Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! What Sherry in 50's - 60's England?

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Can anyone please tell me what brand (or type) of Sherry would have been served in England during the 50's and 60's?

In movies and TV shows the Sherry is served from a cut glass bottle, so ther is no label to be seen.

Thank you,

John

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
It probably depends a lot on context; in an ordinary suburban setting or a pub, Sandeman's springs to mind as a possibility or possibly Harvey's Bristol Cream, which I believe has been around for donkey's years. In a more elevated setting such as Grosvenor Square or a country mansion or London club, I'm not sure. They might import direct from solera from one of the great sherry houses, I suppose, or possibly a well-known vintners such as Berry Bros and Rudd?

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys.

Yes I was thinking upscale. I have tried HBC and wanted to compare it to something the London Club members might drink. The Sterling Silver biscuit container I'll try to live without - for now.

John

Peter_E

Familiar Face
As someone who was around in the UK in the 50s and 60s and whose Grand-dad ran a pub, I can tell you that by far the most popular sherry was Bristol Cream. There was also Bristol Milk (not many people know that). Check out http://harveyshalfhour.co.uk/heritage

I think sherry was always seen as a ladies drink, so in a Gentlemen's club it would not have been that popular, I think. Of course, in such establishments, a Gentleman would have the club keep his favorite brand of whatever, and the staff would know him and his drink of choice. So, it could have been anything. It's always decanted, as is good wine. Pretty gauche to serve it out of the bottle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko