Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Herbert Johnson English Hats

Daze

New in Town
Just thought you guys would like to know some history about a 'particular' English Hatter

Responsible for the original Indiana Jones hat, ( the australian model) and others ( the Poet ) If you find an original Australian , you might have a fair amount of spendable on your hands :p and Doctor Who, Tom Baker

http://community.livejournal.com/dw_cosplay/138698.html

Both Indy AND Dr Who used the Herbert Poet
so add a plum coloured frockcoat, waistcoat and unfeasibly long scarf and you might be able to portray both at various times , go go british Hatters!

HERBERT JOHNSON HISTORY , Checked and verified on three internet sources.

( doesn't seem to be room for doubt but I'm a cynical bastage, so i checked on three websites )
In 1872, a young Lad named Herbert Louis Johnson was apprenticed, by his parents, for seven years to hat-makers Lincoln Bennett, to learn the trade. He obviously did well and in 1889 on the somewhat unlikely advice of the Prince of Wales (later to become King Edward VII), he went into business with one Edward John Glazier at 45 New Bond Street, London W1.

The story recounts that one day when the Prince of Wales was riding in the park, his top hat blew off, damaging it. The young Herbert Johnson who happened to be 'to hand', picked up the Royal topper and offered his professional services. The hat was duly repaired. The Prince was pleased and subsequently suggested to the young hero that he set himself up in business. All this came to pass and Herbert Johnson soon became well known for all forms of headwear for the well-dressed gentleman including Royal patronage.

Fame and success came quickly and Kaiser Wilhelm, the Czar of Russia, King George of Greece not to mention the Duke of Clarence - of doubtful fame - amongst other great names, all found their way to Bond Street.

Herbert Johnson continued to work in the business personally until his retirement in 1928. He had made the name synonymous with quality "..a man with a Herbert Johnson hat is a man apart". He has an air of sophistication and assurance such as arises from the knowledge that he is in possession of superb quality craftsmanship". Whether a bowler (black for town, brown for the country or grey for driving), a classic tweed cap for shooting or fishing, a classic Homberg, a hat for racing across the Atlantic or a cap for scoring runs on the village green - it had to be from Herbert Johnson.

Today Herbert Johnson hats can be found in some of the most prestigious retailers world-wide. The company also enjoys a long, successful and continuing relationship with the worlds of both theatre and film.

The military is an equally important patron. Nearly every Regiment patronises Herbert Johnson for dress caps, khaki caps and berets. Bombay bowlers and Polo caps were specially made for Lord Kitchener's troops in the Sudan.

Herbert Johnson military hats are best known for their 'floating bevel'. This concept dates from World War 1, when Herbert Johnson supplied the 'soft topped' cap, then known as the 'Jack Johnson' in response to requests by Generals Haig and French and other senior officers for both a practical and comfortable cap for field operations. After the 2nd World War, many British Regiments who had liked the 'soft topped' cap for field operations, requested that Herbert Johnson produce their dress caps also in the 'floating bevel' style.
Herbert Johnson Military supply the following regiments:

The Household Cavalry:

Life Guards, Royal Horse Guards/1st Dragoons (RHG/D) - More usually known as the The Blues & Royals.

The Guards:

Grenadier Guards, Coldstream Guards, Scots Guards, Irish Guards, Welsh Guards.

The Royal Armoured Corps:

Queen's Dragoon Guards, The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, The Royal Dragoon Guards, The Queen's Royal Hussars, 9th/12th Royal Lancers, The King's Royal Hussars, The Light Dragoons, The Queen's Royal Lancers.

Royal Corps:

Royal Regiment of Artillery, Corps of Royal Engineers, Royal Corps of Signals.

The Queens Division:

The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, The Royal Anglian Regiment

The Kings Division:

The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment (Formerly made up of the King's Own Royal Border Regiment, The King's Regiment, The Queen's Lancashire Regiment.)

The Yorkshire Regiment (previously made up of, The Green Howards, The Prince of Wales's own Regiment, The Duke of Wellington's Regiment)

Prince of Wales's Division:

The Royal Welch (previously made up of the Royal Welch Fusiliers and The Royal Regiment of Wales)

The Mercian Regiment (previously made up of The Cheshire Regiment, The Staffordshire Regiment, Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment.)

The Light Division:

The Rifles (previously made up of The Light Infantry, The Royal Green Jackets, The Devonshire and Dorset Regiment, The Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment)

The Royal Gurkha Rifles

Administrative Department and Corps:

The Royal Logistic Corps, Royal Army Medical Corps, Royal Army Chaplain's Department, Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, Adjutant General's Corps, Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps, The Royal Army Dental Corps.

General Staff.

Overseas Armies & Organisations:

Herbert Johnson has also supplied officers from overseas armies, including The Royal Canadian Horse Artillery and The Royal Australian Armed Forces and has won tenders for organisations such as Kuwait Airways and Singapore Airlines.

Just so you guys know, Military Tailor/ Hatters in the UK tend to charge a small fortune

The hat in my avatar 'CHEAPEST' Quote was over 450 pounds ( around 700 dollars )

However the Quality of a proven English Hatter is unbelievable
Christies pre 1970 , Dunn and Co Pre 1980 , Austin Reed Pre 1970 , Moss Bros pre 1980, these are 'Standards' that are acceptable , not 'The Best ', think 'Stetson' but English.

Herbert Johnson and Lock tend to stand out as amongst the best you can get with the possible exception of some of our European friends ( Borsalino ? ) depending on the type of hat you want

just my thoughts

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Something to add to your info....

Herbert Johnson also made hats for Brooks Brothers.....
I am in the process of trying to get some further info on that.

Mattjh and myself each have one of those hats they made. His is Grey and mine is Chocolate.

Absolutely beautiful hats with the soft feeling of a vintage Borso. When the wind blows the brim bends slightly with it.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Just a mention of someone else whilst we're on hat history,this one I love.Alfred Dunn started selling hats on the streets of Birmingham in the late 19th century and built up his menswear empire from there,when he died in the late 30's he left everything to his employees,it just strikes me as such an unusual thing to do,I own 3 vintage Dunn & co hats and I've got to say the quality is on a par with my modern Lock & co hats,my favourite hat is a beautiful green cashmere felt Dunn porkpie.By the way,I typed borsalino into ebay yesterday and came up with 3 from the US,one of them had a 'sales' line that just had me in hysterics,the guy selling it purported to be a hatter and just slagged borsalinos off completely,he was selling one but used the whole page just to say they were a piece of c**p.I wonder what he'd make of Herbert,Dunn and Lock?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points