Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, but the hat looks tall like a Pilgrim Fedora. It seems to be a taller fit, and the brim would just be whatever default is on a fedora like this. Nothing special there. In fact, I wouldn't want it any larger than normal.
Thanks for the heads up about Heard - I've had all calls sent straight to voicemail, hahaha

EDIT: Double stitched - I just meant the square part in the middle of the bow has a "doubled" effect, like it's folded over on itself. I've only seen this on Pilgrim Fedoras in my searches, but I'm so new to Fedoras, that they could be on other makes/manufacturers' hats, but I wouldn't know yet.

Pilgrim is/was a brand and not a style of fedora. The pilgrim brand made hats in all sorts of dimensions.

A tall straight crown was a common characteristic of hats of a certain era. You really need to know what you’re looking/asking for before anyone can help. Is a 5 5/8” open crown sufficient or do you want a 6” crown? Is the brim 2 5/8”, 2 1/2” or is it 2 3/8” wide? If you want an approximation in your size that’s one thing, but if you insist on an exact replica you need to give us (or your hatter) more.

ibaOne

New in Town
I've seen that link, but I was looking for other options before I went ahead w/ this. The material is just *slighly* different, and I definitely don't want the added wear. I might be able to choose NOT to add the wear, since it's customizable; I haven't yet looked b/c again, I was searching for other options, and wasn't quite sure of the design of the hat. I recently came to find that Pilgrim looks closest imo.

I'm starting to learn that there is a color shift. I thought this was beige, then bone, then ecru, I've been looking all over. If I could just find this one (below) in my size, I'd be super happy. It's Pilgrim. It's the closest thing I could find to JD's and it's like 99%, but it's only 7 1/4... Although, this one doesn't appear to be as tall as his. But the look is spot on to me, aside from the wind cord.

View attachment 440665

Pilgrim was the house brand for Sears, and in my experience are not very impressive felts. Nothing in Mr. Depp's hat suggests it is a particular brand.

As for the dimensions, that's the thing. There is no "standard" brim width. Mr. Depp's appears to be ~2 1/2" plus or minus. Many folks on this site will stress over 1/4" of brim width for the "perfect" look for them. I'd guess the open crown on his is somewhere between 5 1/4" and 5 1/2".

If you are a 7 5/8, and presumably a somewhat larger fellow, the exact dimensions of the pictured hat may not give you the look you want, either. Mr. Depp is 5' 10". If you are 6'+, you may need a wider brim to look "right."

ibaOne

New in Town
Pilgrim is/was a brand and not a style of fedora. The pilgrim brand made hats in all sorts of dimensions.

A tall straight crown was a common characteristic of hats of a certain era. You really need to know what you’re looking/asking for before anyone can help. Is a 5 5/8” open crown sufficient or do you want a 6” crown? Is the brim 2 5/8”, 2 1/2” or is it 2 3/8” wide? If you want an approximation in your size that’s one thing, but if you insist on an exact replica you need to give us (or your hatter) more.
Aw dang, I didn't know hats could change that much based on size. I'm really not sure about all the details, maybe I'll have to look more into it.

I'm starting to learn that there is a color shift. I thought this was beige, then bone, then ecru, I've been looking all over. If I could just find this one (below) in my size, I'd be super happy. It's Pilgrim. It's the closest thing I could find to JD's and it's like 99%, but it's only 7 1/4... Although, this one doesn't appear to be as tall as his. But the look is spot on to me, aside from the wind cord.

View attachment 440665

And this color presents very different on my phone than the color of Mr. Depp’s hat.

Within limits, you can change the crown height by creasing it differently.

ibaOne

New in Town
Pilgrim was the house brand for Sears, and in my experience are not very impressive felts. Nothing in Mr. Depp's hat suggests it is a particular brand.

As for the dimensions, that's the thing. There is no "standard" brim width Mr. Depp's appears to be ~2 1/2" plus or minus. Many folks on this site will stress over 1/4" of brim width for the "perfect" look for them. I'd guess the open crown on his is somewhere between 5 1/4" and 5 1/2".

If you are a 7 5/8, and presumably a somewhat larger fellow, the exact dimensions of the pictured hat may not give you the look you want, either. Mr. Depp is 5' 10". If you are 6'+, you may need a wider brim to look "right."
I'm 5'11'', average weight, rugged build.

I'm like 5'11'', average weight, ruggid build.

I'm 6' and 250# on a fairly large frame. My brim "sweet spot" is 2 5/8". If I was riding the range, it would likely be 3"+. Before diving in too deep, see if you can try on a few hats of different styles to get an idea how they look on you, then you may know the dimensions you may be looking for.

Does "rugged build" mean hairy?
(ducks, runs out of thread)

ibaOne

New in Town
I'm 6' and 250# on a fairly large frame. My brim "sweet spot" is 2 5/8". If I was riding the range, it would likely be 3"+. Before diving in too deep, see if you can try on a few hats of different styles to get an idea how they look on you, then you may know the dimensions you may be looking for.

Does "rugged build" mean hairy?
(ducks, runs out of thread)
"Rugged" means you could punch me, and you'd probably hurt your hand more than you'd hurt me. At least a body shot. Face shot would hurt no matter what, haha. Yeah, that's a good idea, to try some hats on before I just buy one. Only problem I've been faced with is, there's no real hat stores near me. I'll keep looking tho, thanks for the replies.

Who?

Practically Family
Anytime I see anyone say they want an EXACT duplicate of an item whose appearance will vary with lighting and with who is looking at it, I don’t think they will find it.

You are talking about a thing subject to variations in shape, color, surface texture, reflectivity, and probably a few properties I haven’t thought of.

Presenting a photograph just introduces even more variables of color reproduction and matching, I also doubt that everyone who views that photo will see the same color, or that any two photos from different camera will necessarily agree.

I could probably go on, but that’s enough.

In summary ….. good luck.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I am looking for the EXACT same thing, down to the color. I'm referring to the exact 1.5" grosgain, the height of the hat, and the bound edge. I noticed the double stitch on the bow, and thought that meant it was a Pilgrim Fedora, but not sure!

Any help is appreciated! If you'd like to see better pics of the hat, you can just search "Johny Depp fedora" and a large number of pics come up of this hat.

My hat size is normally 7 5/8, but wondering how much these hats stretch over time. Would take new or used, don't care about that part, just as long as the hat is exact! Note: I've already found those ones on amazon, the custom ones for $400, not really interested in spending that much on a hat!

Also, what's that thing on the side - looks like a button and a line of material following the grosgrain banding. I think it's called a "windmill" or something. What's its purpose?

View attachment 440635
Looks like a vintage old beat up Stetson Whippet to me.

ibaOne

New in Town
Anytime I see anyone say they want an EXACT duplicate of an item whose appearance will vary with lighting and with who is looking at it, I don’t think they will find it.

You are talking about a thing subject to variations in shape, color, surface texture, reflectivity, and probably a few properties I haven’t thought of.

Presenting a photograph just introduces even more variables of color reproduction and matching, I also doubt that everyone who views that photo will see the same color, or that any two photos from different camera will necessarily agree.

I could probably go on, but that’s enough.

In summary ….. good luck.
You're right, the color has looked different to me in diff pics. Looks beige, looks silver/gold, etc.

pacolizarraga

Familiar Face
Hi Guys, could you please help me to identify this hat, is this beaver ?

I can see this is from Spain? any information about this hat?

Thanks

Attachments

• hat1.jpg
    hat1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • ha21.jpg
    ha21.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • hat3.jpg
    hat3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • hat4.jpg
    hat4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • hat5.jpg
    hat5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • hat6.jpg
    hat6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:

ibaOne

New in Town
Depp seems to have a penchant for Borsalino, or at least everyone has assumed his other thin ribbon hat is an Alessandria. If it was a Borsalino, the color may have been "Opale." Here's kind of the 'little brother' of Depp's hat.

Woww, Borsalino are incredibly expensive.
Why do you say it's the little brother? It looks exact, I would love to have this hat!

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Woww, Borsalino are incredibly expensive.
Why do you say it's the little brother? It looks exact, I would love to have this hat!

Yes, vintage Borsos from the original factory are coveted hats. Borsalino seems to have kept the quality up a bit longer than the American brands, and they made many very wearable styles.

Obviously I haven't measured Depp's hat, but my guess is his is both taller, and has a slightly wider brim. The brim binding on mine also looks narrower.

Yes, vintage Borsos from the original factory are coveted hats. Borsalino seems to have kept the quality up a bit longer than the American brands, and they made many very wearable styles.

Obviously I haven't measured Depp's hat, but my guess is his is both taller, and has a slightly wider brim. The brim binding on mine also looks narrower.

I think yours looks so much better too, Jared.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
The hat in question doesn't have that tall a crown, probably the upward angle of the photo made it look taller. Side view of the hat below.

1659075729887.png

And a few full frontals...

1659076747482.png

1659076916681.png

And sadly, time has taken it's toll on both Johnny & the hat.....

1659077314553.png

ibaOne

New in Town

You're a lucky man. How long did it take you to find that hat, and do you mind sharing how much you paid? I'm imagining I'm going to be searching for this for a long time.

ibaOne

New in Town
The hat in question doesn't have that tall a crown, probably the upward angle of the photo made it look taller. Side view of the hat below.

View attachment 441247

And a few full frontals...

View attachment 441249

View attachment 441250

And sadly, time has taken it's toll on both Johnny & the hat.....

View attachment 441252
It's like the sickest hat I've ever seen, and it's simply b/c of the color. It goes w/ anything, and it's not straight white - It's got these gold/silver hues, depending on the reflecting light. I NEED.

lean'n'mean suggested this, which looks very close:
1659106263273.png

from Amazon. Although, it doesn't really look like the same coloration, I don't think. But since I have a 7 5/8 head, and I can custom order this, does anyone think I would regret it? I mean, Italians make really high quality stuff. But honestly, it just doesn't look like Jared's hat, the one he showed to me.

EDIT: I found this last night, and it's VERY close imo. The only thing it's missing is the correct grosgrain size. Is it worth over $1,000 tho? That's what it's listed as.
Vintage Mallory, Snap Brim Fedora

1659108152453.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto