Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick my first Aero Leather Jacket

59TR3A

New in Town
I feel like I'm driving poor Carrie crazy with my indecisiveness over which one to choose. I'm in the process of getting a B-6 back to her, since I didn't think I could pull it off and currently have $1099 in credit

I was originally going to go with a cafe or board racer as a replacement, but I really want something designed specifically for driving instead of motorcycling. I'm looking to avoid something that will ride up in the back while keeping me warm and looking the part in my '59 Triumph TR3 during the colder months. The Veste De Rallye might be an option, but I would prefer a zipper.

All suggestions for a more automotive inspired jacket and pictures are greatly welcome!

Thanks!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The 30's pattern block is more comfortable sitting with in the car. I personally prefer the 30's pattern block over the 50's pattern block.

Between the Cafe and the Board I prefer the Board Racer/Seven. It's T shirt fit jacket though, but much more comfortable than the Cafe Racer/Sheene. If I were to re-do my Board Racer Seven I get some Carr snaps to keep the dress collar in place like the A2 jackets. Cossack collar is no problem.

Since you're going through TB you can also look at Vanson and Thedi. So many choices there.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
That Triumph TR3 will be cool (and so will you driving it) regardless of whichever Scotland-built jacket you select there. Hope we see photos of it soon too...

Carrie is quite accustomed to indecisive folks. Many of us (myself included) have been there, and still may hit that spot again. Not to worry...

Personally, I feel some good suggestions have already been made. How about a '30's Half-belt? I think in a nice rich brown color, with a scarf and hat made out of wool, well, you know where this may be headed. Perhaps the 2-way zipper would be a good option as well.

A slightly different pick, not often seen here, but also still a half-belt style is the Plainsman:
https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/mens/plainsman/mto057

Edward

Bartender
I would consider a goathide, with a warmer lining - possibly shearling - for Winter open-top driving. An RAF style is also good for that; Irvinalikes are a very common site on folks here in England who drive the likes of Morgans in cooler weather. Unsurprsing, really: they were. after all, designed to be worn in a tight cockpit in the cold...

If you are worried a sheepskin flying jacket is a bit 'much' for your aesthetic, then a warm-lined goat jacket would be a great option. IMO.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Any jacket with a front drop will ride up when sitting in a car unless you get a 2-way zipper or a button up. A jacket with a knitted waistband is good for driving.
That or go short vintage ‘Cossack’ style. I’m picturing an alpaca-lined goat aviator with a high waist.

66EE5D0C-5238-4AA1-8F4F-799BC4143236.jpeg

Last edited:
I would consider a goathide, with a warmer lining - possibly shearling - for Winter open-top driving. An RAF style is also good for that; Irvinalikes are a very common site on folks here in England who drive the likes of Morgans in cooler weather. Unsurprsing, really: they were. after all, designed to be worn in a tight cockpit in the cold...

If you are worried a sheepskin flying jacket is a bit 'much' for your aesthetic, then a warm-lined goat jacket would be a great option. IMO.
An Irvin would be a great look with the TR

59TR3A

New in Town
What about a hooch hauler, bootlegger or a moonshiner?
I'm honestly starting to lean in this direction! The hooch hauler looks kind of like a zip version of the flight jacket from The Aviator.
That Triumph TR3 will be cool (and so will you driving it) regardless of whichever Scotland-built jacket you select there. Hope we see photos of it soon too...

Carrie is quite accustomed to indecisive folks. Many of us (myself included) have been there, and still may hit that spot again. Not to worry...

Personally, I feel some good suggestions have already been made. How about a '30's Half-belt? I think in a nice rich brown color, with a scarf and hat made out of wool, well, you know where this may be headed. Perhaps the 2-way zipper would be a good option as well.

A slightly different pick, not often seen here, but also still a half-belt style is the Plainsman:
https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/mens/plainsman/mto057
https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/tr...ations-dont-care.1814114.1814190/#msg-1814190
How old are you? Height? Size?
37, 5 foot 8 inches, 38 chest with the tape measure snug, 34 waist

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! Any others would be greatly welcome!

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Definitely something with action back / gussets to help with flexibility

I know nothing about this aspect of jackets, but it seems to me a few people around here recently agreed that gussets make a much bigger mobility difference than an action back.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
I'm honestly starting to lean in this direction! The hooch hauler looks kind of like a zip version of the flight jacket from The Aviator. \

I'd suggestion caution. My CXL Horse HH is my only leather jacket and I like many things about it, but I would not call it comfortable for driving. If you go this route you want a thinner/softer (and maybe warmer) leather than thick horse stuffed with oils.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Blasphemy, perhaps, but another option would be a short waxed canvas jacket. I know Barbour has more cultural meaning/associations in England than the rest of the world, but they make a number of lined, cropped jackets made for horse riding that would be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ