Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help identify my Stetson - please?

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
The item I won finally came a few days ago - a Royal Stetson. As usual I expect the hat to be a bit crushed, and indeed it is. Usually it's easy to restore its shape, if it's a fur felt, but this time it's not. Nevertheless, I finally can reshape it a bit better. But on expecting the item more closely I now become a bit worried...

IMG_1828.jpg

Is my Stetson fur or wool? :eek: and is it vintage? :(

It is lined,

lining.jpg

But the felt is not as smooth as my other fur felt from Adam or Knox.. although still smoother than my wool...

felt.jpg

No particular information on the sweat, only a faded, stamped "John B Stetson - Royal Stetson" text.

I also find difficulty with the brim, I don't know how to say it but the "curving" is not symmetrical, so it gives that Australian slouch hat pattern (one side curved, one side a bit flat).. maybe it should be a snap brim, but lost its "snapping" characteristics?

front2.jpg

side.jpg

The pic is not very clear - but if you look straight in front of me wearing that hat, you'll see this "slouchy" look... So I wonder if that's a proper way to don a fedora?

Or is this hat's brim shaped that way?

Need your opinion please?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice

Certainly fur felt, judging from the color of the sweat & the diamond pattern on the liner (this is based on my admittedly faulty memories of what I have gleaned through endless misspent hours here on TFL) dates from late 70s to mid 80s. Your report of less than cooperative felt would also tend to support a later date when Stetsons felt quality is perceived to have declined.

A little steam should allow you to correct the damage sustained in transit and reform the brim to your liking. From your photos it is difficult to see the asymmetry from here, though. I have also found that lifting up on the brim from the sides (at about your temples) will help force the front of the brim down. A tighter pinch can increase the "swoop" of the front of the brim too.

Is the color closer to the close up (kinda grayish) or the first photo (buff or tan in color)?

Honestly though, I just live in Tennessee & I can only wear felts 4 - 5 months a year, do you have much opportunity to wear felts in Indonesia? I keep thinking I should concentrate on straws! [huh]

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info, Rick. Glad that it's a fur felt, though not the best quality. Because if I want wool felt, I'll certainly get new.. The winning bid is 41 bucks, and I still have to add shipping cost.

Haven't tried any steam yet - since usually I don't need any. But maybe it's the time. It's not just the brim, some of the dents on the brim causes by transit can't be fixed until now.

The hat color is more of tan or camel, not grey, and the lining is white ( I see no stitching - can't be removed, so I suspect it's glued) - glad that it's relatively very clean. About the brim, well, after trying several pose and tilts I guess this asymmetrical shape can be my signature :) This tan color is the one I've been searching!

About the felt in tropical country - well, indeed, I only wear fedora on several occasions, such as when I go to shopping malls or public places with air con. Further, I mostly ride motorbikes so I rarely wear fedoras. I wear fedora in open space too sometimes, yep, it's very hot, but while wearing hat I realize that it's better feeling a bit hot and sweaty than being scorched by sun!

Anyway, TFL certainly has sucked me into the quicksand of hat world - no escape :D :D so no matter the heat, well, sacrifice is needed if you wanna look different!

I'm still planning to get a straw though, but my wallet ain't ready yet :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21