Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with broken zip?

Nine

New in Town
The metal zip on my favourite 50's dress has broken, the teeth have come apart from the main zip pull. Does anyone know what would be best to fix it? I don't really want to lose the original zip, but the only thing I can think of is replacing the zip.

Basically, can I find original zips any where to replace with, or would a moder one be acceptable?

Thanks

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Do you know how to replace it? If not then Id take it to a seamstress. You can find metal zippers online fairly easy. How did it brake? Are the teeth too small? Is the dress tight? You might want a zipper with larger teeth for the new one to compensate for added strain if any of the above variables are in play.

LD

Nine

New in Town
Thanks for your help, Lady Day. I know how to replace a zip, I was just wary as the dress might be a bit fragile, being so old. I'm not actually sure how it broke, it might have got pulled or something, but it just came apart. Thanks for the tip on larger teeth, that's something I'm going to try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy