Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[Help Needed] How to tell a fake schott apart?

Tunaygur

New in Town
Hey leather jacket experts,

Didn't wanted my first post to be this but here we are. Today I received a shott 654 jacket I picked up on e-bay. The tags on the jacket was marked as jacket too shiny, but that's not a big deal for me as long as it's good leather. When I picked up the jacket I immediately felt something not quite right. It feels like I'm touching a crumbly plastic than leather. Also inside the sleeves I see the leather has been sewn on top of the liner. In my other schott jackets liner and leather are sewn to each other nicely to a perfection. A quick search online told revealed that there's suppose to be a ticket with a barcode in one of the pockets which is mission on this jacket. I'm adding a few pictures below but I'd appreciate if anyone has a definitive method to tell whether this is genuine or fake.

For example does the lack of ticket in the pocket definitively mean it's not genuine?

Thanks for taking a look

Attachments

• IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2936.jpg
    IMG_2936.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2937.jpg
    IMG_2937.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2938.jpg
    IMG_2938.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 182

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
I dont really know much about Schott's, but that - especially the last pic - does look suspect

Peacoat

Bartender
Why don't you contact Schott with your concerns? When Gail was alive, they had an excellent customer service department. I imagine they still do, but I don't know who is running it now.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
It seems genuine to me, though clearly a B-stock, notice the red pen on the tab.
I looked for photo's of the sleeve for 654 and came upon this:
1703076829598.png

Tunaygur

New in Town
Why don't you contact Schott with your concerns? When Gail was alive, they had an excellent customer service department. I imagine they still do, but I don't know who is running it now.
Yes I made some research in their forum and asked there as well. Maybe I’ll shoot an email to them today

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It looks like a return with the RN code and reason of return was because leather is too shiny. And then maybe some one picked it up from the factory sale and then somehow made its way to you.

If they can search their database using the RN code maybe they can give you a date or which store it came back from. But it does not look like a fake for sure. Just a returned jacket.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It looks very similar to mine, which I got in 2015. I can't speak to the end construction of the sleeves because I had mine taken up a couple of inches. My seam label is different, but not in any useful way. And there's a different Made In USA label that doesn't say anything about imported materials.

However, the leather on mine is very nice - supple, mid-weight cowhide that I'd never describe as plasticky. Yeah, the finish coat is a bit shiny, but not obnoxiously so.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This isn't a fake.

The red marker means that it is either a prototype/pattern test or a factory second, sold at the annual factory sale.

I don't think they use pleather in their prototyping process at all; at most you'd be dealing with hides that didn't make the the cut for a production jacket or offcuts. In this case the reason for the jacket being determined a factory second or for the leather being used on a prototype is the shiny hide.

Mind you I would consider that a plus. The shiny Schott hides break in beautifully.
It looks like a return with the RN code and reason of return was because leather is too shiny. And then maybe some one picked it up from the factory sale and then somehow made its way to you.

If they can search their database using the RN code maybe they can give you a date or which store it came back from. But it does not look like a fake for sure. Just a returned jacket.
It's not a return. It's a jacket from the factory sale, most likely a pattern test using this leather that was shinier than the leather they use on the production model, since that leather couldn't be used on the production batch.

Tunaygur

New in Town
This isn't a fake.

The red marker means that it is either a prototype/pattern test or a factory second, sold at the annual factory sale.

I don't think they use pleather in their prototyping process at all; at most you'd be dealing with hides that didn't make the the cut for a production jacket or offcuts. In this case the reason for the jacket being determined a factory second or for the leather being used on a prototype is the shiny hide.

Mind you I would consider that a plus. The shiny Schott hides break in beautifully.

It's not a return. It's a jacket from the factory sale, most likely a pattern test using this leather that was shinier than the leather they use on the production model, since that leather couldn't be used on the production batch.
Ok this explanation resonates with me, I actually like the shiny leather so no problems with that. As longs as it's not a cheap replica made overseas I actually would wear the jacket Schott or not :). The only question mark I had was the lack of pocket ticket and the factory second explanation makes sense. Thank you

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok this explanation resonates with me, I actually like the shiny leather so no problems with that. As longs as it's not a cheap replica made overseas I actually would wear the jacket Schott or not :). The only question mark I had was the lack of pocket ticket and the factory second explanation makes sense. Thank you

Given the sleeve thing you pointed out, I think it's more likely a pattern/leather test than second, which is actually pretty cool. Your jacket is one of a kind.

Tunaygur

New in Town
Thanks for chiming in everyone, wanted to close the loop here. I also asked the question in Schott forum. The final verdict is that this is a genuine Schott that never made it to the sales floor (which explains the lack of pocket bill) and sold directly in factory sale. Perhaps they were experimenting with something new. So it's not a return. I like that it's shiny and the fit is great so it's a keeper :) Hope the leather grows on me

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Jerri is the person to speak to there for customer service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner