Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for pitting in vintage cookware?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I bought a set of vintage copper clad bottom Revere Ware on ebay and one of the pots has pitting on the inside bottom (wasn't mentioned in the auction). I'm happy with the set overall and I know shipping it back for a partial refund will be a hassle. Does anyone know if it's still safe to use? The pitting reveals black spots. I don't know if it will allow copper or something dreadful to leech into my food.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
take it to a plater and tell them just to plate up to the copper stage. They should be able to do that, don't know what it will cost.

Mike

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The copper on the revere cookware is a pretty thin layer. If it was down to the copper I'd worry about uneven heating. I'd have it recovered as Mike suggests, or write it off.

I had a pan pit (not a Revere) and eventually the pit became a hole, and that was that. I used it for a year from pitting to hole developing.

This thread makes me a bit homesick- my grandfather worked for Revere in the rolling mills (copper pipe).

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Is the inside of the pot copper?

Stainless steel or copper, it will not contaminate your food. You can continue to use it as sheeplady did, until it develops a hole.

In the meantime keep a lookout for another pot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points