Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
This ebay auction is now closed, so I don't think this violates the No Live Auction Rule. Bartenders, if I'm wrong, please accept my apologies.

I saw this hat on eBay and watched it until it closed. I know it's a Stetson fedora. Does it have a more precise model name than that? It's not an Open Road (I don't think). It's not a Whippet. I didn't see Stratoliner in the sweatband. Is it really called a Silver Belly, or is that just the color? So what is it? Any ideas as to its age? Did anyone here win this beauty?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360081633278

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Silver Belly is color, not the model. The block loks similar to the Moose River, but between the ribbon and the fact that it is listed as "beaver blend" I doubt that it is actually that. It is not an OR or a Strat, for sure. I'd say it was made within the last 5-10 years.

gepreston

New in Town
If you read the add for the moose river hat in the LLB catalog it speaks of the current hats being blocked on the "Original" Moose river hat blocks. I assume that, at some time in the past, LLB offered the hat, then discontinued it, and now offeres it again. I've been looking at this hat for awhile in the LLB catalog but have not picked one up yet. Anyone have one? The blocking also strongly resembles the block of the Three Forks hat sold by Cabela's. My dad has that hat in a moss color and it’s quite nice. However, they changed the band last fall and it is now more “western”. But is important to note that both hats are offered in silver belly and in that color the band is more like the one found on an open road. The LLB offering is also unlined.

luke

New in Town
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the world of hats but I have been doing a bit of research recently as one does when considering a new purchase....

Any help would bee much appreciated!

Without boring you too much, has anyone got any info on this style of hat (the guy on the right) - ie era, shape, etc....

01194-Sugar-cane-workers--vicinity-of-Rio-Piedras--Puerto-Rico.jpg

I guess it's kind of more of a trilby than a fedora - late 30s style? I quite like the way the front of the crown seems to be more prominent. Has it got a particular name for it?

I've seen some that look similar on sale from Pachacuti in Ecuador which look real nice, but I'm waiting to hear back if they've got any in brown (which I'm after).

114d.jpg

Cheers,

luke

Last edited by a moderator:

RBH

Bartender
Greetings Luke, I would say its afedora with a mid size ribbon.
Like a vintage Stetson Playboy, with around a 2 1\2 inch brim.
Any hat with a decent crown height can be creased like the hat pictured.

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Greetings Luke, I would say its afedora with a mid size ribbon.
Like a vintage Stetson Playboy, with around a 2 1\2 inch brim.
Any hat with a decent crown height can be creased like the hat pictured.

I agree that it's a fedora. But the picture isn't good enough to suggest that it's a Stetson Playboy (or something like it). It could be any one of dozens of fedoras made by dozens of companies during the period in question.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I always say that a trilby has a thinner brim and curls up at the back. The fedora has a wider, slightly floppier brim with less of (or no) backwards curl/lip.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
The hat worn by the guy in the middle is of more interest to me. Looks similar to a couple of Alan's recent acquisitions, only with a bit more "exposure," like the fellow's right hand. :)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
In the second shot, the hat seems to have nearly as much rake as the Fedora Lounge Logo man's hat! In the first shot, unless the fact it's tilted back changes the view, I'd think it's a bit shorter brim than a 2 1/2"; maybe a 2 1/4"?

luke

New in Town
Wow - thanks guys!

I didn't expect there to be this many replies when I checked here after getting home from work!

When you say that a hat with a decent crown height can be creased like that, what is a decent crown height? And I guess it would need to be fairly flexible too, because I've got a couple of hats at home which seem to have quite solid / moulded crowns.

And I'm guessing there would need to be an average amount of "snap" (?) all round the brim too to be able to turn up and down at the back and front? (I quite like them up at the front).

Have checked Bates, Lairds and Top Secret Hats - Bates and Lairds are a bit out of my budget, but TSH is perhaps do-able. Was thinking of a top price of about £50 to be honest.

Thanks guys - I just think his hat looks pretty cool!

luke

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
When you say that a hat with a decent crown height can be creased like that, what is a decent crown height? . . .

Thanks guys - I just think his hat looks pretty cool!

luke
Folks here at FL tend to like the higher, 1930s-style crowns -- 5 1/2" or more before you put the crease in. With more hat material to work with, you can do deeper and more kinds of creases, and leave it tall or make it lower.

Yes, the hat looks very natural -- the kind of thing working men wore in those days, not as a fashion statement, but to shade their heads and faces. I too like its proportions.

luke

New in Town
Hi, thanks - I've just been looking at open crown hats just now. Didn't even know about them until about an hour ago but they sound great in a way, in that you can create your own shapes and will look more natural.

Ok, if anyone's still with me then here's two hats I've been checking out:

1 - Christys Chepstow - seems good, within my price range, good brim size but I don't know how flexible it is (I think I've read that it's soft but I don't think its an open crown).

2 - Christys Adventurer - open crown, tall (too tall?), i like the colours, brim a bit too wide tho (think I prefer between 2"-2 1/4" - could cut it...?).

I think I like those 30s style crowns too.

Any more opinions?

Cheers guys ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot