, that would definitely be your place to look. This hat also has a small look to it like you are looking for, here is a picture that may help.
IMG_1977.jpg

lauro13

One of the Regulars
I know what you mean Randall, considering I can get away with buying 6 7/8 and sometimes a bit smaller if I have them stretched, I find myself unable to pass up stuff good deals even if I know they won't get wear.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Lauro
you can even go super vintage like 30's & older due to a good majority of hats were just in your size, & the smaller brims with taller & straight sides even a reverse taper would look killer on you......so you dont have to just rely on more late 50's to 60's stingys.....Try etsy also & you might remember Roberto Isola from the Swing Scene here is his
email, cityvintage@hotmail.com he is a gold mine for vintage & has a Appt. Only biz in Daly City....some are pricy & some are good for what you get pure virginal vintage hats &
this guy has ton's I mean he is a great source !
but ebay is easy pickins too for your size & can be cheep...
good luck amigo just go easy & take it slow..Ill let you know if i find something , I have a collection of grand kids & im always pickin up lids for em & ill keep you in mind for your
build & hat size.... but check out Roberto he is cool :cool:
che
Oh Yea Roberto has giant hat sizes for you others reading this in the San Francisco area..tons of hats in 7 3/8 & up, up

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Lauro
you can even go super vintage like 30's & older due to a good majority of hats were just in your size, & the smaller brims with taller & straight sides even a reverse taper would look killer on you......so you dont have to just rely on more late 50's to 60's stingys.....Try etsy also & you might remember Roberto Isola from the Swing Scene here is his
email, cityvintage@hotmail.com he is a gold mine for vintage & has a Appt. Only biz in Daly City....some are pricy & some are good for what you get pure virginal vintage hats &
but ebay is easy pickins too for your size & can be cheep...
good luck amigo just go easy & take it slow..Ill let you know if i find something , I have a collection of grand kids & im always pickin up lids for em & ill keep you in mind for your
build & hat size.... but check out Roberto he is cool :cool:
che
Oh Yea Roberto has giant hat sizes for you others reading this in the San Francisco area..tons of hats in 7 3/8 & up, up

Thank you for posting this information, always good to have a newly discovered gold mine for hats!

Walt

One of the Regulars
Lauro
.....Try etsy also & you might remember Roberto Isola from the Swing Scene here is his

Is that the "cityvintage" that is selling lots of hats on ebay?

Mystic

Practically Family
I know of two sweet hats at my local antique mall that fit the bill I could go pick em for ya if ya wanted. If interested I can get pics

If the prices are right on these you might consider buying them and offering them for sale yourself. Either in the Lounge classifieds or on ebay.

Just a thought.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I usually do that Mystic but the hats are REALLY small and this was one of the first guys on here to list that their hat size was below a 7. So I do not want to be out cash and have a couple of tiny hats just lying around.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Is that the "cityvintage" that is selling lots of hats on ebay?
He did quite a while back,
has not posted for almost 4 months on the bay...
he just sticks to local vintage shows or out of his shop by appt.. he does a lot of movie stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ