Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help identifying brand?

cjamesbrough

New in Town
Good morning :)

First off, I'm new to FL so let me just say, "Hello!"

Next, I hope I am posting in the right spot; please move if I am not.

I've recently become obsessed with owning a leather jacket. Preferably a cafe racer-style or something similar. Anyways, in poking around at all the different places one could conceivably get a nice used one, I happened upon one that caught my eye. The only problem is, there is no manufacturing label/tag on it, only a Made in England tag.

The only other distinguishable thing I can spot is that the metal zipper tags (??) have an 'A' on them. I've attached some photos and am hoping someone can help me figure out who made this jacket.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

cjamesbrough

New in Town
That Lewis Leathers is awfully close. The only differences I spot are the lack of the Lewis patch and the snaps that hold the flap in place. If it is not a Lewis Leathers, its a pretty good version of it.

Peacoat

Bartender
Looks like a nice jacket. As it is made in England, whatever the brand, it is well made with a good hide.

BTW, the part of the zipper you called a "zipper tag," is correctly named a pull tab, or puller or a tab. It really made no difference in your post as you included a picture, so we all knew what you were referring to.

This is your first leather jacket, but it won't be your last. This is a good section to visit to get information on all types of outerwear, especially leather jackets. I'm sure we will be seeing more of you in the future.

Welcome to the Lounge. PC

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a nice jacket. As it is made in England, whatever the brand, it is well made with a good hide.

BTW, the part of the zipper you called a "zipper tag," is correctly named a pull tab, or puller or a tab. It really made no difference in your post as you included a picture, so we all knew what you were referring to.

This is your first leather jacket, but it won't be your last. This is a good section to visit to get information on all types of outerwear, especially leather jackets. I'm sure we will be seeing more of you in the future.

Welcome to the Lounge. PC

England has made many cheap leather jackets out of poor quality jacket. They did it in the 60s, they still do it today! In the 60s Mascott went as far as using vinyl on the underside of the collar to save on production cost, i don't think they cared much about the quality of the leather they used.
Not everythign is an Aero or a Lewis Leathers...

England has made many cheap leather jackets out of poor quality jacket. They did it in the 60s, they still do it today! In the 60s Mascott went as far as using vinyl on the underside of the collar to save on production cost, i don't think they cared much about the quality of the leather they used.
Not everythign is an Aero or a Lewis Leathers...

Well, Lewis Leathers did some lousy stuff in the past, too. Material-wise, at least, but luckily they pulled through. Fantastic range of styles never failed them. Schott was using vinyl the same way, I've seen two Perfectos that had everything facing inwards made of faux leather. And let's not forget Buco's special polyurethane line.

@cjamesbrough , is that your jacket or are you thinking about buying it?

It is a jacket I am looking at but am pretty hesitant because a) I don't know who made it and b) can't confirm from the photos that it is even genuine leather (though it probably is).

It's probably leather but you can do considerably better for what I don't imagine would be much of an up-charge. Brand helps, of course, but there are some real gems out there that never had a tag.
Leather on the jacket you posted isn't really all that great and the way the jacket is cut is very questionable.

What I'd do is check Deals thread as you can't really go wrong with anything so far posted there.

cjamesbrough

New in Town
So I emailed Lewis Leathers to see if they could confirm or deny that this jacket was one of theirs. They agreed that it looked an awfully lot like one of their jackets from the 80s but without the identifying tags, they couldn't confirm.

C'est la vie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui