Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Aeroleather D-1 jacket.

Bunce

New in Town
Hi There, my name is Bunce and I live in Australia. I am relatively new to leather jackets as I only have one. I have done my own beeswax treatment on a pointer brand duck jacket. I have a neat collection of Japanese selvage denim including a denim jacket from Samurai.

Today I am reaching out to get a full understanding of how to order a jacket online from Aeroleather. I wish to purchase a D-1 ( https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/usaaf/usaaf-type-d-1/military018 ) and was wondering about a few things in terms of what’s possible for customisation.

Some of the answers to these questions may leave other questions redundant, and I understand that answering one may have a cascade affect on the others, but I’d like the be thorough.

Firstly this is a shearling jacket. So I was wondering about leather choices and does that limit my choice. I’d really like the the outer leather to be vegetable tan leather and allow it to darken with careful application of neatsfoot oil and sun. Is it possible for them to make the outer with vegetable tan leather?

Second to the first question, is the shearling leather part of the wool? Or is it possible to have this type of jacket made with horse hide?

If the leather options are limited to the black and redskin options, how does the redskin age? I am really hoping for a dark brown jacket with interesting honeycomb highlights.

In the customisation page there are a few options for trim, and while I can make out it has something to do with the stitching I really don’t know what I’m looking at. I’ll include a photo. Can someone let me know what to make of this?

Since it is a shearling jacket, with tall wool inside, should I be aiming for the same jacket size I’m used to wearing? Or should I allow for more room to account for the wool? Do you typically go up a size?

Also if I were to account for a pull over jumper to be worn under the jacket, do I account for that in the sizing or do aero help you with that?

Many thanks in advance

Bunce.

Attachments

• IMG_6270.png
    IMG_6270.png
    4 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6277.png
    IMG_6277.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 83

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The outer shell of a D-1 is simply the treated and coated skin that's attached to the shearling, it's not something you can treat like horsehide. The only horsehide you'll get are the tapes on the shoulder seams, pockets etc.
If you want a shearling-lined horsehide jacket, then you'd need to look the Thunderbay. I don't what the weather is like where you live in Oz, but the combo of sheepskin and heavy leather mean it's a serious cold weather, not something you could just chuck on if it's a bit chilly out.
I own a red skin D-1 and it's my go-to for when the temperature drops into single figures. I usually rotate it with my Irvin, but the D-1 tends to get more wear purely because it has pockets, it's a bit longer and can be just thrown on a moment's notice.
It hasn't really darkened with age, just creased slightly, as you'd expect with a lot of wear, and the fleece yellowed nicely. As regards sizing, I just went with my normal 36 and it's a good fit with enough space for a jumper under it. Unlike Irvins, I don't think this particular jacket suits upsizing. I wear a 38 in my Irivin and it has a cool slouch that you see in a lot of period photos, which is also perfect for wearing a thick jumper.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^^
Exactly this.
I also have D-1 and Irvin in my regular size.
I had a horse hide jacket lined with shearling. It was nice, but impractical and uncomfortable and without batting an eye, I'll take the classic shearling instead of the fur lined HH.
If you're fixated on aero, I guess you only have a choice between the two colors seal and redskin. Customize can be in the military jackets of Aero only the dimensions, but not details.

Edward

Bartender
The D1 was originally a jacket for USAAF groundcrew. The legend goes that pilots in singe-seater fighter planes with their cramped cockpits started trading them for their bulkier B3s to save space; the B6 was a redesign of the simpler D1 jacket, tweaked especially for pilots. I like both. They have different attributes - the B6 can fit a little trimmer, though the zipped pockets of the D1 are very handy (if not concerned about being true to spec, I'm sure it's possible to add zipped pockets to the B6 at a small upcharge - worth asking).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
One of the big recommendations of the D-1 is its relative light weight. I owned an Aero ANJ-4 and it was work of art: goatskin front panels, elbow patches and cuffs; thick shearling, and great wind proofing. But it was a heavy beast and only really wearable in the depths of winter. I traded mine in for a D-1, and while I loved having the ANJ as work of art in its own right, I just couldn't justify having something that I was only wearing three or so months a year. The D-1 gets broken out October and will stay in rotation until April!

Bunce

New in Town
Thankyou all! I think the D-1 redskin will be the go. A question about the seam seals, can they be done in VT? Also please help me understand the trim options, what am I looking at here, and what’s the extra charge for?

Bunce.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I got mine off the peg, it was a return that had been customised with russet vicenza russet tapes and had the pocket zips removed, so I doubt any special requests would be a problem. Losing the zips was a neat move, as it means they don't scrape at your hands in cold weather. I don't think there is much more than the tapes and zippers to customise, though. The simplicity of the jacket is it's selling point. I've had complete strangers compliment it.

Bunce

New in Town
What I don’t understand is that if the shearling comes attached to the original lamb leather, why then do they offer horse hide in the options? I’m guessing it’s the strips of leather that cover the stitching? @Sloan1874 do you mind showing off your D-1?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What I don’t understand is that if the shearling comes attached to the original lamb leather, why then do they offer horse hide in the options? I’m guessing it’s the strips of leather that cover the stitching? @Sloan1874 do you mind showing off your D-1?

Sheepskin, not lambskin (they feel different) and yes the horse/goat/cow/etc are options for the reinforcements, because sheepskin is a relatively fragile material.

CombatWombat

Familiar Face
Thankyou all! I think the D-1 redskin will be the go. A question about the seam seals, can they be done in VT? Also please help me understand the trim options, what am I looking at here, and what’s the extra charge for?

Bunce.
Mate you're in Queensland..... this thing will be WAAAAAY too much insulation up there since you guys never have winter..... just a uncomfortable humid Spring

CombatWombat

Familiar Face
In Melbourne
Oh I thought you were the Brisbane bloke.......still shearling lining is unfortunately not that practical in Australia due to the combination of higher temperatures and the obnoxious humidity we catch off the coast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner