Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help identifying a vintage horsehide flight jacket

Motorbass

Familiar Face
I just acquired this vintage brown/grey-ish flight jacket (if that's what it is). I have no clue about the age or the maker. There is just one small label stating that it is: "Genuine Top Grain Front Quarter Horsehide". This label looks similar to the ones used by vintage Sears and Hercules Jackets. Also the pocket construction looks similar to old Sears, Hercules. There are no labels hidden in the pockets. At some point somebody sprayed or painted the word "WAKA" underneath the label. No idea if this is supposed to be a name or a unit. In any case my guess is that this is a civilian jacket and not a military jacket, but I could be wrong. Anyone has an idea which maker and year this could be? I love the wonderful patina this jacket has. Here are some images, including fitting:
4dfa58208f682f2edb84eb0435fac85b.jpg
86e7d326a59d281d4b6a47ad51eeb6e2.jpg
04cbae0e3deb24fbf1bb1be156844311.jpg
0c07cedfb85241ee8dea512bb782aba4.jpg
b1059fdcfbe55c5d15ecbe0ce4188bca.jpg
6cffe5601af5f79f816992e840f1cf4a.jpg
d12716ef3db75d9c4fd0397364e58bad.jpg
e44970517e44585ec2412ce4a489b5be.jpg
3a9b3b80f08842c7b4501020a8df23a2.jpg
8a71f2c284b5750652645848e598cc80.jpg
fe14ab16591d74a2e02a9ac51c5f33e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Motorbass

Familiar Face
Well, it is civilian not military. Have no idea who made it though...
Yes, I had that suspicion too. What I figured out in the meantime is that the Talon zippers are most likely mid to late 1940ies.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This jacket could have a Hercules, Windward, Sportclad label. Jacket is from the 40s by that Talon zipper pull. The zipper stop probably has Talon written down the center?

Styles like this were fairly widespread among labels. Unaffiliated stores also carried "un-labeled" jackets like this one. The zippered pocket is unusual.

Check the zipper stop.

Nice looking jacket!

Motorbass

Familiar Face
This jacket could have a Hercules, Windward, Sportclad label. Jacket is from the 40s by that Talon zipper pull. The zipper stop probably has Talon written down the center?

Styles like this were fairly widespread among labels. Unaffiliated stores also carried "un-labeled" jackets like this one. The zippered pocket is unusual.

Check the zipper stop.

Nice looking jacket!
Yes @tmitchell59 the stop box has Talon inscribed on it. What I have not seen yet is the curved Talon logo on the zipper of the breast pocket.

PS.: love your YouTube videos!
792c78d1be84ad22fbdfa4c30b46cb39.jpg
686b3666b3a5d9c0bbf3c75a51275119.jpg
51fa6fa5daf84cb19c1f48751dbd537f.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Yes, very much mid 40s. I don't look that closely at the pocket zippers. I will have to start looking.

There were some big time leather manufactures back in the day. The catalogs typically showed several leather jacket styles each year. A lot of leather jackets were made and sold under a ton of different Store/Brand labels.

Some of the makers are known. Rough Wear Clothing, Appalachian, Monarch, variety of West Coast makers. Others I'm not thinking of. There were smaller makers all through the country, more regional.

It is a subject that interest me, but few others.

PS.: love your YouTube videos!

Thank you.

Peacoat

Bartender
While I am not a fan of the dried out patina look, I am a fan of heavy graining. This jacket has it. If the hide feels dry, and it looks as though it might, an application of Pecard will give it the conditioning it needs.

You did well with this one. A fine old jacket with plenty of life left in it, and a very good fit. Congratulations.

Motorbass

Familiar Face
While I am not a fan of the dried out patina look, I am a fan of heavy graining. This jacket has it. If the hide feels dry, and it looks as though it might, an application of Pecard will give it the conditioning it needs.

You did well with this one. A fine old jacket with plenty of life left in it, and a very good fit. Congratulations.
Thanks! Just a quick question: cleaning with saddle soap before Pecard? Yay or Nay?

willyto

One Too Many
Thanks! Just a quick question: cleaning with saddle soap before Pecard? Yay or Nay?

I would use something like Lexol Deep Cleaner which cleans leather really well (Dirt, dust and grime) and then when it dries use your regular conditioner. Saddle soap can be harsh on leather and stitching, at least that's what I've been reading and been told many times.

If you want to restore the brown color a bit, try testing Dr. jackson's Hide Rejuvenator. I use it before Pecards on jackets in this condition.

Yes, it brings back more of the original color than Pecards. I tend to use both on old jackets. Go easy though, too much conditioner can be another problem.

willyto

One Too Many
Yes, it brings back more of the original color than Pecards. I tend to use both on old jackets. Go easy though, too much conditioner can be another problem.
Definitely. Always better to apply 2 thin layers if needed. Until the conditioner is fully absorve and dry I wouldn't apply more and that's only if the leather feels dry still after that.

Peacoat

Bartender
If you are going to clean it, and I'm not saying you should, I agree with @willyto that Lexol Cleaner in the orange container is a good bet. I have never used Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator, but agree with @handymike that it might do the trick on this jacket. Let dry between applications of everything and then apply a thin coat of Pecard. If it still feels dry, try another thin coat. When it has had enough Pecard, the jacket should be supple once again.

I would like to see it after you have completed the rejuvenating process. I really like this jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ