Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

roadtripster

New in Town
Hello, anyone seen the aussie western "Sweet Country"? There is a character named "Mick Kennedy". Can anyone identify his hat for me? Thanks a lot :)
Screenshot from 2022-08-21 07-46-35.png
Screenshot from 2022-08-21 07-47-15.png
Screenshot from 2022-08-21 07-48-32.png
Thomas-M.-Wright-as-Mick-Kennedy-confronting-Philomac-about-what-he-knows-in-Sweet-Country-2017.jpg

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Yep, seen & loved the movie but I prefered Sam's (Hamilton Morris) hat. The hats in the film were typical outback lids & not one is identifiable as a brand or model so if you're looking to acquire the exact same hat off the shelf, your chances are zero.

roadtripster

New in Town
Yep, seen & loved the movie but I prefered Sam's (Hamilton Morris) hat. The hats in the film were typical outback lids & not one is identifiable as a brand or model so if you're looking to acquire the exact same hat off the shelf, your chances are zero.
Thank you. What would be a good hat to get to shape it into one close to Mick Kennedy's ?

Hello, anyone seen the aussie western "Sweet Country"? There is a character named "Mick Kennedy". Can anyone identify his hat for me? Thanks a lot :) View attachment 446080 View attachment 446081 View attachment 446082 View attachment 446083

Make sure you get one that actually fits you and doesn’t flare your ears out as it presses down on them.

To duplicate the look you need to determine dimensions first. To get the same look, dimensions will change based on the hat size of the wearer. I have a large head so I’d guess something close to a 3 3/4” wide brim. For the crown something with a moderate amount of taper but fairly tall to accommodate the crease. If you have a smaller head than I do you’ll need to change the dimensions a bit to get the same look.

What you need to do is go through the Stetson, Resistol, Akubra, etc. catalogs and see if there is something you like. Maybe the Akubra Warrego with a brim trim? Another option is to have a custom hat made, but you’ll need to be sure of all the specifics.

Would ebay be the best place to do that? I'm ready to let go of this. I think it has been a lucky thing that it hasn't been stained, crushed or damaged. Want to get it into hands of people who will let it live a little.
If you do list it on Ebay let us know here in the Lounge. A St Regis is not uncommon so if you do a search of sales for them on Ebay you will get a general idea of the selling price range.

Hello, anyone seen the aussie western "Sweet Country"? There is a character named "Mick Kennedy". Can anyone identify his hat for me? Thanks a lot :) View attachment 446080 View attachment 446081 View attachment 446082 View attachment 446083
You might check out the Akubra Pastoralist. It comes with the telescope crease and has a lower crown than many Akubras (closer to your picture). The hat in your picture is well worn and beat up. The new one will have a definite brim break and the brim will be more at a 90degree angle to the crown. You will have to get the hat wet many times and kicked around before it will take on that 'slouched' look.

Gint

New in Town
Anyone any ideas of what this hat is or something similar?

Attachments

• eb5631c528b36e78002d3aa74218dcb5.jpg
    eb5631c528b36e78002d3aa74218dcb5.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 56
It is a cap rather than a hat. It looks to be a standard 6 panel Newsboy or Gatsby. Just google or Etsy cap makers and you will find all manner of selection including custom makers that will make it to your design.
Correction: 8 panel. Commonly referred to as a "Newsboy", or "Baker boy", or "Big Apple" cap. A lot of companies make them these days, so finding one similar to his shouldn't be too difficult. Most are "cheap", some are dirt cheap, a good one should run you in the $30-75 range. I'd recommend looking at Mucros Weavers' caps--they're well made, hold their shape (unless you abuse them), and comfortable as long as you get the right size for you.

Correction: 8 panel. Commonly referred to as a "Newsboy", or "Baker boy", or "Big Apple" cap. A lot of companies make them these days, so finding one similar to his shouldn't be too difficult. Most are "cheap", some are dirt cheap, a good one should run you in the $30-75 range. I'd recommend looking at Mucros Weavers' caps--they're well made, hold their shape (unless you abuse them), and comfortable as long as you get the right size for you.
I knew it was one of those even numbers!

Look at you with all that knowledge and stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ