Help me ID this sailor uniform?

Discussion in 'WWII' started by BigBrother, Feb 14, 2021.

1. BigBrother

BigBrother Familiar Face

A vintage friend picked this up (tunic and short-sleeved shirt). I’m guessing it’s just an enlisted undress service uniform from WWII, but the more info I can get the better (for example, no clue on these patches). Ignore the anchor brooch which was just some stupid addition by the previous owner, and please excuse the oddly rotated ones as mobile uploads seem... finicky :).

Thanks so much!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  2. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

I believe the first pic shows the Coast Guard emblem, which is used on some uniform articles of clothing. I have seen it frequently on pea coats.

3. North American Sojouner

North American Sojouner New in Town

Looks to me like a paygrade E2 and E3 which would be Seaman apprentice and Seaman. I believe those are working whites (button up) and dress whites. So you have a Dress Uniform with Seaman Stripes, and working whites with Seaman Apprentice Stripes.
    No idea on the shield but the only pic I found was on some African American sailors. Strange but I don't think it means much. 1940s-1950's
    Zim
    whites.jpg

4. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

These guys aren't sailors, they are Coasties. I have seen this emblem on numerous peacoats over the years. It's the emblem of the USCG. The image below is attached to an anchor, but when embroidered on clothing, the anchor is omitted.

Not to take anything away from the Coast Guard, as I would love to be in the CG during war or peacetime as a pilot. They have a bunch of difficult rescue missions during both periods. Plus, it's just cool to do patrol off our shores looking for trouble.

uscgcpohtbdgmyrmtlnick30sobv.jpg