Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with garter belts for a first timer!

crystalface

One of the Regulars
So yes... as it seems, garters are tricky buggers, and I got the front done okay, but I'm having lots of trouble with the back.
*sigh*
I really want to wear my stockings. :(

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Well you can't bend over and hope to fasten the garters in the back. It just won't happen. Stand up as straight as possible and twist.

If there is a way to lengthen the garters in the back that would help.

It also could be that you need longer hose.

I've found that metal garters are easier to fasten than cheapo plastic ones.

Hope this helps.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I asked the lady at the nordy's counter and she hadn't really heard about metal clasps on garters. i checked to see if mine were metal but, alas, they were not.
so i got them anyway, just for the nessescity.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Garter tips

Also, if you put the back garters on first, its a lot easier. And my hubby says he heard somewhere that this is important to do when putting on seamed stockings. Hooking up the back garter on the seam first is supposed to help keep the garters from twisting. I've found that it is easier to put garters on using the "back ones first" method.

Rago makes some well-made garter belts that use metal clips. I have several Rago garter belts that have a little bit of tummy support in them--I just love them. They're a lot more comfortable (and durable) than the cutesie ones you sometimes see in stores.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Sadly, I have yet to see a quality garter belt in a department store. They're all sold with plastic garter tabs these days. If you're looking for a good quality belt, i.e. one with metal clasps, I would suggest three sites:

http://www.frish.com - The internet presence of a store in the Bronx, this entire site is full of high quality, classic lingerie. I especially like that they sell cotton full slips. They also seem willing to make alterations on anything, though I can't comment on that from personal experience.

http://www.shopnational.com - Among the cheapest places to buy plain stockings in quantity; also sells garter belts and girdles with metal clasps.

http://www.stockingshq.com - HUGE selection of stockings, good selection of garter belts. They are based in England, but I've found the shipping very fast and the customer service amazing.

The few times I've tried to buy stockings in a store the saleslady will look at me oddly and say something like, "You do know these aren't regular pantyhose, don't you?" I mainly stick to buying online for that reason.

Good luck,

Polka Dot

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've been wearing garters for years, and I still have trouble doing the back ones -- so don't lose heart! It helps to be able to twist around as much as you can, as Tourbillion says, so the more limber you are the better.

I can second the recommendation for Frishman's -- I've gotten very good service from them, and they sell really nice, quality garments.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
another website

Google...Crepe-Suzette. Its where I've gotten my Rago garter belts and I've also purchased stockings here. Their prices are pretty reasonable and after your first purchase they'll give you free shipping on your next order if you buy again the next month. Their service is excellent and fast.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I tried the twisting thing last night, with the backs first, and it worked out pretty well :eusa_clap

I will definately have to buy some metal clasped ones next payday!

Thanks for all your help!!!! :D

I got my stockings at V.S. and the sales women seemed confused.. Sort of. Because I was asking them about garters as well, but they just kind of looked at me sideways. It was weird. [huh] (P.S. They were $5.12 including tax! :eek: )

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
A little trick I figured out on my own:

After you've gotten the hang of where on the top of the stocking you should attach the garter clasp (I think it's slightly different for each woman), try attaching the clasps before you put on either belt or stockings, carefully pull the stockings on as you would pantyhose, then hook the garter belt closed.

I've found this method to be extremely helpful if I attach the stockings to the garter belt when I'm laying my clothes out a while before getting dressed...I don't feel so rushed and end up tearing a stocking.

--Leslie

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I put on my stockings while sitting down, attach the front grips, then stand and readjust the seams as necessary before turning round to attach the back grips. It takes a bit of getting used to at first, but after a while it becomes second nature. Now the only garments that give me any trouble are girdles with a short third grip positioned directly at the back :)

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Who knew that one had to be a contortionist (almost) to hook garters to stockings :eusa_doh:
I put them on this morning without much trouble... Well the twisting was a bit exasperating after a while, but I guess pain is beauty. I actually hooked the right leg fairly easily in the back, and for the left leg, I ended up putting my hands in between my legs to hook the left one. It worked pretty well, alot better than twisting. Strange that the right one was so effortless... Maybe I am more flexible on my right side?

Rosie

One Too Many
I pull the back garters so that they are extended then sit on the couch that way, I am sitting on the back garters then, I attach them to the back of my stockings. Hope that makes sense, then of course, I attach the fronts as I normally would.

Elaina

One Too Many
Another thing at department stores: the older the client?®le the less you get looked at askance.

I bought a pair in Irving and the sales lady was weird about it. I'll be nice and not repeat the conversation, but I was told that they didn't carry them and to go to Fredrick's (uh, hello?! I bought them here 2 weeks ago). Usually I hit a store where older women shop and I don't have that problem.

Slips are something else entirely. I wound up making my own, and I have a purple Hello Kitty full slip, a pink Strawberry Shortcake half, and a Darth Vader Full. (You know, coloreds, whites and darks). I gave up on them years ago when I asked for one and the girl told me that's what they put signs out on the floor for, so you wouldn't slip.

Rosie

One Too Many
Elaina said:
Slips are something else entirely. I wound up making my own, and I have a purple Hello Kitty full slip, a pink Strawberry Shortcake half, and a Darth Vader Full. (You know, coloreds, whites and darks). I gave up on them years ago when I asked for one and the girl told me that's what they put signs out on the floor for, so you wouldn't slip.

lol My sil and I were talking about this the other day. How we have to buy a slip online because stores no longer seem to carry them. My nieces wear slips, my youngest niece went to the rest room with a classmate, she says the little girl asked her why was she wearing a dress under her school uniform, my niece told her, it's not a dress, it's a slip. The little girl still didn't understand so my niece tells her, it's kind of like underwear. The little girl tells her, I've never seen panties like that before. lol

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I buy all my slips at thrift stores. There are always slips for $1-$4 and they are almost always vintage. Just give them a good washing and they're perfect! I like to dye them to match my outfits if I have the time.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Rosie said:
lol My sil and I were talking about this the other day. How we have to buy a slip online because stores no longer seem to carry them. My nieces wear slips, my youngest niece went to the rest room with a classmate, she says the little girl asked her why was she wearing a dress under her school uniform, my niece told her, it's not a dress, it's a slip. The little girl still didn't understand so my niece tells her, it's kind of like underwear. The little girl tells her, I've never seen panties like that before. lol
Awe kiddies are so cute/hilarious! :D

I want to get some slips, and I never had and it never really occured to me that they weren't carried in "normal" stores.

I just was reminded of the scene in Psycho (the original) where she's changing and she's wearing her bra and half slip. o_O So gorgeous!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points