Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! How can I fix my leather jacket?

g12863

New in Town
I noticed the cuffs on my leather jacket were wearing out so I bought this.

https://www.amazon.com/Beesbutter-Co...rds=beesbutter

Mainly my fault for not following directions but I didn't test a small patch and applied it all over my jacket. The next morning there was a white residue all over the jacket and it made the jacket feel dry... It came to me buttery soft...
frown.gif
. I'm not sure if I used too much... I rubbed away some of the residue with my hands since it was wax but now it looks like some of the black color has faded. Here's what my jacket looks like now.

http://pasteboard.co/h3DXi6IjA.jpg

The jacket came with this basalm from the store so I bought more of this. It helped a little but it still feels dry and didn't help with the color...

I thought about buying a color restorer like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Jacket-...k+jacket+color

But reviews were saying how even after a week it would rub off on other items... :/

Anybody have any suggestions before I take it to the leather cleaner? I have black shoe polish (https://www.amazon.com/Meltonian-76...=1483538061&sr=8-5&keywords=black+shoe+polish) but I'm afraid I might make it worse so not sure what to do. Thanks!

Oh, and yes, I am 100% sure it is real leather!

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Hard to tell from one photo but it looks like the excess wax from the product is sitting on the jacket, the wax being white, rather than the wax having removed any colour from the jacket - you'd be able to see this in person better than me.

If that were the case I would maybe try heating it slighlty with a hairdryer and wiping it off with a cloth. Again I'd try that on a test patch first. Just have to be carefull not to over heat things.

This is going from my experience of waxing wax jackets wherin if you put too much on you can end up with white patches like this when the wax cools.

I think trying to remove some of this product rather than adding more products over it would be the path to take.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
If that were the case I would maybe try heating it slighlty with a hairdryer and wiping it off with a cloth. Again I'd try that on a test patch first. Just have to be carefull not to over heat things.

I think tring to remove some of this product rather than adding more products over it would be the path to take.
Yes, that is the path to take. You certainly don't want to add more conditioners to your jacket. The suggestion to heat it with a hairdryer and wipe off the residue sounds like good advice as well. Results such as this are the reason that most of us on this forum advise to only condition leather when it really needs it. Yours didn't need it, and this is what you now have to deal with. Good luck in your restorative efforts.

Let us know how it works out for you so we can add to our collective body of knowledge.

BTW, welcome to the Lounge. PC

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Yep, heating small areas at a time with a hair dryer then wiping off with a cloth or scraping off with a blade would be my first suggestion too. Reapplying the product will sometimes 'reactivate' the dried stuff & allow you to wipe it off.
Difficult to be affirmative with the photo but the leather doesn't look the best quality......when applying leather care products, it's always better to know just what kind of leather you're dealing with & any surface treatments it may have undergone which often prevent such products from penetrating the leather.

willyto

One Too Many
Don't add anything more to it. Just heaten up the jacket with care. I think wearing it for a while inside home might do the trick, just wipe the excess then.

Something similar happened to me when I used vaselina on my leather jacket (It was needed) and I applied a bit too much on some areas. Nothing to worry about, just remove the excess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk