Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for Fashion Disaster

dnjan

One Too Many
I think he's referring more to the TYPE of clothes, rather than how they're worn...
Yes, but considering the old saying "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink", simply having a proper wardrobe is only part of the package. Often times the easiest part (it only takes money ...). Knowing how to wear clothes correctly is in many cases the most difficult part.
Shouldn't be.
But is.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Originally Posted by cchgn
IMO, if you look at your dresser and closet, toss everything and fill it with classic duds and you can never go wrong.

Not true.
If you don't tuck in your dress shirt, you are still wrong.

Actually, that statement IS true. If there's nothing in the closet but classic clothes that will match no matter how you put them together, the truth is, you can't go wrong.

We're talking about several different issues. ONE of his issues is that he can't determine what goes together or not, what is "classic" or not, to what extent does fashion go- what are the boundaries, do's and don't's, etc.

ANOTHER issue that he has is that he doesn't seem to see the need to tuck in his shirt. IMO, too many here are taking that single thing out of context and making a mountain out of a molehill. I believe that he was simply using that as an example of how far removed from fashionable he is, not that he's a bum, with no couth.

The fact that he got on here and "put his neck out" and asked, shows that he recogizes his shortcomings and is trying to do something about it.

I'd ask you why you feel the need to try and correct me. What could you possibly hope to gain by doing so? The truth is, that statement is a stand alone, truthful statement.

Furthermore, as far as that goes, there's nothing "wrong" with not tucking in your shirt( many shirts are designed to not be tucked in)( so actually, YOUR statement is not true). In the context of being fashionable, tucking your shirt in is a requirement, but that's so basic, that I'm sure the OP knows that.

dnjan

One Too Many
My apology - I was using you post to emphasize the importance on not only having decent clothes but also in knowing how to wear them (and being willing to wear them correctly).
Given that the original post mentioned the un-tucked button-down collar shirt, I assumed that simply having the correct attire would not be enough.

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
Here's a tip I for picking up inexpensive wingtips: Look for golf shoes at thrift stores. A cordovan pair I found recently at Goodwill are all leather, leather lined and they only cost $5.99. The cobbler commented to me as I picked them up that I am now the proud owner of the cheapest pair of $200+ shoes he's ever seen, and they'll last a lifetime. Replacing the sole cost $60, but now I have some REALLY nice brogues. I'm on the lookout for some black ones now.
I just picked up a really great pair of cordovan brogues. They were dirty and creased, but after some saddle soap and a few coats of polish, they look almost new.

Corky

Practically Family
I am going to play the role of Devil's Advocate here...

I am going to play the role of Devil's Advocate here, so please take my advice with a grain of salt.

First of all, you have to grasp that clothing is simply a language to express who you are and your relationship to the rest of society.

None of the advice you have been given is wrong or even off-topic, but it might be way over your head.

Let's go back to when you first started noticing girls back in grade school or junior high. You wanted them to notice you back, right? Most of the people who are offering you advice are the guys who figured out then and there how to be the best-dressed guy in the room to attract those girls. And they continue to strive to be the sharpest dresser anyplace they go, even if they wind up in someplace like Beverly Hills or Manhattan.

And some of the people on the Fedora Lounge (like the late A.C. Lyles - Google him to find out what I mean) - were able to pull this off somehow. But it requires a mind set and a personal vision and a mental image of the image one wants to present to the world.

I am not sure that you are there yet.

You wanted the attention of those girls and yet your mental processes directed you to not notice whether or not your socks match, whether or not a tucked-in shirt makes a difference in how you look, and allowed you to wear socks with sandals. You seem intent on presenting your self as a world-class dork.

This mind-set has to change for you to pull off a transformation.

You find yourself in a situation where your poor wife vomits in her mouth when she looks at you. There may be some deep-seated psychological problems going on. I can't help you with that, but I can tell you that you might be in need of something more than quick tips to bridge the gap.

But since we are only talking about how to select and arrange the clothes on the exterior of your body, it is possible to learn enough about how to dress properly to pass as someone who knows how to dress.

Let's hypothetically say that first you and your wife go through your closet and just get rid of everything in there (except for a few items that have special meaning to you).

Then determine out your sizes in everything and write them down.

Then your self-improvement project goes like this:

1) Casual Wear - Get a copy of the current L.L. Bean catalog and have your wife help you pick out and order some new pants, shirts, and accessories. That stuff always looks good and up to date and it all more or less goes together.

Then go to the Joe's New Balance Outlet website and get a pair of dark blue or black New Balance 993's. Those are flat out the best looking and most comfortable casual shoes made.

2) Work - Again the the current L.L. Bean or Brooks Brothers catalog and see what they have to offer; that will give an idea of the look you want to project to the world. See if you can get a better deal on suits at Joseph A. Bank or Macy's. It is important to have your suit fit properly, so you want to avoid mail order and try them on if possible. A plain black suit, some plain white or blue dress shirts and a few conservative ties ought to do it.

There is a Brooks Brothers bricks and mortar store near you - go in and become familiar with what they stock. Brooks Brothers is made for a style-challenged person like you. They have well-trained clerks and almost all of their stuff goes with the rest of their stuff, so you can hardly go wrong.

3) Hats - Get rid of all of your BB hats which have a plastic connector or any kind of size adjustment thingee in the back. Find out your hat size and get a few plain solid color fitted BB caps in your hat size in an assortment of colors to go with your casual wardrobe. I suggest navy, royal, black, or tan to start.

The cheapo fedoras go into the trash. When you can afford it, get either an Open Road or an Akubra Campdraft.

4) Watch/Jewelry - That's up to you. Less is more.

5) Shoes - Timberland moccasins or the NB 993's mentioned above for casual wear. Quality classic dress shoes can be found at a reasonable price.

(Despite what previous posters say, 2nd hand shoes could have wear problems the from the previous owner which you might inherit. Good quality shoes and shoe trees are a cheap investment.)

6) Don'ts: There is absolutely no common sense or matching ability available through my current brain setup, so even something super obvious would be news to me.

Your current brain setup is obviously where the problem resides, so that's what has to change.

Go to Amazon dot com books and search for some Dress For Success books, read the various descriptions and order a few in used hardcover editions.

Read them over and over, memorize what's in them, and try to follow the rules they give you before you get dressed every day.

And the most important thing to remember is this: To any woman, the most attractive thing about a man is self-confidence.

But having self-confidence and faking self-confidence amounts to much the same thing.

So good luck on following those rules and faking self-confidence until you develop the confidence in yourself to project the image of the person that you want to be.

Best regards.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry but I really have to disagree with a few tips here. The new balance shoes are surely for sports and not for "everyday wear"?:rolleyes:
It doesn't match the question at all. How is this a step up and "more golden era" as he requested?

1) Casual Wear - what are a few staples of a wardrobe I need to dress casual on the weekends and avoid sweats and t-shirts? I don't wear shorts often, and I enjoy casual slacks. Type of shirt? What would be a good weekend casual look.
2) Work - I work in a Business Casual environment, so I normally have Khakis and a button down (un-tucked) on. I'd like to match the daily business look of the Golden Era - what do you suggest at a minimum.
3) Hats - I have about 90 BB hats right now. Got to kick this habit. I have a cheap-o Fedora and two caps. When to wear which would be my question.
4) Watch/Jewelry - I wear a wedding ring and a lodge ring. I also carry a Hamilton RR watch. That's it - I think I am good there.
5) Shoes - I wear slip-on leather dress shoes to work, what should I have for casual/weekend foot wear?
6) Don'ts: as far as the fashion topic, what are some things I should avoid at all costs? My worst right now is sandals with high socks, guess that needs to stop. Remember, I am a walking billboard for the worst style in fashion, so maybe some tips as to what to avoid at a real low level. There is absolutely no common sense or matching ability available through my current brain setup, so even something super obvious would be news to me.

I will give it a try.

1) Polo shirts, Chambray or Oxford shirts, Shawlcollar Cardigans or other knits, high waisted trousers. It's kinda tricky but maybe you find some sources here Quality casual clothes
2) Since you asked for golden era they would have worn full suits in an office enviroment. If you take the high waisted trousersm, tuck in your shirt and maybe add a sportcoat you should be fine.
3)Sorry but I have to pass on this question. I don't know when to wear BB caps except for a game. Maybe try the cap faction for a more vintage looking casual cap?
4)Ok, that's fine.
5)I would buy a pair of black leather shoes (captoe or wingtip) fopr business or more formal events and then decide which casual shoes you like. Maybe suede, saddle shoes, canvas shoes (Pf Flyers, Keds?), desert boots... There are various threads all over the FL. It somehwat depends on taste and the climate.
6) There are too many don'ts. I don't know where to start.

TSP13

Familiar Face
Make sure your pants aren't too long, and dark jeans typically look better than faded. Shapiro is right, I always get complimented on my shoes before anything else. Invest in a dark brown and black pair, and you should be able to match them with all outfits. You should go for a nice pair of shoes and keep them in good shape with saddle soap, mink oil, and polish. Mink oil is only neccessary if your shoes would be exposed to rain a lot. Gradually replace your bulk of tee shirts with white undershirts and button downs, and as previosly stated keep them nice and tucked. I personally wear khakis and dress shirts most days, and when the weather gets colder gradually layer, harrington jackets, field jackets, sweaters, overcoats when wearing a suit. Plus don't be afraid to do things like sports coat over a polo, or blazer over a rollneck sweater. And with socks to shoes it's not always neccessary. Once you get a feel for pattern matching you will be able to elegantly balance your outfits. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points