Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me name this accessory! (close cousin to the throat latch, I believe)

robertsieg

New in Town
Hey gents, this will be a newbie question for most of you, but the answer has eluded me for a long time. Years ago I saw some trench coats and even some sports coats with this detail, and I tried to make a mental notation for the future when I would request this for a custom garment. Alas, it has been forgotten long since. And yes, I did search this forum thoroughly but to no avail. But luckily I recently found a picture which shows this exact accessory:

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Vintage-jacket-leather-bag-with-scarf-in-mismatching-brown-tones-300x450.jpg

It's the kidney bean shaped detachable 'latch' under the gentleman's collar. I'd like to ask, this is a trench coat feature first, and a sports coat feature second, correct? Any other garments you might find it on? It seems like a more casual, sporting look. Also, I seem to remember it being placed under the lapel, or even inside the coat itself. Does the placement vary? I thought I remember a picture of Prince Charles closing his lapels with it, not the collar. Thanks for any info you can give!

Peacoat

Bartender
Hard to tell from the picture what exactly you are referring to, but from your description, I would say it is what is commonly known as a throat latch. It is found on WWII pea coats. With the large collar popped up, and the throat latch fastened, the winter winds are sealed out.

Peacoat

Bartender
In peacoat circles we have always called them a "throat latch." I looked up the definition of a throat latch. The closest I could find is, "A strap that passes under a horse's throat and helps to hold a bridle or halter in place."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace