Hercules Leather Company (UK) jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Hobbes1, Mar 7, 2020.

1. HerculesLeatherCo

HerculesLeatherCo Vendor

Again sorry about that. I will ask my web guy to check if there is a problem.

In the meantime if you have any questions please send me a dm or email herculesleatherco@gmail.com

All the best

Tony

jonesy86 and handymike like this.
  2. jonesy86

jonesy86 I'll Lock Up

I left a few messages through the web site, but got nothing back, so I sent Tony a DM and he got right back to me. Ordered a jacket through the web site with some specifications, and got an immediate response confirming the order. Again, confirmed with Tony here with a DM, and got a response immediately. 8 weeks leed time.

Product Quantity Price
    1930s Sports Jacket
    Size:
    Colour:
    Russet
    Lining:
    Cotton Blend, Brown
    Zips/Hardware:
    Talon Brass
    Order Notes:
    25 inch pit to pit, 20 inch shoulder, 27 inch sleeve, and left inside pocket.
    1 £240.00
    Subtotal: £240.00
    Shipping: £30.00 via Flat rate
    Payment method: PayPal
    Total: £270.00

IMG_0173.jpg

3. ton312

ton312

The d pocket. I need that.

4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Weren’t you supposed to have it by now?

5. ton312

ton312

Was t ready to go live with the pattern. Sending an email tonight. I really like the look of that one.

SinSir likes this.
  6. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 One of the Regulars

Well, I'm glad I posted the question that started this thread. I can't wait to see some more jackets when the new owners receive them. I'm already thinking about something for the coming Fall

7. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Hercules Leather also posts in our Vendor section, along with examples of his work. Members communicate with him there also.

8. Fiver64

Fiver64 A-List Customer

It’s been over year since anyone posted anything about HERCULES, and their website appears to be dead. Does anyone have any new insight on if their still in business or planning to be?

9. jonesy86

jonesy86 I'll Lock Up

Haven't heard a word from them.

10. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie Call Me a Cab

I‘m glad I got a jacket made before they went out of business again. Good quality for the money. Don‘t expect them to make a comeback, most likely gone.

Jin431 likes this.
  11. jonesy86

jonesy86 I'll Lock Up

I ordered one, sent all the specifications and money, then when covid hit asked for a refund and received it promptly. If they ever come back I would consider trying again.

Jin431 likes this.
  12. ton312

ton312

A real shame. I felt Tony was on the right track with his pattern development and the leather options. Just awful timing I suppose. Really too bad. He could’ve given the big boys a real run for their money.

Fiver64, Zoo, Jin431 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Fiver64

Fiver64 A-List Customer

Agreed. I think that many of the bigger names are starting to price themselves out, especially as economies tighten due to COVID and inflation. I've always wanted a decent PJ-27 but just can't justify $1500 plus. Hercules seemed a good option.

14. Edward

Edward Bartender

Prices have certainly gone up for the established names in first world manufacture. Mostly that reflects rising cost on their part as well, and inevitable price rise to follow - that's how it all goes, alas. Eastman we used to hear a lot about round here, but with their prices having risen to being in line with some of the most expensive Japanese labels, I think they have priced themselves out round here - I did have the impression they were deliberately refocussing the brand on a different market, as opposed to it being purely about rising costs. Looks like it's worked well for them, too.

Rising prices does of course mean that there's a market for a mid-price range product such as what Hercules was offering. I got the impression they were hit at a very vulnerable stage in getting off the ground by Covid hitting their ability to ship product to market; as memory serves, they were working with a manufacturer in Thailand, so getting from there to the UK and elsewhere was difficult in that situation.

Of course, even with rising prices, it's also a finite market. A few new labels have come and gone over the last decade, some a bit 'me too', but others who had seemed to be offering something nice that wasn't "here's a jacket like BrandX but cheaper". Given what I've seen them do for custom jackets here and there, I always thought Wested could be a good bet in the mid-price market, even with their UK-made jackets, but they seem to have established themselves very squarely in the 'cosplay' market (no insult intended there, for sake of clarity) and it's plausible that taking a jump to play to the vintage repro market as well doesn't appeal. (It would be interesting to know how much of their market is Indy vs non-Indy bits.) The big investment for anyone, of course, is always going to be in patterning and grading - there's a big outlay to be made before you start making sales. I'd imagine that's going to make anything new or even a big new direction for an existing business difficult in current circumstances.

Marc mndt likes this.