Help with G-1 provenance

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Metatron, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

Greetings guys, I haven't been around these parts for some time, but picked up this G-1 and knew this would be the best place to ask:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this an original USN issued? My gut tells me yes. But the zipper is a design I have not seen on G-1s in my online research.

[​IMG]
    The faded stencil on the back which I was only able to read from the photograph says ''VP-30'' so assuming it is authentic it was used by a maritime patrol unit. Such a unit is not the most glorious aviation post imaginable so I doubt it was added for faux military civilian fashion.

Finally, somebody's mum knitted these replacement cuffs. Charming or fugly? o_O
    [​IMG]

bn1966 and Boyo like this.
  2. thor

thor One Too Many

Early 1970’s Star Sportswear military issue G-1. Looks like it is still made of goatskin, not that grain-embossed cowhide leather.
    Cuffs are totally “fugly” but good quality replacement knits are readily available on eBay and elsewhere.

bn1966, Boyo, El Marro and 1 other person like this.
  3. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Excellent call, Captain. I knew it was issued, and probably late 60s to early 70s, but didn't know the Star part.

thor, bn1966 and Boyo like this.
  4. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

thor likes this.
  5. Deacon211

Deacon211 Practically Family

Good call, Thor.

Nice jacket Metatron! [emoji1303]

But I knew some P-3 guys who you wouldn’t want to be in a dark bar with when you said that about the Patrol community. [emoji6]

Trolling around in the goo at 100ft with one engine shutdown looking for subs is not for the faint of heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thor, Peacoat and El Marro like this.
  6. thor

thor One Too Many

Metatron likes this.
  7. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

Thanks. Ha! I know you added my emoji but I should clarify: Not the most glamorous post as far as the civilian fashion intepretation of military clothing goes, but I am jealous of anyone with a flying licence, whether it is an F-35 or a Cessna pilot. And I should be so lucky to fly in a P-3.

Deacon211 and thor like this.
  8. Deacon211

Deacon211 Practically Family

Ha, I’m totally kidding as well. All in good fun and again, great jacket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk