Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with G-1 provenance

Metatron

One Too Many
Greetings guys, I haven't been around these parts for some time, but picked up this G-1 and knew this would be the best place to ask:

ruWULqP.jpg

BkREqOM.jpg

Zj2z7cD.jpg

v05oXmu.jpg

bkSwOU1.jpg

8IPRFuC.jpg

Is this an original USN issued? My gut tells me yes. But the zipper is a design I have not seen on G-1s in my online research.

eQJlb6X.jpg

The faded stencil on the back which I was only able to read from the photograph says ''VP-30'' so assuming it is authentic it was used by a maritime patrol unit. Such a unit is not the most glorious aviation post imaginable so I doubt it was added for faux military civilian fashion.

Finally, somebody's mum knitted these replacement cuffs. Charming or fugly? o_O
RgQQsrL.jpg

thor

One Too Many
Early 1970’s Star Sportswear military issue G-1. Looks like it is still made of goatskin, not that grain-embossed cowhide leather.
Cuffs are totally “fugly” but good quality replacement knits are readily available on eBay and elsewhere.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Good call, Thor.

Nice jacket Metatron! [emoji1303]

But I knew some P-3 guys who you wouldn’t want to be in a dark bar with when you said that about the Patrol community. [emoji6]

Trolling around in the goo at 100ft with one engine shutdown looking for subs is not for the faint of heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metatron

One Too Many
Good call, Thor.

Nice jacket Metatron! [emoji1303]

But I knew some P-3 guys who you wouldn’t want to be in a dark bar with when you said that about the Patrol community. [emoji6]

Trolling around in the goo at 100ft with one engine shutdown looking for subs is not for the faint of heart.

Thanks. Ha! I know you added my emoji but I should clarify: Not the most glamorous post as far as the civilian fashion intepretation of military clothing goes, but I am jealous of anyone with a flying licence, whether it is an F-35 or a Cessna pilot. And I should be so lucky to fly in a P-3.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks. Ha! I know you added my emoji but I should clarify: Not the most glamorous post as far as the civilian fashion intepretation of military clothing goes, but I am jealous of anyone with a flying licence, whether it is an F-35 or a Cessna pilot. And I should be so lucky to fly in a P-3.

Ha, I’m totally kidding as well. All in good fun and again, great jacket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112