Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Both I guess model number ? Some hats I have does not show up on a search of the internet or Stetson web site

I’m still not getting exactly what you’re looking for.

For most of the hats Stetson made we cannot determine the original model name. We can compare specifications to vintage catalogs and see if we can match them up, but it’s not by using the numbers on the re-order tags or other factory labels. Those numbers usually tell us the size and sometimes the block, but the other numbers were used for Stetson’s internal purposes and I’ve never seen a decoder for what they mean. A minority of Stetson’s hats had/have their model on the sweatband or the liner, but otherwise it’s just a matter of matching up clues. Often we can’t positively identify models.

You might try adding photos to show us what you’re trying to identify. Photos are always your best chance at getting good information.

Don’t be surprised if a bartender (moderator) merges this thread with an existing thread such as:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/help-with-or-identify-a-hat-please.62452/page-10

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge.

Can you post a pic of what you are looking for?If you are asking about numbers stamped on the leather that say “Lot No ..” there is a thread for them; they appear to be markers generally associated with pre-WWII decades.

If you mean the reorder numbers, for pre-60s hats they will be the same as the orange tag stamped to the felt at the back of the hat. To my knowledge no one has “decoded” these, if there ever was a code involved.

If you are referring to post-50s hats, someone else might know a little bit about them.

Certainly post a pic and we’ll try to help.

Daniel

Yes those code numbers in the sweatband . I have have a few and some there isn't any thanks

Cranston Davenport

New in Town
We have a black fedora that has been in storage for years, it belonged to my wife’s grandfather who was from Sicily. We are curious to what year it is and maybe the value. If you have any insights we would appreciate it! Thanks
941D65F8-8E9A-4C9A-8D9F-449D6F310E9E.jpeg
399608AA-1DE2-4353-9E4F-52C584693853.jpeg
057712C3-01E1-40F2-B4B8-2C99B337AA61.jpeg

We have a black fedora that has been in storage for years, it belonged to my wife’s grandfather who was from Sicily. We are curious to what year it is and maybe the value. If you have any insights we would appreciate it! Thanks View attachment 391967 View attachment 391968 View attachment 391969

It's old. The sweatband, liner and the hat's style are indicators of this. As to how old, likely impossible to put an exact date on it but there are other indicators that may help. If the sweatband is supple enough to be turned over w/o damage, look for a lot number on the sweat on the backside in the front of the hat. In the rear, affixed to the hat body may be mfg. stickers which help to date hats. If you're concerned about the sweat, a small mirror can aid you in looking. As to value, there are many variables there as well. Many people here compete against each other in the vintage hat market and some are reluctant to place a value on a hat. Size is one of the more important things as larger sizes are more rare in a vintage hat.

Last edited:

Cranston Davenport

New in Town
It's old. The sweatband, liner and the hat's style are indicators of this. As to how old, likely impossible to put an exact date on it but there are other indicators that may help. If the sweatband is supple enough to be turned over w/o damage, look for a lot number on the sweat on the backside in the front of the hat. In the rear, affixed to the hat body may be mfg. stickers which help to date hats. If you're concerned about the sweat, a small mirror can aid you in looking. As to value, there are many variables there as well. Many people here compete against each other in the vintage hat market and some are reluctant to place a value on a hat. Size is one of the more important things as larger sizes are more rare in vintage hat.
I think it is a 7

TedTheChilehead

New in Town
Ran across an interesting fedora. I've not seen this logo before. Does anyone have a clue as to what hat maker it might be?

s820714386311372160_p5790_i3_w3024.jpeg

I thought it was an Indiana Jones. Not sure though because the logo looks different than other Indiana Jones hats I've seen.

Thank you

Ted the Chilehead

Last edited:
For the most accurate information, it would be useful to have photos of any/all markings on the leather sweatband and photos of any of the labels on the felt behind the sweatband. If the leather is still supple you can flip it down, but don’t do anything that damages the leather. Go slow and be gentle and stop if the leather isn’t up to that much flexing. Looking forward to seeing additional photos.

Cranston Davenport

New in Town
I found this in the inside, btw thanks for the response
This is merely a guess but your hat 'looks' 20's-30's to me. When you're able to provide more info, others will likely weigh in as to the hats age. Size 7 might hurt the initial $ assessment, but all it takes is two who really want that hat. The liner is rare.
Thanks

Attachments

• E8333B3E-218B-4F3D-B1D6-FFF0C0A0ADB5.jpeg
    E8333B3E-218B-4F3D-B1D6-FFF0C0A0ADB5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 167

Cranston Davenport

New in Town
For the most accurate information, it would be useful to have photos of any/all markings on the leather sweatband and photos of any of the labels on the felt behind the sweatband. If the leather is still supple you can flip it down, but don’t do anything that damages the leather. Go slow and be gentle and stop if the leather isn’t up to that much flexing. Looking forward to seeing additional photos.
This is all I can find in the inside, thanks for the response

Attachments

• 3CA6C1A8-4877-420D-8F4F-13C4274F816C.jpeg
    3CA6C1A8-4877-420D-8F4F-13C4274F816C.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 210
  • A68DD9CB-C701-4169-BBDE-0041C5D4A72B.jpeg
    A68DD9CB-C701-4169-BBDE-0041C5D4A72B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 186
  • 2A67614D-AA71-4F66-8FAB-C303BDB3F75E.jpeg
    2A67614D-AA71-4F66-8FAB-C303BDB3F75E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 183
The use of Lot Numbers stopped right about 1940. There should also be a paper label(s) glued to the felt behind the leather sweatband near the back where the two ends of the sweatband butt together. You might need to love the liner a bit to see them. Those labels are useful in telling us a lot about old Stetsons and photos of them will help a lot if you can get them.

EDIT: looks like you already did this. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk