Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Duxbak hunting jacket

rusticstuff

New in Town
Good afternoon,

I got lucky over the weekend and found a vintage Duxbak at a local garage sale. Despite the water stains and a repair on the back, it is in pretty great shape. I love the VL & A tag on the inside. For those who don't know, the VL&A was a Chicago retail store in Chicago that competed with Abercrombie & Fitch, and also had ties with the mafia, pretty cool.

My main question is, what is the date on this jacket? Looking at the thread here, the labels on the inside and button would surmise it is from the late teens, early 20s... except someone told me it had to be from the 1940s, because clothing didn't have size tags until starting around 1942. Can someone who knows a bit about Duxbak let me know the date on this one?

Also, I'd like to lighten some of the stains on the jacket and remove the musty canvas smell from it. Would a solution of 50/50 Distilled White Vinegar/Water and sun exposure work? Thanks!

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I would try that car interior "dry cleaning" foam product and rub it with wet wipes or cotton pads, but I will spray it on the pad or on the wipe and not spraying it on the clothes. natural cleaning remedy would be sprinkle baking soda over the dirty spots and then mist vinegar over it to produce foam to lift the stain and wipe it off with wet wipes

Pat1892

New in Town
Hi, Duxbak started in 1904, and the phrase "Exclusively for Sport" was used by VL&A between 1915-1929; at that point VL&A switched to the phrase "Just for Sport" on their tags. I would estimate the jacket was probably purchased in the 1915-1925 era, as Duxbak only used single loom tags then. Also, VL&A mirrored the A&F tags since they were purchased by them in 1928, and this is not an A&F tag. Also note, this was the most common of Duxbak jackets, which they made into the 1970's. Hope this helps, sorry for the late reply

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner