Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hello. This hat has recently fallen into my hands. I would like to know as much as possible about it due to sentimental reasons. Thank you so much as I don’t know where else to turn. Eric

Doubtful you’ll come up with the exact model/name.

It’s very late 1950s to mid 1960s…I lean to the early to mid 1960s. It has an overwelt brim edge, but it’s mostly “just” a fedora. The Royal was/is the entry level fur felt fedora.

Ericmday

New in Town
Look under the leather sweatband inside the hat. There should be a label or labels. Post photos of those.
I found three items for consideration. Any further illumination would be greatly appreciated. Eric

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57

Centaurus3200

New in Town
This is an oddball I had to buy at a local Oakland thrift store.

Seems like the historic old school surf brand commissioned a local Oakland company for Headwear?

It's cool and probably 1970s... But sure doesn't scream "surf culture"? Or maybe it does and i don't know what I'm talking about?

Or it's an unlicensed knock off? Who knows!

Attachments

• 20220812_162559.jpg
    20220812_162559.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 20220812_162611.jpg
    20220812_162611.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
  • 20220812_162628.jpg
    20220812_162628.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hello. This hat has recently fallen into my hands. I would like to know as much as possible about it due to sentimental reasons. Thank you so much as I don’t know where else to turn. Eric

It does have a mix of the conventional dating elements. The keyhole tags lean more towards mid/late 50's, as does the oilskin sweat barrier. The poly tipped liner and black sweatband lean more towards 60's. Not much to add other than what Brent said above. Looks like it's maybe a heather felt?

There are only so many 'known' hat models that we can name by specs, and many of those are educated guesses. Most hat names are simply lost to history.

Iuka Slim

New in Town
I've recently rediscovered this RoyalDeLuxe Stetson, size 7 1/2,
Screenshot_20220815-001119_Reddit.jpg
I bought for $1 at a garage sale in 1983. I knew the original owner, Harry, but I don't think he ever wore it judging by the condition of the hat. I never saw him wear it. It was just an item at the sale when his widow left their house and moved to a nursing home.

My sentimental attachment to the hat is that I think it is the best deal I ever got at a garage sale. It doesn't fit me and none of my kids covet it. I don't think I'll ever wear it but doesn't feel right to toss it.

I'd say, judging by the label on the hatbox, that it was purchased in the 1950's from 'The Hub' department store in Steubenville Ohio and delivered across the river to Harry's house in Weirton WV when it was still rural delivery although there is nothing definitive as to date.
Screenshot_20220815-001115_Reddit.jpg

Is there someplace where this hat belongs?

I've recently rediscovered this RoyalDeLuxe Stetson, size 7 1/2, View attachment 444696 I bought for $1 at a garage sale in 1983. I knew the original owner, Harry, but I don't think he ever wore it judging by the condition of the hat. I never saw him wear it. It was just an item at the sale when his widow left their house and moved to a nursing home.

My sentimental attachment to the hat is that I think it is the best deal I ever got at a garage sale. It doesn't fit me and none of my kids covet it. I don't think I'll ever wear it but doesn't feel right to toss it.

I'd say, judging by the label on the hatbox, that it was purchased in the 1950's from 'The Hub' department store in Steubenville Ohio and delivered across the river to Harry's house in Weirton WV when it was still rural delivery although there is nothing definitive as to date.
View attachment 444697

Is there someplace where this hat belongs?
At $1 it might be the 'buy' of the decade. Nice hat. It is a good size as so many vintage hats are on the small side...smaller than 7 1/4". It is hard to ask us here in the forum to attach a valuation as we are potential buyers and (speaking for myself) would have a strong pull to lower the suggested price. But perhaps someone else might chime in who isn't a 7 1/2" and would not then have a dog in the fight. It is a nice hat and good on you for wanting to pass it on to someone who will value it and perhaps even wear it!!!.

Iuka Slim

New in Town
At $1 it might be the 'buy' of the decade. Nice hat. It is a good size as so many vintage hats are on the small side...smaller than 7 1/4". It is hard to ask us here in the forum to attach a valuation as we are potential buyers and (speaking for myself) would have a strong pull to lower the suggested price. But perhaps someone else might chime in who isn't a 7 1/2" and would not then have a dog in the fight. It is a nice hat and good on you for wanting to pass it on to someone who will value it and perhaps even wear it!!!.
Well, you have me wondering about the size. The tag visible in one of the photo just says "1/2". As it feels just a bit unacceptably snug on my head I assumed that meant 7 1/2.

Well, you have me wondering about the size. The tag visible in one of the photo just says "1/2". As it feels just a bit unacceptably snug on my head I assumed that meant 7 1/2.

If you fold the leather sweatband down there should be a paper label on the felt covered by the leather that will have the whole size. The label is usually close the the back or the hat where the seam of the leather sweatband is. You might need to move the satin liner around to see it. It is either a size 7 1/2 (large/XL) or a size 6 1/2 (Extra Small). I’d bet it’s a 7 1/2, but that label will tell you for sure.

Your hat is a St. Regis which is a popular homburg. They don’t normally sell for as much as much as fedoras but there is certainly a market for it if it’s a size 7 1/2.

Iuka Slim

New in Town
I took a look under the band and found nothing conclusive. On the back of the 1/2 tag itself there is a pencil mark squiggle that looks more like a 7 than a 6 but mostly looks just like squiggle. I'm assuming if it was a 6 1/2 it wouldn't fit on my head at all. I'll try measuring the band tonight. I also noticed that the original owner's initials are printed on the hat band and still clearly visible "H L F" for Harry Lee Frey. Another indication of how little this has been warn. I suspect he bought this at the end of the era where they were standard issue.

I took a look under the band and found nothing conclusive. On the back of the 1/2 tag itself there is a pencil mark squiggle that looks more like a 7 than a 6 but mostly looks just like squiggle. I'm assuming if it was a 6 1/2 it wouldn't fit on my head at all. I'll try measuring the band tonight. I also noticed that the original owner's initials are printed on the hat band and still clearly visible "H L F" for Harry Lee Frey. Another indication of how little this has been warn. I suspect he bought this at the end of the era where they were standard issue.

You'll find it easier to measure the length and width of the opening and calculating the size that way. Measure in inches, add the two measurements, then divide by 2. Pretty good measure of thumb for a hat size.

Ex. 8" x (6 1/2") = (14 1/2")/2 = 7 1/4.

It is possible that it could mean 6 1/2 but that is so very small. The hat ,if it were that size, would just sit on the very top of your head. Vintage hats do have a tendency to shrink a bit over time. So if it is just snug then that is the likely cause. If you place it up for sale mention that it does fit a bit snug on your 7 1/2" head for full disclosure. But don't despair as that means it will likely fit a 7 3/8 which is one of the most common head sizes for men. I make more of that size than any other....probably 50% of the hats I make are that size.

Iuka Slim

New in Town
I do not have a 7 1/2 head. If I did, I'd probably just keep the hat. My head is slightly bigger. I have a giant brain, apparently. When I put on the hat it doesn't feel like it was meant to be, sadly. And, as occasions when I might actually wear it are infrequent, I can't justify trying stretch or reshape a vintage hat in this condition. In that one sense, my head is classier than Kim Karashian's ass.

I do not have a 7 1/2 head. If I did, I'd probably just keep the hat. My head is slightly bigger. I have a giant brain, apparently. When I put on the hat it doesn't feel like it was meant to be, sadly. And, as occasions when I might actually wear it are infrequent, I can't justify trying stretch or reshape a vintage hat in this condition. In that one sense, my head is classier than Kim Karashian's ass.
but hopefully not as big!

Iuka Slim

New in Town

If you fold the leather sweatband down there should be a paper label on the felt covered by the leather that will have the whole size. The label is usually close the the back or the hat where the seam of the leather sweatband is. You might need to move the satin liner around to see it. It is either a size 7 1/2 (large/XL) or a size 6 1/2 (Extra Small). I’d bet it’s a 7 1/2, but that label will tell you for sure.

Your hat is a St. Regis which is a popular homburg. They don’t normally sell for as much as much as fedoras but there is certainly a market for it if it’s a size 7 1/2.
20220816_202213.jpg

I had a closer look today and found the tag. It was really tucked up there. Definitely 7 1/2. Does the info and format of this label also give a clue as the period it was made?

Iuka Slim

New in Town
20220816_202312.jpg

20220816_202036-1.jpg
20220816_201841.jpg

View attachment 445192
I had a closer look today and found the tag. It was really tucked up there. Definitely 7 1/2. Does the info and format of this label also give a clue as the period it was made?

I’d say the hat was from between 1953 and 1959. That’s just a guess, but I’d bet it’s pretty close.

It’s a nice looking St. Regis and I’m sure you can sell or trade it if that’s something you’re interested in.

Iuka Slim

New in Town
I’d say the hat was from between 1953 and 1959. That’s just a guess, but I’d bet it’s pretty close.

It’s a nice looking St. Regis and I’m sure you can sell or trade it if that’s something you’re interested in.
Would ebay be the best place to do that? I'm ready to let go of this. I think it has been a lucky thing that it hasn't been stained, crushed or damaged. Want to get it into hands of people who will let it live a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot