Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Help) Looking for Entry Level A-2

achosid

New in Town
Hello,

I used to own a Cooper A-2 that was sized too large on its own, plus the Coopers of that era seem to have been shaped after balloons.

I long since sold that one, but I'm looking for an "entry level" quality A-2 in russet. My assumption is that this is the $300-$500 range, but I'm happy to be told I'm wrong on this. What's my best option for a new jacket? I can always keep an eye out here for used ones, but I'm hesitant to buy things I can't return where sizing can be tough through measurements.

Thanks in advance.

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I used to own a Cooper A-2 that was sized too large on its own, plus the Coopers of that era seem to have been shaped after balloons.

I long since sold that one, but I'm looking for an "entry level" quality A-2 in russet. My assumption is that this is the $300-$500 range, but I'm happy to be told I'm wrong on this. What's my best option for a new jacket? I can always keep an eye out here for used ones, but I'm hesitant to buy things I can't return where sizing can be tough through measurements.

Thanks in advance.

If you can stretch your budget to $600, Schott A2SM when on sale is a good option.

Alan.Alebic

New in Town
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Maybe Fivestar leather
They will make custom size a2 for very good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harris HTM

One Too Many
From what I've heard on the Vintage Leather Jacket forum the best value/price ratio is the Dubow MFG (Platon from Bill Kelso leather), it costs around 500$ if I am not mistaken but is considered almost on par with the more expensive repro manufacturers.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was gonna suggest Dubow but since it is custom order, there is stricter return policy.

Also since you mention not liking the fit and look on the Cooper, I'd suggest you take a look at Goodwear Leather or Eastman website first to examine the slight variations on various A-2 contracts. There are the Roughwear with the collar stand and there is the later Dubow 1755 with regular pointy collar. Even though some of the entry level A-2s are not copies of a particular contract, it is still helpful to notice the details and decide if that is what you like.

achosid

New in Town
This is all really helpful information, thanks everyone.

I emailed Dubow, but does anyone know if their prices include VAT and what will be credited for a US buyer?

I've also been looking at AVI and FiveStar. AVI seems to have some mixed reviews around here are FiveStar looks interesting, but almost too inexpensive?

Bill: I'm looking for a trimmer fitting modern jacket, which my understanding is far closer to the trim fit WWII era jackets. I'm 6'2" and around 220 pounds.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Your size may present some challenges. I am your height and require a 27 inch back in an A2. Most seem to be 25.5 inches long.

It will help you a lot to know your pit-to pit measurement. The AVI largest size is 48 and has a 24 inch pit-to-pit, which may be a bit small.

achosid

New in Town
Your size may present some challenges. I am your height and require a 27 inch back in an A2. Most seem to be 25.5 inches long.

It will help you a lot to know your pit-to pit measurement. The AVI largest size is 48 and has a 24 inch pit-to-pit, which may be a bit small.

I guess it's tough being taller and wider than your average WWII pilot! I'll measure a jacket this evening when I get home for an idea on what works for me. Thanks for your input.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Would you consider a Cockpit USA or more generic A2? They can be had for decent money and would fit. They do long sizes. I've been looking at a G1 by them.

achosid

New in Town
Seb, are the Cockpit USA jackets well thought of? People seem rather enamored with the FiveStar jackets, at least over on the other forum.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I personally really like those 1970's era Schott A-2's and they're totally decent and vintage. Something like that might work for you.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Seb, are the Cockpit USA jackets well thought of? People seem rather enamored with the FiveStar jackets, at least over on the other forum.

They are well made - not well thought of if you want a period accurate A2. These are an entry level, modern take on the pattern. But since you are a larger guy they might work for you. If you were a size 38, five nine and 140 pounds - forget it. Their G1's are generally liked. One of their A2's is the current issue jackets as I understand it.

I have bought two Fivestar leathers. They build quality is sound, the knits are not great. I have not tired an A2 and I have nothing to contribute about their patterns.

Last edited:

regius

I wonder if the OP has settled on an entry level A2? Surprised no one suggested Gibson Barnes, their Air Force issue A2, the only without side entry pocket, would be hell of a lifetime jacket, it’s not modeled after balloon, & fit very beautifully.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if the OP has settled on an entry level A2? Surprised no one suggested Gibson Barnes, their Air Force issue A2, the only without side entry pocket, would be hell of a lifetime jacket, it’s not modeled after balloon, & fit very beautifully.

Really? I though the Gibson and Barnes jackets were notorious for their oversized fit, especially since they moved manufacturing to Mexico a few years ago. I like their old leathers a lot too but I have generally had to buy a jacket a size or two smaller than my usual so that it isn't a tent and always in a long. I wish I still had their goatskin Raider G2. I sold it and regret it now.

Have you seen their recent jackets, Regius? Any comment on the quality?

Last edited:

bn1966

G&B modern jackets in my experience are huge!!!! Purchased a nylon MA-1 type in XL and drowned in it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko