Help finding my first hat

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Creeping Past, Jan 4, 2009.

1. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Felt or straw?

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

This should start the debate. I think that Akubra is always a good bet for an entry level fur felt hat. They, IMHO offer the best value in the market. They offer multiple styles to fit your needs, decent quality, hard wearing and they look good.

3. Best hat for the rain while working horseback in March in Wyoming with a budget of $1500? Best hat to wear to the beach in Hawaii before taking a swim? (Hello @jonesy86 ), or the best hat to go to the Met Gala with a budget of $20? Are you looking for a western? Dress fedora? Everyday hat? Homburg? Is your budget $50 or $200 or $600?

It’s like asking what’s the best car and wondering how you’re going to pull your 30 foot travel trailer and seat your five kids when I tell you to get a Toyota Prius.

We’d like to help, but you have to give us more to work with before we tell you to buy an Akubra. :)

Brent

4. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Cut to the chase.

Buy a Camp Draft. If you don't like thin ribbons, put a wider one on. You just won't get better bones for the $$.

5. Pellie

Pellie A-List Customer

I also recommend Akubra hats. Bang for your buck.

jonesy86 and Silver-Wolf like this.
  6. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

[​IMG]

Yamahana, Rmccamey, Bamaboots and 6 others like this.
  7. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

The Akubra hemp straws are good beach hats.

8. Silver-Wolf

Silver-Wolf One of the Regulars

Yup,
    Brent said it well, you need to share a little more information on the kind/type of hat your after. A budget or even the intended use for the hat, hot dry or cold 'n wet, work or play etc.. Without a slight idea of what your after and a budget range it's like asking how long is a bit of string.

I was wearing a Balmoral today in fact.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    deadlyhandsome likes this.
  9. Pellie

Pellie A-List Customer

Indeed, i have 2 Akubra Capricorns. I love them!

Silver-Wolf likes this.
  10. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Start with a bowler and work your way out from there.
    Hang here long enough and you'll find yourself with more hats than Imelda Marcos had shoes.

Yamahana, Rmccamey and deadlyhandsome like this.
  11. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Oh My GAWD! Charlie Chaplin wore a bowler as did Stan Laurel, Lou Costello, and the bad guys in a Clockwork Orange. Just be SURE you're good with that look!!!

On a side note AKUBRA doesn't make Bowlers. Per above, don't blow the bank on a $500, 100% beaver hat, chances are about 30% you won't like wearing a hat and won't get another one, OR 70% that you'll need the extra $ to get a hat that fits your face better. I have 4, 3 hat boxes by Hammer Plastic full.

Later

12. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

13. Scott Mensching

Scott Mensching New in Town

I was thinking 100 to $150 definitely not straw either fur felt or a blend. A 40s style fedora

14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

or in my case hats & shoes!

Yamahana and SteveFord like this.
  15. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Then at that price point definitely look to Akubra. As mentioned above the Campdraft comes in a good colour selection and is a great looking hat at a great price. If you want a smaller crown/brim look to the Sydney or Stylemaster. David Morgan is the US distributor/stockist or you can buy direct from Aus ....Hats Direct or Everything Australian.

Silver-Wolf likes this.
  16. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

A pre-owned Stetson Sutley? They have nice proportions and aren't that expensive.
    I was wearing one but the way the weather has gotten to be so blustery a Stetson Special Derby makes more sense.
    Kind of a ridiculous argument as I'm inside reading a book and playing the guitar today but it looks pretty windy out...

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  17. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

I second that emotion!!! But if you start with a bowler, it's all downhill from there!

20191106_091528.jpg

18. I think that derbies look best when dressed up a bit. You can add dents to a Homburg and sort of tame it’s formal or semi formal nature, but the derby/bowler just looks better to my eye when paired with something dressier than my usual casual attire. Maybe it just takes more confidence to wear it well?

Rmccamey likes this.
  19. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Pairs well with a black leather Harley jacket and sunglasses :)

Yamahana and deadlyhandsome like this.

20. That’s what I said: dressed up. :)